BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

I've been meaning to ask this question for months, but does anyone else think the 'Electric Friends' profile loaded for Clive Myrie in Studio B makes him look like incredibly short when sat at the desk.

Just watching the 6 jolted me into eventually asking the question.

[Image: Myrie%201.png]

[Image: Myrie%202.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

(23-06-2023, 06:32 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I've been meaning to ask this question for months, but does anyone else think the 'Electric Friends' profile loaded for Clive Myrie in Studio B makes him look like incredibly short when sat at the desk.

Just watching the 6 jolted me into eventually asking the question.

[Image: Myrie%201.png]

[Image: Myrie%202.png]

I’m sure I read somewhere that the cameras automatically adjust white balance etc and framing of the subject so they’re always properly in shot. Could just be he sits on a lower chair than others?
[-] The following 4 users Like news junkie's post:
  • chrisherald, JosiahStuart, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

the last couple of days ive been strggling to sleep so have been watching the new channe alot to pass the time, but ive noticed that some stories just get reapted so often, the across the UK stories i get they get cycled out pretty often, but just watched a story about the Dam in Ukraine which was on yesterday & last night, i would of thought they could of edited it a bit so it wasnt exactly the same, i know its coming to the weekend but its not what id expect
[-] The following 1 user Likes TJTSW's post:
  • chrisherald

A mix of topics about the merged news channel on Newswatch.

A viewer mentioned about the presenter debacle in which BBC News responded by saying they don't comment on HR matters.

The subject of the branded segments (Daily Global, Verified Live etc) came up. Paul Royall said, I quote: 'We've only launched that branding fairly recently, the channel isn't even in its new format, even three months old'. They're still pushing the line that Verified Live has a link with the new 'hub' but there's very little evidence of this on screen?

Nicky Campbell's simulcast came up. As part of his response, Paul Royall said that viewers can still get the headlines at the bottom of the screen - I assume he's referring to the ticker, which doesn't work half the time?

They've carried out an audience survey which shows 60% of UK viewers surveyed were happy with the mix of UK vs Global news on the channel.

The overnight Washington/Singapore broadcasts were raised. Not much was said on this other than the BBC are 'following the sun'.

Phillip Schofield coverage was mentioned by Samira, but wasn't commented on by Paul directly.

Meanwhile, Newswatch was presented from a clip studio with a slightly dodgy rendered recording of studio E's newsroom backdrop. I thought they used one of the language service's studios?

To add insult to branding injury, Paul Royall was situated in the business newsroom, with out of date branding on the monitors behind him showing the first version of the Gill Sans 'BBC' and Reith 'NEWS' box - at least 2 refreshes out of date.

I did watch and think the same, I think they could of extended newswatch to give better coverage, but it was clear Paul wasn't going to back down and defend it, but it did make me cringe when me mentioned that the new channel wasnt in the new format yet,
so its clear theyare going to carry on with this mess for now at least till its too late
[-] The following 13 users Like TJTSW's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Juicy Joe, News76, Newsroom, Nige, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(23-06-2023, 11:58 PM)Worzel Wrote:  A mix of topics about the merged news channel on Newswatch.

A viewer mentioned about the presenter debacle which BBC News responded by saying they don't comment on HR matters.

The subject of the branded segments (News Now, Verified Live etc) came up. Paul Royall said, I quote 'We've only launched that branding recently, the channel isn't even in its new format, even three months old'. They're still pushing the line that Verified Live has a link with the new 'hub' but there's very little evidence of this on screen?

Nicky Campbell's simulcast came up. Paul Royall said that viewers still get the news at the bottom of the screen - I assume he's referring to the ticker, which doesn't work half the time?

Apparently they've carried out some audience survey (with who?) which shows 60% of UK viewers were happy with the news mix of UK vs Global news.

The overnight Washington/Singapore were raised. Not much was said. Other than the BBC are 'following the Sun'.

Phillip Schofield coverage was mentioned by Samira, but wasn't commented on by Paul directly.

Meanwhile, Newswatch was presented from a clip studio with a badly rendered recording of studio E's newsroom backdrop. I thought they used one of the language service's studios.

To add insult to branding injury, Paul Royall was situated in the business newsroom, with out of date branding on the monitors showing the first iterateration of the Gill Sans 'BBC' and Reith 'NEWS' box.

Not good enough is what i would say to his comment and quite patronizing on some of the points 

1-3 Months out is not recent in my book

2-Someone needs to tell him the difference between a Radio programme and a news Programme.

3-They have surveyed the wrong people

4-It's no longer a HR Matter since Deadline/Jake Kantar commented on the presenter debacle on Tuesday.
[-] The following 6 users Like News76's post:
  • AndrewP, Juicy Joe, Nige, Quantum+83, Reith85, TJTSW

(24-06-2023, 12:08 AM)TJTSW Wrote:  I did  watch and think the same, I think they could of extended newswatch to give better coverage, but it was clear Paul  wasn't going to back down and defend it, but it did make me cringe when me mentioned that the new channel wasnt in the new format yet,
so its clear theyare going to carry on with this mess for now at least till its too late

What does “not in the new format” even mean? Will there be another relaunch later in the year / next year?
[-] The following 7 users Like chris's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Juicy Joe, Quantum+83, thePineapple, TJTSW

60% satisfaction amongst viewers (rather than the population) with the UK/Global mix doesn't seem like something you brag about.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Aaron, AndrewP, EastCoast, matthieu1221, Quantum+83, Stuart, thePineapple, TJTSW

I can't believe Paul Royall defended the Nicky Campbell simulcast by saying that audiences can still get news through the flipper that hardly ever works.

Does Paul Royall even watch his own channel?
[-] The following 7 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, harshy, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, SuperSajuuk, Universal_r

(24-06-2023, 07:53 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  60% satisfaction amongst viewers (rather than the population) with the UK/Global mix doesn't seem like something you brag about.

Yes, I just watched that and thought exactly the same. If four in ten viewers think the mix is wrong, that’s not brilliant!

I suspect it’s also a very difficult thing to ‘survey’ anyway.

I think Paul Royall is very good, but I did feel watching him that he was going through the scripted lines defending something he perhaps doesn’t 100% believe in…
[-] The following 2 users Like steve's post:
  • Quantum+83, TJTSW