The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

I would think it’s more likely the non-league side saw opportunity to make some extra ad revenue by having a televised game and hired in some of the digital ad boards (which is now much less than it used to be).

There is probably no alternative and they likely would have agreed to it, but I'd bet UEFA would be quite annoyed that Real Madrid and 1st v. 2nd in the Premier League are playing on the same night as the Champions League on Wednesday. Arsenal v. Man City is at a slightly earlier than expected 19:30 K.O..

Still quite a way off happening, but the Daily Mail is reporting that Welsh rugby players may strike over the lack of contracts and financial agreement agreed for next season in the professional game in Wales. If anything materialises, Wales v. England on the Saturday after next could be in doubt.

twitter.com 

TBH I think they've been on strike for two games already. If they're not meeting until next week though even if they did go through with a strike I think that's too late for the England game as I think they have to give 7 days notice.

(14-02-2023, 10:44 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  TBH I think they've been on strike for two games already.    If they're not meeting until next week though even if they did go through with a strike I think that's too late for the England game as I think they have to give 7 days notice.

I think the Welsh Rugby Union team were on strike last year as well judging by the results.

But, on a serious note the WRU are in a mess with the off field problems and now this latest story.
[-] The following 2 users Like Yorksman's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie

An article on ITV Sport's new green screen studio. The main headlines are that is in Timeline's facilities in Ealing, and it was originally designed as a back up for the FIFA World Cup.

www.svgeurope.org 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, Steve in Pudsey

Scottish Cup TV Coverage

Friday 10 March
Inverness CT v Kilmarnock
BBC Scotland (7.45pm)

Saturday 11 March
Hearts v Celtic
Viaplay Sports 1 (12.15pm)

Sunday 12 March
Rangers v Raith Rovers
Viaplay Sports 1 (1.00pm)

Monday 13 March
Falkirk v Ayr United
BBC Scotland (7.45pm)

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes NI92's post:
  • RhysJR

(13-02-2023, 10:03 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Against The Head had some technical issues tonight on RTÉ2.

They were showing the highlights of England v Italy with Conor Morris at Twickenham and a round up of the U20s from Michael Corcoran twice on tonight's programme.

An unscheduled ad break came up after their first airing which had cut Daire O'Brien off in the studio talking about the U20s from last weekend.

The same packages came back up again once the ad break was over.

It did end just before 9pm but with no apology from Daire for the technical issues.
I watched this back, having missed the live airing, and it seems like the entire middle segment, which should have featured the Scotland v Wales highlights, never aired. Instead the England v Italy highlights and the U20s segment was effectively repeated twice, Really odd.

www.sportbusiness.com 

Disappointing news as it effectively means the price goes from £9 a month to the £35 a month a Sky Sports subscription costs.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

Do we know if amazon put in a bid for the rights or not?

(17-02-2023, 12:35 PM)robertclark125 Wrote:  Do we know if amazon put in a bid for the rights or not?

No idea. I hope they did they coverage as been a lot better than Sky who are very expensive and will likely keep some coverage exclusive to Sky Tv customers with no way for anyone else to access a subscription to get it.