The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(18-02-2023, 11:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  On to other sport and see C4 had simulcast live rights to the Rugby League World Club Challenge this morning and then their first Super League match of the season at lunchtime.    Existing deal ends this year but seems they're talking positively about extending it.

www.totalrl.com 
I haven't got any context to how good these numbers are, but here is the reported viewing figures from yesterday.

twitter.com 

For those old enough to remember. It's been announced that ITV sport legend Dickie Davies has passed .

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, Happy2001, RhysJR

(19-02-2023, 05:19 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  
(18-02-2023, 11:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  On to other sport and see C4 had simulcast live rights to the Rugby League World Club Challenge this morning and then their first Super League match of the season at lunchtime.    Existing deal ends this year but seems they're talking positively about extending it.

www.totalrl.com 
I haven't got any context to how good these numbers are, but here is the reported viewing figures from yesterday.

twitter.com 

Luckily enough, the same account has posted more numbers to add the context I was missing. All in all, the numbers do reflect positively for Channel 4 and the Super League/rugby league as a whole I'd say.

twitter.com 

twitter.com 

(Comparing the World Club Challenege, a 7:50am kick-off)
twitter.com 

(19-02-2023, 09:10 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  For those old enough to remember. It's been announced that ITV sport legend Dickie Davies has passed .

twitter.com 

Sad to hear. I'm way too young to remember him on air sadly, but reading through the many tributes online you can see what a valued broadcaster he was and has left a legacy of inspiring many of his successors in sports broadcasting.

I will share this clip I came across, you can't help but smile.

twitter.com 

(20-02-2023, 12:44 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  
(19-02-2023, 09:10 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  For those old enough to remember. It's been announced that ITV sport legend Dickie Davies has passed .

twitter.com 

Sad to hear. I'm way too young to remember him on air sadly, but reading through the many tributes online you can see what a valued broadcaster he was and has left a legacy of inspiring many of his successors in sports broadcasting.

I will share this clip I came across, you can't help but smile.

twitter.com 
He was to ITV what Des Lynam and Frank Bough were to the BBC. The audiences both Grandstand and World of Sport would attract on Saturday afternoons were colossal. Some lovely tributes on Breakfast this morning.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • RhysJR

And he didn't confine himself to sport. Here he is, professionally as ever, doing two reports for a regular staff video, for British rails railfreight sector in 1987!

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes robertclark125's post:
  • RhysJR

(14-02-2023, 07:16 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Still quite a way off happening, but the Daily Mail is reporting that Welsh rugby players may strike over the lack of contracts and financial agreement agreed for next season in the professional game in Wales. If anything materialises, Wales v. England on the Saturday after next could be in doubt.

twitter.com 

Talks went down to the wire with the players and it has been decided that Wales v. England is ON

twitter.com 

In other Six Nations news, The Times reported on Saturday that Guinness will not be renewing their title sponsorship of the competition. So, to tie in to our discussion on the eve of the tournament, looks like there will be an ideal chance to refresh the branding and on-screen look next year.

Quote:Guinness to pull out as Six Nations sponsor
Guinness is not expected to renew its £8 million-a-year Six Nations rugby title sponsorship after it expires next season, according to industry sources.

The drinks brand took over as sponsor from RBS in 2019, after the bank was unwilling to meet the price demanded by the Six Nations to renew. Curiously, the Six Nations had to settle for an offer from Guinness that was lower than the sum RBS had been prepared to pay.

Six Nations insiders insist that the partnership with Guinness continues to be a happy one, but the ban on alcohol advertising in France is clearly a big challenge and explains why the brand has pushed its alcohol-free stout so hard.

A spokeswoman for Guinness’ parent company Diageo said it was happy with its Six Nations partnership and added: “It’s far too early to speculate on the future.”

www.thetimes.co.uk 

New standard graphics in use for Super Rugby from today - they’re quite nice. Not sure if just for the world feed or on the domestic Sky NZ/Stan broadcast too.

(24-02-2023, 09:44 AM)Rdd Wrote:  New standard graphics in use for Super Rugby from today - they’re quite nice. Not sure if just for the world feed or on the domestic Sky NZ/Stan broadcast too.

The highlights from the team's YouTube channels use the same graphics, also with a Sky Sport 'ident' and DOG, so it is safe to assume the domestic feeds use those graphics.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Rdd

It’s the first time Super Rugby has had standard tournament graphics, though at one stage the classic Sky NZ “spinning rugby balls” graphics were almost de facto standard as Fox Sports Australia (who had the Australian rights at the time) used them to albeit recoloured. Even now Sky (U.K./Irl) are still repeating matches from that era as filler.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR