Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

(17-05-2024, 06:09 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  N&R extended to 10 mins duration.

One presenters are Ben Brown, Jane Hill, Anna Foster and Tina Daheley.

Very pleased to see Anna Foster on the list - and of course her base has always been Salford (before she was based in Middle East!) from her work on Five Live.

(17-05-2024, 06:09 PM)JexedBack Wrote:  N&R extended to 10 mins duration.

One presenters are Ben Brown, Jane Hill, Anna Foster and Tina Daheley.

So now we have presumably at least three travelling News at One Presenters to Salford (Ben, Jane and Tina) plus the Breakfast Presenter travellers across the week and in recent times at least one morning per week a Weather Presenter. Really think it's now time there are questions asked about so much of the Licence fee being spent on travel to Salford. It would be different if there weren't such drastic cuts across the BBC and no before someone suggests it this can't be explained as a line on a spreadsheet.

(17-05-2024, 07:17 PM)what Wrote:  Wonder how on earth they've managed to seemingly damage these metal grilles in the Breakfast/Sportsday studio? I know it seems trivial and the space gets heavily used, but you'd expect them to try and fix any damage that's visible on camera.

up.metropol247.co.uk 

The same fault developed on the BBC Newsline set a few months ago (I think the glue on the wooden batons failed). I'm not surprised that it's started to go on other sets. The grille is simply wood that's been painted silver, as you can see if you zoom into the pic here.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like denton's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

Anna Foster is on air this morning.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, Rolling News, Toby brown

(18-05-2024, 01:20 AM)denton Wrote:  The same fault developed on the BBC Newsline set a few months ago (I think the glue on the wooden batons failed). I'm not surprised that it's started to go on other sets. The grille is simply wood that's been painted silver, as you can see if you zoom into the pic here.

twitter.com 

It's a wood based product, but not wood - it's MDF, with strips of aluminium glued on top, but also spray painted silver. They'd have been better off screwing it on IMO.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mike's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald

(18-05-2024, 12:33 AM)MLehon Wrote:  So now we have presumably at least three travelling News at One Presenters to Salford (Ben, Jane and Tina) plus the Breakfast Presenter travellers across the week and in recent times at least one morning per week a Weather Presenter. Really think it's now time there are questions asked about so much of the Licence fee being spent on travel to Salford. It would be different if there weren't such drastic cuts across the BBC and no before someone suggests it this can't be explained as a line on a spreadsheet.

They’ll either move or leave the One - the relocation money only goes on for so long.

Part of the reason Susanna left Breakfast iirc was because the relocation package was ending - the rest all moved up to Salford.

(18-05-2024, 08:39 AM)Mike Wrote:  It's a wood based product, but not wood - it's MDF, with strips of aluminium glued on top, but also spray painted silver. They'd have been better off screwing it on IMO.

I had no idea Changing Rooms was involved in BBC News set design.

But now that I think about it, this has got Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen's fingerprints all over it.
[-] The following 2 users Like LDN's post:
  • Charles, TJTSW

(18-05-2024, 09:23 AM)LDN Wrote:  I had no idea Changing Rooms was involved in BBC News set design.

But now that I think about it, this has got Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen's fingerprints all over it.

I hear for the One in Salford, they’re adding a set of hanging display shelves to the studio featuring priceless teapots.
[-] The following 10 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chris, damian, LDN, Mike, Stuart, thePineapple, TJTSW

(18-05-2024, 10:15 AM)Spencer Wrote:  I hear for the One in Salford, they’re adding a set of hanging display shelves to the studio featuring priceless teapots.

Perhaps they could add a similar feature to Studio E to replace the touchscreen, which always looks unusually small for the size of the studio (much like the new vertical display next to the desk). Every time I see the touchscreen in E, I can't help but be reminded of the TV they used to occasionally wheel into classrooms back in my primary school days.

Much like in Studio B, and in the newsroom, and on the Balcony of BBC Verification, the Studio E touchscreen only ever seems to be touched as a means to move to the next slide in a predefined sequence (as opposed to, say, the election touchscreen graphics, where there is a working interface that the presenter can navigate through to interrogate and compare various data sets on demand).

Using all this tech as nothing more than a next-slide clicker is nakedly pointless, and adds nothing to any bulletin that couldn't be achieved with a presenter standing at a regular non-touch screen.

Frankly, I say out with the touchscreen and in with the teapots. It would add a very desirable and much-needed element of jeopardy to BBC News bulletins; knowing that at some point, the entire shelving assembly will absolutely collapse with the destruction of nearly all teapots... but when?

This is exactly what's been missing from the BBC News channel since the merger.
[-] The following 6 users Like LDN's post:
  • bkman1990, chaose, chrisherald, Spencer, Stuart, W1ll

(18-05-2024, 09:18 AM)agentsquash Wrote:  They’ll either move or leave the One - the relocation money only goes on for so long.

Part of the reason Susanna left Breakfast iirc was because the relocation package was ending - the rest all moved up to Salford.

That might have been so relating to those more permanent Presenters based in Salford and we just don't know the ins and outs of personal packages offered to the likes of Charlie, Jon and Naga. What I am calling out on a cost basis is the travelling to Salford from London by Presenters for only one or two days i.e. likes of Ben Thompson for one morning only which was the case last Saturday and now for the One is the likes of Tina Dahealy for what she has indicated will be two days in Salford for a couple of months. Can these people not work like everyone else five days a week! Also travelling time to Salford is non productive time sitting on a train and is at licence payer expense. The majority of the public I'm sure would love to be paid for sitting on a train as part of their weekly hours at work. I am sorry but I resent paying my TV Licence to be swallowed up on train fares, hotel costs and also non productive travelling time when a better use of Salford based Presenters could be made in the short term albeit they may not be a part of what was the regular One team (as was Tina Dahealy until now). Surely Roger Johnson is more than capable of stepping in temporarily to present a National Bulletin and then backfill his duties on North West Tonight. Yes it can be argued budget lines but that's what accountants do, change budgets. Also as a side Tina has her own job on Radio 2 so her missing for 2/3 mornings will no doubt be another cost somewhere. The BBC need to be more accountable to the Licence payer and this "not a known face" to BBC1 just does not wash any longer given the current funding issues. We have seen many different unfamiliar faces on general News Channel and even on BBC1 at weekends. Apart from the likes of those who contribute to this Forum how many viewers would actually care or complain about Roger Johnson presenting the One if they thought they could have their BBC Local Radio afternoon programme reinstated.
Thread Closed