Pope Benedict Funeral UK Coverage

The funeral is on the BBC News channel now.

Edit: Seems that BBC World is showing the funeral in full, but the BBC News Channel is continuing with normal news and occasional updates from the funeral.

I suspect this difference might be down to a major speech by Starmer.

(05-01-2023, 11:06 AM)DTV Wrote:  I suspect this difference might be down to a major speech by Starmer.

I am surprised he didn’t move that till later today or tomorrow.

(05-01-2023, 11:19 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  
(05-01-2023, 11:06 AM)DTV Wrote:  I suspect this difference might be down to a major speech by Starmer.

Take a look at the latest census data - Christianity is declining rapidly in importance, at least in England and Wales. It's not that big a surprise.

And maybe look at tomorrow's release of data too, which might explain why this particular Pope Emeritus isn't exactly well-liked outside of the Catholic church.

(05-01-2023, 11:19 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  

We aren't a Catholic country. 8% of the population is Catholic, so it makes sense from that point of view. And without delving into politics, I think that people are probably more interested in what Labour has to say than mourning for the Pope Emeritus.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy

(05-01-2023, 10:02 AM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Disgusting from the UK broadcasters. No full coverage of the Popes funeral. Yes there is other news but all I wanted is to watch coverage of our former Pope's funeral.
Ths is is the digital age, there aren't just 4 channels, if you wanted to watch it it was available to you. 

It didn't merit blanket coverage, he was an ex-Pope who quit after a few years and made no impact, and this is a country with a small Catholic population.

(05-01-2023, 10:02 AM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Disgusting from the UK broadcasters. No full coverage of the Popes funeral. Yes there is other news but all I wanted is to watch coverage of our former Pope's funeral.

"Our former Pope"?

Anyway I don't know what you were looking at but I've rewound the Sky News Live stream on YouTube and there it was (the live coverage), and its available on YouTube channels to watch as you see fit as of now.

If you weren't able to find that or a live stream from somebody else on YouTube then that's your problem. It is ironic though that you found Pres Cafe to complain when a similar number of clicks would have took you to Youtube where the algorithm would have probably waved it in your face on the front screen.

Sky's coverage with Alastair Bruce commentating was absolutely fantastic as usual, they are very lucky to have him.
[-] The following 3 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Gibsy

Sorry, ''our''?
This is the UK, of course the whole of the Pope's funeral wouldn't be heavily prioritised (in the eyes of some broadcasters here)
The whole thing was livestreamed on YouTube, so no need to waste your time complaining here.

(05-01-2023, 06:43 PM)TheFullElectro Wrote:  
Sorry, ''our''?
This is the UK, of course the whole of the Pope's funeral wouldn't be heavily prioritised (in the eyes of some broadcasters here)
The whole thing was livestreamed on YouTube, so no need to waste your time complaining here.

I think to not even have it on BBC 2 when it was being provided to the media for free with no restrictions (which is rare) is a bit of a mistake. They were showing 'Snow Dogs' instead apparently. Critical watching.

Seems it could have been an easy way to fill 2 hours and also provide something for those who may have wanted to watch it.