BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(04-01-2024, 06:13 PM)news junkie Wrote:  I think these are the ‘single story streams’ that the bbc seem excited by. I think at the time it is essentially the UK opt. However after it has ended it seems to just repeat the reports related to it throughout the day until someone turns it off. So I think it’s live to begin with then is perhaps a little bit misleading

Sometimes it can also just be a locked-off camera pointing at Number 10 or a court building or the like, before springing into life when either the UK opt or the news channel itself starts covering the story.
[-] The following 8 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Imaginativename, news junkie, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Something that just seems a bit odd on BBC News - just before 9:50 Lauren Taylor mentioned coverage continues in 10 minutes… followed by 3min or so weather forecast and now a series of programme trailers!
Is it common to have such a gap like this? Countdown came in at 20 seconds
[-] The following 1 user Likes mccanmat's post:
  • chrisherald

Yes, because the global feed airs something sponsored in those kinds of slots.

It’s similar to how we had the infamous Guide Dogs film every night when the merged channel first launched. They have to cover commercial content up somehow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald

Odd shift patterns today.

Lauren Taylor did up until 11:00am, then we got Tanya Beckett for an hour, and now Lucy is on for her regular BBC News Now slot.

Why would they have a presenter appear for only an hour?

(05-01-2024, 01:03 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  Odd shift patterns today.

Lauren Taylor did up until 11:00am, then we got Tanya Beckett for an hour, and now Lucy is on for her regular BBC News Now slot.

Why would they have a presenter appear for only an hour?

Tanya was in the UK opt out studio so I would assume that Lauren was still on around the world. Also I imagine Tanya did the 7am-9am slot as the UK opt out presenter usually does.
[-] The following 3 users Like michaelb's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice

Oh, that makes sense!

I missed that, apologies. Tanya only appeared in vision briefly at the end of the hour, and the usual newsroom background noise seemingly wasn’t there (maybe everyone was at lunch!) so I didn’t notice.

(05-01-2024, 10:59 AM)mccanmat Wrote:  Something that just seems a bit odd on BBC News - just before 9:50 Lauren Taylor mentioned coverage continues in 10 minutes… followed by 3min or so weather forecast and now a series of programme trailers!
Is it common to have such a gap like this? Countdown came in at 20 seconds

Wasn’t just me then! New year, I thought I’d watch a little bit of the channel to see how things are progressing. Watching that back half hour with some of the news reports that could have easily been a feature on a show like Morning Live, missing footage of floods in ‘Northern Europe’, a live shot of some politicians milling around and then finishing at :50 for a series of trailers after the weather. Absolutely unwatchable as a serious news channel!

Could they not at least fill in a bit after the Global feed opt out for us in the UK with a News in brief segment?!
[-] The following 5 users Like JamieD's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Roger Darthwell

(05-01-2024, 02:12 PM)JamieD Wrote:  Wasn’t just me then! New year, I thought I’d watch a little bit of the channel to see how things are progressing. Watching that back half hour with some of the news reports that could have easily been a feature on a show like Morning Live, missing footage of floods in ‘Northern Europe’, a live shot of some politicians milling around and then finishing at :50 for a series of trailers after the weather. Absolutely unwatchable as a serious news channel!

Could they not at least fill in a bit after the Global feed opt out for us in the UK with a News in brief segment?!

Of course they could, and they should, but there still seems to be litttle will to “adapt” the global feed sensibly. It’s always just main (global) feed do their own thing, and if a major story breaks in the UK, use the opt studio. Absolutely crazy given that, just a few years ago, such “in brief” roundups were routine.
[-] The following 4 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, JamieD, LargelyALurker

Can't read so I'm not sure if there are any exact details in this.

www.thetimes.co.uk 
[-] The following 9 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Michael Wotton, oscillon, Quantum+83, RhysJR

I have access to it, and in essence it summarises what we already know, speculating that since recent events there is now a need for more presenters and they will come back.

The BBC officially refused to comment; meanwhile the internal investigation, it is confirmed, found no wrongdoing on the part of the BBC.