French TV - News Discussion

Quite amusing to end up voting earlier than y'all Brits! Worth noting that unlike in 2022 there's only 1 week between the 2 tours.

Lots to figure out for broadcasters for something happening in just 3 weeks. Whilst there was speculation Macron might dissolve the AN, I don't think it was something that widely circulated so in terms of contingencies for broadcasters -- might be a similar situation to Sunak's surprise election.

There's also candidate selection and the left who may or may not try to fight the election as a united front, so will be lots to talk about even if the first few days. That leaves about 2 weeks for actual campaigning... can't imagine there being more than 2 debates (possibly even 1?). BFMTV and France 2 might want to do their 'grand format' interview shows (Face a BFMTV for the former, the one in the 'funerium' set for the latter), but even then that's not a lot of time to have everyone that matters on.

Will be thus very interesting to see what choices are made by broadcasters... and of course, the stricter rules of temps de parole will be coming into effect too.
[-] The following 2 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • London Lite, UTVLifer

Franceinfo finally handed over to France 24 at 0030.

All news channels remain in edition speciale mode today.

On LCI the Europeennes 2024 branding is still being used.
i.imgur.com 

Over on BFMTV it's branded as La Dissolution on the newsbar but otherwise it's the standard Edition Speciale graphics package. Benjamin Duhamel and Julie Hammett are presenting a special program from 8:30pm.
i.imgur.com 

France 24 heavily covering the story but back to the normal graphics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • London Lite

The ARCOM has just announced that the count of 'temps de parole' on TV and Radio will start tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6am.

www.arcom.fr 

On BFMTV (and most likely elsewhere) there is a 'délégué pluralisme et diversité' who is in charge of keeping track of parties' airtime. BFM Inside did a nice video presenting the job in the run up to the 2022 Presidential Election.
www.youtube.com 

Luckily for the news channels, if I recall correctly from the last legislatives, each party counts separately even if they are in a wider coalition like the NUPES. Which is good news for them to sort out the 'temps de parole' given how the left (and the far-right seemingly) will not get their ducks in a row with coalition agreements before tomorrow.
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • London Lite

France 2 dumped the lunchtime gameshows for Macron's party manifesto launch presented from the Franceinfo set which then went straight into the 13h news.