Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

(18-05-2024, 10:56 AM)LDN Wrote:  Much like in Studio B, and in the newsroom, and on the Balcony of BBC Verification, the Studio E touchscreen only ever seems to be touched as a means to move to the next slide in a predefined sequence (as opposed to, say, the election touchscreen graphics, where there is a working interface that the presenter can navigate through to interrogate and compare various data sets on demand).
Definitely agree that having a touchscreen for a simple slideshow is pointless, but don't think the election touchscreen graphics are really an interface either. There's clearly some interactive functionality, but it appears that there is ultimately a predefined range of options chosen before each segment - e.g., the menu buttons don't take the presenter to a true menu, but usually a list of eight or so constituencies/councils that are relevant to that segment. The impression I get is that they don't really have the ability to bring up any possible data on demand. It's not quite a slideshow, but certainly not not one either.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, LDN, Stuart, UTVLifer

(18-05-2024, 09:23 AM)LDN Wrote:  I had no idea Changing Rooms was involved in BBC News set design.

But now that I think about it, this has got Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen's fingerprints all over it.

Linda Barker actually "I think it works really really well" 😆
[-] The following 4 users Like cando's post:
  • bkman1990, chris, LDN, Spencer

(18-05-2024, 08:13 AM)ginnyfan Wrote:  www.youtube.com 
The three most important global stories according to the BBC: Ukraine, CNN obtains video of rapper in apparent domestic violence incident, golfer arrested in an alleged scuffle with police. The last two would have been only "news in brief" when the BBC used to put news first.
Seems like you won't miss much if you stop watching BBC News. Watch other channels like AJE or France 24 and you'll be aware of the state of emergency in the French territory of New Caledonia where foreign nationals are trapped in their homes and are running out of food.
[-] The following 4 users Like Independent's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart

I've said it before - if there was a benefit to true touchscreen interactivity Weather would be all over it. Dragging and zooming the map around for example.

The touchscreen stuff Sky Sports do on Monday Night Football always looks like a gimmick to me.
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, Stuart

Having London presenters travelling up and down the country to do the One from Salford makes no senses.

Couldn’t the launch of the Salford One and the recruitment of a Salford One presenter been at the same time, or is that too simple for today’s BBC News
[-] The following 6 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, interestednovice, MLehon, Stuart

(18-05-2024, 12:51 PM)MLehon Wrote:  That might have been so relating to those more permanent Presenters based in Salford and we just don't know the ins and outs of personal packages offered to the likes of Charlie, Jon and Naga. What I am calling out on a cost basis is the travelling to Salford from London by Presenters for only one or two days i.e. likes of Ben Thompson for one morning only which was the case last Saturday and now for the One is the likes of Tina Dahealy for what she has indicated will be two days in Salford for a couple of months. Can these people not work like everyone else five days a week! Also travelling time to Salford is non productive time sitting on a train and is at licence payer expense. The majority of the public I'm sure would love to be paid for sitting on a train as part of their weekly hours at work. I am sorry but I resent paying my TV Licence to be swallowed up on train fares, hotel costs and also non productive travelling time when a better use of Salford based Presenters could be made in the short term albeit they may not be a part of what was the regular One team (as was Tina Dahealy until now). Surely Roger Johnson is more than capable of stepping in temporarily to present a National Bulletin and then backfill his duties on North West Tonight. Yes it can be argued budget lines but that's what accountants do, change budgets. Also as a side Tina has her own job on Radio 2 so her missing for 2/3 mornings will no doubt be another cost somewhere. The BBC need to be more accountable to the Licence payer and this "not a known face" to BBC1 just does not wash any longer given the current funding issues. We have seen many different unfamiliar faces on general News Channel and even on BBC1 at weekends. Apart from the likes of those who contribute to this Forum how many viewers would actually care or complain about Roger Johnson presenting the One if they thought they could have their BBC Local Radio afternoon programme reinstated.

Jon and Naga weren’t part of the original relocation to Salford, if I recall correctly.

In the grand scheme of things, paying for a corporate rate train ticket to Manchester is far cheaper than the costs of full relocation. It also helps to have familiar faces in times of change, which help maintain trust in the brand. I won’t be surprised if we see Roger Johnson filling in sooner rather than later, though!

The trip isn’t all non productive time, either - they are still journalists and can work on the train. It’s only Salford, too - Tina can still do the Radio 2 bulletins from there, it’s not like there’s a disconnect from the rest of the world!
[-] The following 7 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • Alf Stewart, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Rhys j, Stuart, UTVLifer

(18-05-2024, 09:09 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  Jon and Naga weren’t part of the original relocation to Salford, if I recall correctly.

In the grand scheme of things, paying for a corporate rate train ticket to Manchester is far cheaper than the costs of full relocation. It also helps to have familiar faces in times of change, which help maintain trust in the brand. I won’t be surprised if we see Roger Johnson filling in sooner rather than later, though!

The trip isn’t all non productive time, either - they are still journalists and can work on the train. It’s only Salford, too - Tina can still do the Radio 2 bulletins from there, it’s not like there’s a disconnect from the rest of the world!

This is all fine stating these things but nowhere has it been stated that Tina will also present her Radio 2 bulletins from Salford, this would just be too sensible for the BBC. Trust in the brand is already gone by so many different faces across bulletins particularly lunchtime weekend BBC1 bulletins. Weekday Lunchtime is not peak time and Tina has been a very rare presenter of this bulletin more often she has covered for Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 if I recall right. It's also not just the time spent on the train but there will be BBC time which we are all paying for wasted standing in train stations due to delays, commuting from Central Manchester out to Salford Quays, then hotel costs and meal subsistence! What company other that the BBC would decide to provide a service from another location without having the proper staffing in place. There seems to be no accountability for expenditure or controls and if money runs out then it's just another cut to the public and perhaps it's time MPs start asking more questions generally of the BBC around Salford travel costs specifically.

The presenter is a small element of the cost of a programme
[-] The following 4 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, chris, chrisherald, House

(18-05-2024, 10:26 PM)MLehon Wrote:  This is all fine stating these things but nowhere has it been stated that Tina will also present her Radio 2 bulletins from Salford, this would just be too sensible for the BBC. Trust in the brand is already gone by so many different faces across bulletins particularly lunchtime weekend BBC1 bulletins. Weekday Lunchtime is not peak time and Tina has been a very rare presenter of this bulletin more often she has covered for Jeremy Vine on Radio 2 if I recall right. It's also not just the time spent on the train but there will be BBC time which we are all paying for wasted standing in train stations due to delays, commuting from Central Manchester out to Salford Quays, then hotel costs and meal subsistence! What company other that the BBC would decide to provide a service from another location without having the proper staffing in place. There seems to be no accountability for expenditure or controls and if money runs out then it's just another cut to the public and perhaps it's time MPs start asking more questions generally of the BBC around Salford travel costs specifically.

I'm not actually sure of your point here.

Just because it hasn't been stated that Tina will do Radio 2 bulletins from Salford, doesn't mean it's an impossibility. Equally, there are plenty of other newsreaders available for Radio 2 - so I'm not sure why it's the end of the world.

Equally, the presenter is just a small part of program costs as stated previously. The BBC does have the proper staffing in place; Breakfast has come from Salford for years, and the vast majority of crew (other than the presenter) are employed locally with a lower salary than London based staff. As a business, paying for a corporate rate train ticket would be a far more appealing to me!

As with the Breakfast move, there will of course be a few months of to and fro with travel for presenters. But you'll find the core team will move up North and everyone will be happy!
[-] The following 2 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

(17-05-2024, 06:09 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  N&R extended to 10 mins duration.

One presenters are Ben Brown, Jane Hill, Anna Foster and Tina Daheley.
Forgive me if this has been asked already, but… How do you know that the One presenters will be those 4 individuals? I’m not aware of any announcement regarding the presenter lineup for the One. If you work for BBC News and know different, then so be it.

In that respect, your comment that N&R is “extended to 10 mins duration” is not anything new. It merely restates what @ScottishTVGuy says but in a different way.

This isn’t a pile on. It's a genuine question about bona fides and if you have inside knowledge.
Thread Closed