Sky News

Interesting given David Rhodes was hired for the [abandoned] first attempt at News UK to launch what is now Talk TV.

Certainly shows that comcast are planning for better use to the assets of Sky group, as the guaranteed funding period comes to its end in 2028

There's an interesting conflict between what he pitched to News UK as essential for a news channel (and had a history of at CBS) which is essentially polished , proud broadcast content as a shopwindow into online; and the Ryley era removal of TV pizazz in favour of online clicks

Perhaps the channel will move on from the mediocre HR training video vibe of its broadcast production and editorial voice.
[-] The following 5 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • bkman1990, Gibsy, Kojak, matthieu1221, Pips2022

As I predicted a few weeks ago. Let's certainly hope so, anyway.

(02-02-2023, 10:43 PM)Kojak Wrote:  John Ryley's replacement will no doubt want to make their own mark on the channel, so here's hoping...

Dermot Murnaghan to leave Sky at Easter

Apologies if this has already been posted...

twitter.com 

(27-02-2023, 03:42 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  Dermot Murnaghan to leave Sky at Easter

Apologies if this has already been posted...

twitter.com 

pres.cafe 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Daveuk

Jonathan Levy is a good choice to replace Ryley as a day-to-day controller - less gimmick-driven, high on integrity and will probably move Sky away from some of the clickbaity stuff.

I don't think the expansion into digital has been in vain to be very honest. The amount of engagement that Sky gets on TikTok for instance can only be a good thing. It's an entire age demographic that would otherwise be untapped.

With the demise of BBC News Channel, this is such a unique chance for Sky News to be the home of UK rolling/breaking news, again. Drop all the specialized shows and useless filler, bring back double headed bulletins hour after hour. This is what Sky News did when they were at the top!
[-] The following 5 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • Gibsy, Juicy Joe, Kojak, matthieu1221, Pips2022

(28-02-2023, 06:08 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  With the demise of BBC News Channel, this is such a unique chance for Sky News to be the home of UK rolling/breaking news, again. Drop all the specialized shows and useless filler, bring back double headed bulletins hour after hour. This is what Sky News did when they were at the top!

Why not tweet David Rhodes and see if you get a response

(28-02-2023, 06:08 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  With the demise of BBC News Channel, this is such a unique chance for Sky News to be the home of UK rolling/breaking news, again. Drop all the specialized shows and useless filler, bring back double headed bulletins hour after hour. This is what Sky News did when they were at the top!

I get the sense (though I don’t know for certain) that John Ryley was never a big fan of two-presenter news. It was he who ditched it back in 2007 for that awful main presenter/side presenter format (which itself was ditched after a few years). When duos did come back they were ditched again within a few years.

As for the climate show, I suspect (though again I don’t know) that that was an initiative imposed by Sky itself - they do love their campaigns, after all!

Controversially I'd like them to move the studio output all to Millbank, while closing the vanity project studio at Sky Central.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • AJB39, Brekkie, Pips2022