French TV - News Discussion

I do find France24 can be useful for a quick no-nonsense world news update. Basic, but informative. They may come at coverage from a French perspective, but for a lot of stories that doesn't make much difference in reality compared to say the BBC. And coming at things from a French perspective does mean more extensive coverage of Africa compared to 'Anglosphere media'
[-] The following 1 user Likes excel99's post:
  • gman

I noticed France 24 English's Cannes coverage has been stripped down. Arts24 has been a presenter in the studio with Eve Jackson DTL reporting.

When Arts24 was Encore, they'd do a full package of interviews and segways from Cannes.

Franceinfo on the other hand have done coverage from the red carpet replacing Patricia Losion's show and live updates during the morning show.

(Yesterday, 12:30 PM)excel99 Wrote:  I do find France24 can be useful for a quick no-nonsense world news update. Basic, but informative. They may come at coverage from a French perspective, but for a lot of stories that doesn't make much difference in reality compared to say the BBC. And coming at things from a French perspective does mean more extensive coverage of Africa compared to 'Anglosphere media'

It's also one of the few places where one can catch a weekend bulletin at half past thanks to their bulletins being 15 mins long and repeated at the half hour (or at least they used to be before the revamp, ever since it's been a little unclear).

(Yesterday, 07:40 AM)Independent Wrote:  The topic of France 24's French Connections this week was the French government wants to merge its domestic and global public TV and radio stations into a "French BBC". Makes sense to unify them under one brand.
France 24's annual budget of 300 million euros (between four channels I believe) is apparent. They're slow at breaking news and often repeat news bulletins (less repeats since the revamp earlier this year) and their "producer-reporters" for a lack of a better term often produce packages for two different stories. The voice-overs for translations are done by this same small group of journalists. For some reason they don't have their on-the-scene correspondents produce packages. They do live shots but no packages.
I wonder what they would be like if they got a budget comparable to the BBC.
www.youtube.com 

I have very little hope for anything with direct political involvement. Just this week, as part of these plans, one of Macron's party's deputies tasked with doing a few media rounds about it said that under this plan, the government would commit to expanding the channel's reach, like establishing a bureau in Beirut. France24's staff were quick to reply to a Tweet of the interview explaining that they already had a bureau in Beirut... and that has been the case since the channel was founded.