BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

Unsure if it's a common thing or related to the strap update later today, but the strap is animating separately from the BBC News logo.
[-] The following 1 user Likes what's post:
  • chrisherald

(26-06-2023, 01:23 AM)what Wrote:  Unsure if it's a common thing or related to the strap update later today, but the strap is animating separately from the BBC News logo.

That's standard when programmes are coming from Singapore, the lower thirds come from their gallery but not the ticker/logo which means the logo can't animate up and down with it and the programme slug has to sit above it rather than be part of the ticker.

Whatever the limitations are on them providing the ticker now, back in the days of BBC World News/BBC News having seperate graphics with the different channel logos coming from the galleries in London, it would've been impossible to do from Singapore without having additional lines half the way around the world for the different versions!

I think it's been said that this isn't the case for Washington because a London gallery is still used - I'm sure someone can confirm that.
[-] The following 7 users Like Transmission's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, Ma76, TVHead, what, xlalonce

Sallys Back today for the 5am start, which i'm happy about as missed her for the 5am starts the last few weeks, sign of things to come today?

And the breaking news strap is now the regular strap (obviously sans the "breaking" tag). Wonder what they'll do for breaking news now?
[-] The following 6 users Like what's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Well it looks like we’re getting permanent big red Breaking-style graphics.
[-] The following 6 users Like chris's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain

New strap

[Image: 2023-06-26_09h01_50.png]
[-] The following 3 users Like TVenthusiasm's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

(25-06-2023, 08:09 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  No doubt that in a step to strengthen the BBC News brand, and in response to a viewer survey where 1% of viewers said they liked the red breaking news strap BBC News will launch a consistent bright red for all straps that can be read while viewers have their eyes shut.

Well this post aged well

(26-06-2023, 09:02 AM)chris Wrote:  Well it looks like we’re getting permanent big red Breaking-style graphics.
Just awful.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 13 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chris, chrisherald, harshy, ilsondan15, James, oscillon, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk, thePineapple, Universal_r, UTVLifer

(23-06-2023, 11:58 PM)Worzel Wrote:  A mix of topics about the merged news channel on Newswatch.

[[snip]]

Nicky Campbell's simulcast came up. As part of his response, Paul Royall said that viewers can still get the headlines at the bottom of the screen - I assume he's referring to the ticker, which doesn't work half the time?
If only that was true for the entire programme. So far today the ticker was displaying 3 or 4 news headlines for the first couple minutes. However, since then it's defaulted back to only showing how you can contact the programme. I'd therefore question Paul Royall's claim that viewers can still get headlines at the bottom of the screen, though he was presumably having to recite from a pre-agreed statement/script.

Seemingly the current incarnation of the ticker can't cope with showing both news headlines and contact details, as I can't believe nobody has thought of that. (Also 3 headlines on a ticker is hardly sufficient, but that's a wider post-channel merger problem.)

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 5 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, ilsondan15, Ma76, Quantum+83

I mean, I guess there are arguments in favour of red being BBC News' colour (with it not being particularly prominent at the minute) and it drawing the eye. And, sure, it's sort of a logical conclusion of affording your three main stories the level of coverage previously given to big ones. But I don't think this is the right decision, especially as audiences will be conditioned to view red straps from the BBC as a sign of breaking news. I feel that this a) arguably tricks viewers into thinking a story is more significant than it is and b) gives them no room to go to signify genuinely major breaking stories.