BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(07-04-2023, 03:59 PM)Andrew Wrote:  A ridiculous gear change just then on BBC News

They broke the news of the death of Paul Catermole from S Club 7, and then went straight into a ridiculous regional news story about a group of people who meet up to laugh with the clip consisting of basically 1 minute of continuous laughing.

It's not even on the ticker/flipper because of course that is still broken. Im sure even GB News would have fixed things by now.

(07-04-2023, 03:59 PM)Andrew Wrote:  A ridiculous gear change just then on BBC News

They broke the news of the death of Paul Catermole from S Club 7, and then went straight into a ridiculous regional news story about a group of people who meet up to laugh with the clip consisting of basically 1 minute of continuous laughing.

Which is better covered by a UK opt out because it causing a explain things to international viewers. Through I think there is some in the world that may know who S Club 7 is.

The break playouts will be pre-determined probably. I agree that is not ideal if a news story like that breaks.

(07-04-2023, 04:56 PM)StreamingTV Wrote:  

Which is better covered by a UK opt out because it causing an explain things to international viewers. Through I think there is some in the world that may know who S Club 7 is.

There was a perfect opportunity for world to go to a break and then Matthew could have delivered the breaking news which was more appropriate for the UK audience.

It seems the ditching of the ticker is intentional rather than caused by technical problems. Looks like the ticker will not return as implied by this tweet:
twitter.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ALV's post:
  • chrisherald

(07-04-2023, 05:16 PM)ALV Wrote:  It seems the ditching of the ticker is intentional rather than caused by technical problems. Looks like the ticker will not return as implied by this tweet:
twitter.com 

It's an interesting choice of image for him to make that point, as the ticker *is* clearly legible in that photo. I understand the overarching point - but it doesn't really apply in this setting. If somebody is watching on a mobile and is unable to make out the ticker, they will ignore it. However, it's of great importance to those watching on larger screens who are still a large majority of the audience.
[-] The following 12 users Like strollfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, fanoftv, Frances, insert_good_username_here, James, Jayesyn, Jeff, LDN, Reith85, SuperSajuuk

If it's so illegible and pointless, then why even keep it there with the website address which supposedly nobody will be able to read either? May as well just get rid of the banner entirely and free up the screen space, that really is pointless.
[-] The following 20 users Like James2001's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chaose, chris, Frances, freeaxe, harshy, Ittr, James, Jayesyn, Jeff, JJJJ, Juicy Joe, LDN, Quantum+83, radiorebel, Reith85, SuperSajuuk, Telefunken, TVFan

The thing that confuses me is the fact that over time, mobile phone screens have actually gotten larger - so really the issue of legibility is less of a problem (as mentioned, the tweet shows the ticker is perfectly legible). I also don't think that future proofing should get in the way of still providing for TV - at the end of the day, it's still a TV news service as well as being available on mobile, etc and it shouldn't be ignored.
[-] The following 15 users Like newsdesk's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chaose, chrisherald, fanoftv, Frances, freeaxe, insert_good_username_here, Ittr, James, Jeff, oscillon, Quantum+83, Reith85, SuperSajuuk

(07-04-2023, 05:35 PM)newsdesk Wrote:  The thing that confuses me is the fact that over time, mobile phone screens have actually gotten larger - so really the issue of legibility is less of a problem (as mentioned, the tweet shows the ticker is perfectly legible). I also don't think that future proofing should get in the way of still providing for TV - at the end of the day, it's still a TV news service as well as being available on mobile, etc and it shouldn't be ignored.

And we've seen in the past what happens when how something works on mobile phones is places ahead of other mediums... it's how we ended up with the mess that was Windows 8!
[-] The following 8 users Like James2001's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chaose, Frances, Jeff, LargelyALurker, oscillon, Quantum+83

I like how they're trying to be future proof by cutting back some graphical elements they deemed "legacy", BUT they're still stuck in the 4:3 safezone. Maybe removing that will give them more flexibility?

(Yes I know some providers still broadcast in 4:3, well in that case just letterbox the 16:9 feed...)
[-] The following 4 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83