(16-01-2023, 11:29 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(16-01-2023, 11:06 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  ITVX has been struggling under the pressure from Love Island’s return tonight on ITV2, quite a few glitchy moments

That's been happening on ITV2 itself rather than ITVX (unless it's an additional issue).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pPpaMaFueq8

Also occurred on VM2 in Ireland.

Definitely a problem with the programme then, and not the streaming platform.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • colinrobinson

Has anyone been able to get any version of the ITVX app to zoom into 4:3 video properly? The old Britbox app used to have a feature that if a video was playing in 16:9 on a 4:3 screen (such as an Apple iPad) it could be cropped to fill the whole screen. It seems that on ITVX I can't get any video to zoom, which is a massive pain especially when watching old videos as there's a permanent thick border around. Can't find any way to do it on the web version either.

(19-01-2023, 08:40 PM)western Wrote:  Has anyone been able to get any version of the ITVX app to zoom into 4:3 video properly? The old Britbox app used to have a feature that if a video was playing in 16:9 on a 4:3 screen (such as an Apple iPad) it could be cropped to fill the whole screen. It seems that on ITVX I can't get any video to zoom, which is a massive pain especially when watching old videos as there's a permanent thick border around. Can't find any way to do it on the web version either.

The correct way to see 4:3 video in a 16:9 environment (TV or otherwise) is with black bars.

Any other way to view archive material is wrong. You shouldn't be "zooming" into anything 4:3 if you can help it, because it looks horrible.
[-] The following 5 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • bilky asko, Brekkie, IanJRedman, James2001, London Lite

(19-01-2023, 09:52 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(19-01-2023, 08:40 PM)western Wrote:  Has anyone been able to get any version of the ITVX app to zoom into 4:3 video properly? The old Britbox app used to have a feature that if a video was playing in 16:9 on a 4:3 screen (such as an Apple iPad) it could be cropped to fill the whole screen. It seems that on ITVX I can't get any video to zoom, which is a massive pain especially when watching old videos as there's a permanent thick border around. Can't find any way to do it on the web version either.

The correct way to see 4:3 video in a 16:9 environment (TV or otherwise) is with black bars.

Any other way to view archive material is wrong.  You shouldn't be "zooming" into anything 4:3 if you can help it, because it looks horrible.

Which is all very nice, but unrelated to western's question - as western says, the current ITVX app places 4:3 video in a 16:9 frame. When you then view on a 4:3 screen, there are black bars on all four sides rather than the 4:3 picture filling the 4:3 screen. 

Alike with western, I can't see an option to display 4:3 in native 4:3 (nor to zoom into the picture to exclude the back bars on all four sides and get the same effect).
[-] The following 2 users Like sjhoward's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, western

It's not "unrelated".  It is very relevant.  The user base of 4:3 is pretty much non-existent these days which is why apps like ITVX behave the way they do.

If you're seriously watching on a 4:3 TV then its probably not Smart, so your platform of App choice may have an option for TV Type to force a 4:3.  If it doesn't (the Firestick definitely doesn't) then you may be stuck.

That being said, there is a Reddit post that claims you can alter the picture output (on the Firestick) via ADB.  One Google later and thus:
www.reddit.com 

Does anyone else have any issues fast forwarding & rewinding ITVX programmes? Recently updated my 2013 Samsung "Smart" TV with a Firestick after ITV Hub closed down and was noticing the rotating circle/buffering symbol would come on after rw/FF - the screen goes blank, and then the video picture would come on back in the original position. Rarely, it works OK. Or, an error message saying there's something wrong with the internet connection. Every other terrestrial free streaming app works fine when skipping forwards or back, no delay. Also noticed, all the appsworked a lot better when I disconnected the Wireless connection to my TV and just relied on the wireless connection to the Firestick. Also, from reading different websites, after noticing judder on ITVX & All4, have changed the resolution to 1080p 50Hz rather than automatic as that's what they output in, and the judder goes!! Notice that ITVX does have a bit of a filmic look about it though in all shows, even the soaps, which BBC iPlayer doesn't seem to. Whether this can be improved without changing TV motion settings which I haven't changed from before.

Also, in response to prev message, still have a 4:3 TV from 1991 still in use which works perfectly! Although, it's not at all smart, it does a cracking job with a Freeview box connected with Scarts and a VHS!

(20-01-2023, 07:50 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The user base of 4:3 is pretty much non-existent these days which is why apps like ITVX behave the way they do.

I’m terribly sorry, and don’t want to appear argumentative, but I think you are missing the point.

As western says, most iPad screens have a 4:3 aspect ratio. That’s why apps designed for iPad typically have an option to display 4:3 content correctly on the 4:3 screen. As western says, the Britbox app does; the ITVX app doesn’t.

When writing software for devices with 4:3 screens, forcing them to display 4:3 content by placing it in a 16:9 frame and then letterboxing that frame is neither logical nor desirable.

I completely agree that the use of a 4:3 screen with a smart TV app is as rare as hens’ teeth, which is why the Firestick etc don’t support it. But the proportion of iPad app users watching on a 4:3 screen is probably a healthy majority—and forcing them to watch all ITVX 4:3 content in a black-bordered box in the middle of the 4:3 screen is a bit nuts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sjhoward's post:
  • western

Has there actually been any new FAST channels this year? Didn’t the original ITVX press release say there’d be a new one every week?

(21-01-2023, 02:12 AM)Ash101 Wrote:  Has there actually been any new FAST channels this year? Didn’t the original ITVX press release say there’d be a new one every week?
There’s now stand up comedy, classic comedy, Midsomer Murders and TOWIE channels which I don’t remember seeing until recently.