BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(31-10-2023, 09:25 PM)DTV Wrote:  They could arguably create an ad-free version of the World feed, but there just isn't enough demand relative to the effort. I doubt many UK viewers are even aware of there being a World feed to begin with, and even then, the two feeds shows exactly the same thing for the overwhelming majority of UK viewing hours.
Will it really take up a lot of effort though? To me, the so called "ad-free" version of the World feed will basically be a separate regional variation from Red Bee Pres... It'll have its own playlist of weather bulletins, promos during breaks just like other regions. 

The MCR from Red Bee is pretty sophisticated with automation already. It can do stuff such as playing the breakfiller for specific regions while other regions air a promo board before a sponsored pre-record program; or air different pre-records for different regions (e.g "Politics Europe" for the Europe feed, WNA repeats for North America during UK overnights...) The same mechanism can be adopted for the UK feed.

It's been 7 months after the merger and I'm still wondering why the UK feed is still originating from the active galleries in NBH, rather than handing control over to Red Bee Pres just like other regions... This can provide more downtimes for the galleries so they don't have to be on air and transmitting 24/7...
[-] The following 3 users Like ALV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, xlalonce

(31-10-2023, 09:59 PM)ALV Wrote:  Will it really take up a lot of effort though? To me, the so called "ad-free" version of the World feed will basically be a separate regional variation from Red Bee Pres... It'll have its own playlist of weather bulletins, promos during breaks just like other regions.
It's not a huge amount of effort, but will require extra planning and resources for something that I have never seen any demand for outside of this forum. I just don't see what could possibly incentivise the BBC to produce and promote a second version of a channel that is largely the same as the first version, but where the differences (which are primarily either network simulcasts (which typically rate better than surrounding programming) or UK breaking news) are less relevant for the UK audience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • chrisherald

I am not saying full time, just when occasions like this happen when the Uk feed was showing the covid-19 enquiry but give us the choice to continue the world feed as a pop up stream?

(31-10-2023, 11:05 PM)harshy Wrote:  I am not saying full time, just when occasions like this happen when the Uk feed was showing the covid-19 enquiry but give us the choice to continue the world feed as a pop up stream?
It would probably be more effort to do it this way as you're making it something that has to be deliberately turned on and off. And even then, there seems very little demand for it. As I've said, the only time I've ever seen this issue raised is on here - if forum members really want to see the World feed, it is possible via both satellite and online.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, chrisherald

Once again, the generic Newsnight trailer on the News Channel at 10pm promised ‘a first look at tomorrow’s front pages’ but then didn’t deliver this at the end of the programme. I don’t understand why the need for a generic trailer and why it can’t be an actual trailer each night as it surely can’t take that much to produce something that lasts 10 seconds.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newshound's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, ilsondan15

(30-10-2023, 09:43 PM)DTV Wrote:  I've been saying for years, but these days it's eminently possible to create good quality 'montage' skylines including a mixture of urban and rural landmarks from across each region. Would be so much better than the often non-descript one-city-centric backdrops they currently use, and is basically in the same spirit as English regional title sequences for the past two decades.

It's not exactly the same, but BBC World News' original NBH London backdrops were idealised montages - to the extent I expect even some on here didn't realise - so it's clearly doable.

If I remember correctly the North West Tonight back drop was an edited version of the view. I’m sure they’ve moved the imperial war museum so it’s in shot and removed the coronation street studios. 

I was watching the covid live feed on iplayer. I have to admit it took me by surprise the language and I’ve been known to through a few of those words in myself to wind up the odd friend or two. 

It does show you how easily the media’s attention can be caught. There’s hardly been any mention of Ukraine at all. What is going on it absolutely horrendous, that goes without saying, but the odd bbc one bulletin I’ve caught doesn’t feel correctly weighted. I’ve always felt the BBC one bulletins are to give you the main stories of the day without focusing for too long one on particular story. The news channel should be the place to spend longer on something or revisit it repeatedly.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 2 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

(31-10-2023, 07:04 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Another left field choice for the Festival of Rememberance, with Clare Balding listed to present it.
So not a news name at all, although a notable BBC presenter who will probably do an excellent job.

The Lord Mayor's Show earlier in the day with some more left field appointments in Scott Mills on commentary and Mwaka Mudenda reporting. A bit of a departure from the likes of Dan Snow and Petric Trelawney who have commentated on that in the recent past.
I don't think the Festival of Rememberance needs a news voice, just someone well known who's capable of doing serious. There's a few radio people who'd be great at it, including Petroc Trelawny but aren't that well known on TV. 

The next morning does need a more newsy person. With Huw out of action they're missing the big state event voice. 

As for the Lord Mayors Show, it baffles me that it is still on TV in 2023. Especially in these days of cutting budgets everywhere, why waste money on something that is totally irrelevant to everyone? It was annoying as a kid as well, always meant a shorter Going Live!
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, fatal paper cut, Stuart

(31-10-2023, 09:21 PM)TVHead Wrote:  Block by block, the BBC News chameleon titles are slowly coming together...

Wow when you put them side by side, the BBC Reith "6" really looks terrible next to the mighty Gill Sans.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(01-11-2023, 10:32 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  Wow when you put them side by side, the BBC Reith "6" really looks terrible next to the mighty Gill Sans.
I'd say looking at the Reith '6' on its own it isn't too bad of its own volition when in isolation. But with the way that the titles have been spliced and diced and the '6' is Chameleonised - pun unintended - in that globe returning to the 2008 style titles and not on top like in the 2013 style titles. Under the Reith typeface - both Sans and Serif - it does seem as if they need to possibly remove the numerals from the titles entirely and go for wordmarks like 'ONE', 'SIX' & 'TEN'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AaronLancs's post:
  • chrisherald

(01-11-2023, 09:35 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I don't think the Festival of Rememberance needs a news voice, just someone well known who's capable of doing serious. There's a few radio people who'd be great at it, including Petroc Trelawny but aren't that well known on TV. 

The next morning does need a more newsy person. With Huw out of action they're missing the big state event voice. 
Remembrance Sunday at the Cenotaph is still done by David Dimbleby