French TV - News Discussion

I've had a look at some of the regional election debates on France.tv from last week.

They used the ici regional sets, presented by the main ici 19/20 presenter and another from radio station France Bleu for the region.

Despite having large regions, each sub-opt had their own local debate, although I don't know what France 3 Corse (Corsica) aired in it's place? Same for France 3 Sat which I'd assume would take Paris IDF's debate.

EDIT: France 3 Sat took a documentary called Quand le mer, Menace les villes which was DOG free.

Considering there's a significant election in France next Sunday, according to the EPG Franceinfo are going into summer holiday mode.

The only normal bulletins are La Matinale, Franceinfo 8.30, Les informés, L'info s'eclaire, 11/13 info, 19/20 info and 23h info with the afternoons padded with Le fil info which I expect to be live at the top of the hour for 30 minutes, then repeated.

It's an improvement on the 2023 holiday when I think only La Matinale and 23h info were the only named bulletins.

Next weekend appears to be La Matinale, the usual Franceinfo radio simulcasts and 23h info that are normal with an election programme on Sunday evening.

Franceinfo seem to have had a change of heart and the normal branded shows are on this week with largely stand-ins.

La Matinale: Normal team.
L'info s'eclaire: Normal presenter.
11/13 info: Christophe Gascard.
Au cœur de l'info: Alexandra Uzan (usual 23h presenter) and Pauline Forgue.
Le monde de Loison: Patrice Romedenne with the usual On Vous Répond presenter Myriam Bounafaa.
19/20 info: Normal presenter.

What an interesting poach. David Doukhan, current head of the Politics team at Le Parisien/Aujourd'hui en France (and formerly of Europe 1 before the Bollorisation of that) is joining LCI from September and host and editor in chief of the Friday-Sunday 6pm/8pm slot. He's also going to be present in the Sunday midday politics show. He replaces Emmanuel Ostian (who may now possibly replace Darius Rochebin from 8pm/midnight?) on Fridays and Saturdays and Rochebin on Sundays (who is moving to replace Eric Brunet on the weekday 10pm/midnight slot).

Is the arrival of a political journalist a sign that LCI is moving away (permanently) from international news? I wonder if this was worked out before/after the dissolution of the Assemblee Nationale and the perspective of a far-right government (which would likely warrant more coverage of domestic politics on LCI than otherwise).

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • London Lite

All of the news channels in France will really need to up their game with the prospect of having the assembly being run by a far-right party with a centrist President, so I think LCI have got in early with their hiring of David Doukhan.

LCI have excelled with their international news coverage in recent years, but the real news that could be a big change for the average French citizen means they need to go back to domestic news.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • benzj

Franceinfo: was set to simulcast France 2’s election nights on June 30th and July 7th.

But after pressure and negotiations from the trade unions and journalists, Franceinfo: will actually air its own coverage of the Assemblée Nationale election results.

x.com 

am french donkey, heehaw
[-] The following 2 users Like Morganeko's post:
  • London Lite, matthieu1221

Bénédicte Le Chatelier is leaving LCI today. She's worked for Groupe TF1 since 2004.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • matthieu1221

(26-06-2024, 02:56 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  What an interesting poach. David Doukhan, current head of the Politics team at Le Parisien/Aujourd'hui en France (and formerly of Europe 1 before the Bollorisation of that) is joining LCI from September and host and editor in chief of the Friday-Sunday 6pm/8pm slot. He's also going to be present in the Sunday midday politics show. He replaces Emmanuel Ostian (who may now possibly replace Darius Rochebin from 8pm/midnight?) on Fridays and Saturdays and Rochebin on Sundays (who is moving to replace Eric Brunet on the weekday 10pm/midnight slot).

Is the arrival of a political journalist a sign that LCI is moving away (permanently) from international news? I wonder if this was worked out before/after the dissolution of the Assemblee Nationale and the perspective of a far-right government (which would likely warrant more coverage of domestic politics on LCI than otherwise).

x.com 

Turns out Emmanuel Ostian is leaving LCI. Ozap reports that he wants to focus on other projects.

(26-06-2024, 09:22 PM)London Lite Wrote:  All of the news channels in France will really need to up their game with the prospect of having the assembly being run by a far-right party with a centrist President, so I think LCI have got in early with their hiring of David Doukhan.

LCI have excelled with their international news coverage in recent years, but the real news that could be a big change for the average French citizen means they need to go back to domestic news.

Speaking of which, if it does happen, we'll also be talking about their plans to privatise France TV and Radio France. France 24, ARTE and the outre-mer channels would be exceptions. It's under the pretext of cost-savings but they frequently complain that certain channels/programs 'lean to the left (or even to the far-left)'.

Even short of that, funding is something that will come up. The license fee was scrapped in 2022 and since then the temporary fix has been funding allocated from VAT but that's due to lapse at the end of the next year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes matthieu1221's post:
  • London Lite

Noticed some pre-recorded looping creeping into Franceinfo's daytime output despite the normal schedule going out during 11/13 info and Au cœur de l'info.

It's amazing that Franceinfo's own journalists had to fight to produce their own election coverage which during the European election recently gave an alternative outlook using journalists and experts rather than getting the politicians in like France 2 did.

In any case, the new government might turn it into CNEWS 2 at this rate!

Franceinfo went into pre-rec mode at 1830 CET looping the 1800 segment of Le Monde de Loison, then simulcast the France 2 election debate and then reverted back to a pre-rec loop of out of vision news reports.

I should have realised when Florence Style left at 1800 that they were going on industrial action again, which may explain why there were elements of the daytime schedule that were pre-recorded.