(02-03-2023, 12:25 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 12:12 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I assume that this is still being simulcast on CNNi? The Maher interviews, sure why not. But this- really no use for the international audience.

Of course, everything from 4 pm till midnight (all times Eastern), except for a half-an-hour exemption at 5:30pm for World Sport, is being simulcast on CNNI.
Moreover, when there is a breaking news story and CNN Tonight decides to overrun into the 12am or even 1am hour (this happened a couple of times recently, usually with John Berman taking the reins), CNNI ditches its Newsroom and simulcasts CNN/US.

Not always a simulcast of CNN/US in those situations. Sometimes the other way around.

(02-03-2023, 12:41 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 12:25 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Of course, everything from 4 pm till midnight (all times Eastern), except for a half-an-hour exemption at 5:30pm for World Sport, is being simulcast on CNNI.
Moreover, when there is a breaking news story and CNN Tonight decides to overrun into the 12am or even 1am hour (this happened a couple of times recently, usually with John Berman taking the reins), CNNI ditches its Newsroom and simulcasts CNN/US.

Not always a simulcast of CNN/US in those situations.  Sometimes the other way around.

I can't remember CNN/US recently ditching its scheduled live broadcast in favour of CNNI simulcast. When it decides to simulcast it is almost always instead of a repeat/pre-recorded thing.

(02-03-2023, 12:51 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 12:41 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  Not always a simulcast of CNN/US in those situations.  Sometimes the other way around.

I can't remember CNN/US recently ditching its scheduled live broadcast in favour of CNNI simulcast. When it decides to simulcast it is almost always instead of a repeat/pre-recorded thing.

I believe some of the recent special coverages anchored by John Berman are actually handled by CNN International, because they used the CNN Newsroom splitscreen.

But for some reason, the broadcast seems to be coming from CNN US, which is why they use the white CNN on-screen graphic.

As ever, the folks are Newscastsudio have their own take on what might be happening with studios at CNN when considering the imminent launch of CNN News Central. Makes for an interesting read for us CNN fans out there.

www.newscaststudio.com 

(02-03-2023, 03:30 PM)bakamann Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 12:51 PM)oscillon Wrote:  I can't remember CNN/US recently ditching its scheduled live broadcast in favour of CNNI simulcast. When it decides to simulcast it is almost always instead of a repeat/pre-recorded thing.

I believe some of the recent special coverages anchored by John Berman are actually handled by CNN International, because they used the CNN Newsroom splitscreen.

But for some reason, the broadcast seems to be coming from CNN US, which is why they use the white CNN on-screen graphic.

What makes you think that the splitscreen was that of CNNI Newsroom?
This looks to me pretty much like the usual CNN Tonight splitscreen.
[Image: image.png]
Indeed, this is a split screen from a regular CNN Tonight.
[Image: image.png]
Is it possible slightly different proportions of screens (almost uncatchable to my eye) that caught your attention?

(02-03-2023, 12:12 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 04:12 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Ah, so it was Newsroom with Victor Blackwell and Bianna Golodryga that did it, got it. Well, may be the distance between editorial offices in NY and DC plays a role as well. Sometimes they do get the substitute name correctly, so it is not the case that permanent anchor's name is always embedded in the program's name.

Presentation-wise, there was a bespoke title at the beginning, again, as well an additional colored ticker with the theme of the show in place of a usual rolling news ticker (US) / transparency (Intl).
[Image: 2023-03-02-05-02-14.png]

Studio-wise, it was again 19Y, former New Day and current At This Hour studio that had been used exactly a week ago for the Ohio train derailment town hall. Now it was designed in the colors of a court building (apart from the physical bricks).

Apart from the pundits discussing the case as mock attorneys and the jury, the show sometimes featured correspondents and even a medical expert.

I assume that this is still being simulcast on CNNi? The Maher interviews, sure why not. But this- really no use for the international audience.
Not a big change then, a lot of CNN Primetime (the block not just the program) doesn't seem to have anything really suited to an international audience, versus when they had a robust Asia mornings line up. I'm sure many of the audience would now be used to going to AJE or BBC World if they wanted something more robust in those hours.

(02-03-2023, 03:30 PM)bakamann Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 12:51 PM)oscillon Wrote:  I can't remember CNN/US recently ditching its scheduled live broadcast in favour of CNNI simulcast. When it decides to simulcast it is almost always instead of a repeat/pre-recorded thing.

Yup. Sometimes it's handled by CNN International. Not all the time though, but it does happen sometimes. If it's during the CNNI overnight team's hours, there's a decent chance that they'll be doing it. Makes more sense than CNN/US teams staying late.

And oscillon -- CNN/US has also ditched Early Start a few times recently in favor of another hour of Max and Bianca's Newsroom. This happened for Biden's surprise visit to Kyiv and also when the Meghan/Harry Netflix doc was released.

I think it would be rare to happen outside of the CNNI overnight team's hours, but during those hours it's not that unusual.
[-] The following 1 user Likes inletwindow's post:
  • oscillon

(02-03-2023, 08:38 PM)sky303 Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 12:12 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I assume that this is still being simulcast on CNNi? The Maher interviews, sure why not. But this- really no use for the international audience.
Not a big change then, a lot of CNN Primetime (the block not just the program) doesn't seem to have anything really suited to an international audience, versus when they had a robust Asia mornings line up. I'm sure many of the audience would now be used to going to AJE or BBC World if they wanted something more robust in those hours.

I gave up on CNN for morning telly shortly after YWT was launched. I don't recall watching that much of it since it never aired that much anyway! Switched to local TV as that was when the protests were happening in HK. Wasn't in English but better to have some vague understanding of the news rather than Erin Burnett or Wolf Blitzer with an umpteenth Trump controversy.

I have no problem with the Trump coverage- just that I would really have preferred if CNN offered CNN Domestic overseas too so CNNi can continue simulcast-free. Alas, that's clearly not happening in today's world.

AJE and BBC World are fine- though I dislike how the their news bulletins at that time are usually only half an hour. The full hour (or 45 minutes when World Sport aired too) of CNN Today was what made it a better choice for me. I never really got over them axing CNN Today to be honest. Was an unnecessary change. YWT should've been the European Midday news program replacing New Day imo.

(02-03-2023, 08:48 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  And oscillon -- CNN/US has also ditched Early Start a few times recently in favor of another hour of Max and Bianca's Newsroom. This happened for Biden's surprise visit to Kyiv and also when the Meghan/Harry Netflix doc was released.
Oh, of course it was, you're 100% right! Didn't think of Early Start as my mind was focusing more on the US evening slot...
One other occasion when Early Start was thrown under the bus was Pope Emeritus's funeral, when Max and Bianca took the first half of the hour, and CNN This Morning picked it up half-an-hour earlier than usual, after the funeral finished.

===============================================================================

On a separate note, there is another addition to this week's CNN Primetime lineup - on Friday Erin Burnett will anchor 9pm hour show about Navalny.
cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • Newsroom

(02-03-2023, 10:05 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 08:48 PM)inletwindow Wrote:  And oscillon -- CNN/US has also ditched Early Start a few times recently in favor of another hour of Max and Bianca's Newsroom.  This happened for Biden's surprise visit to Kyiv and also when the Meghan/Harry Netflix doc was released. 
Oh, of course it was, you're 100% right! Didn't think of Early Start as my mind was focusing more on the US evening slot...
One other occasion when Early Start was thrown under the bus was Pope Emeritus's funeral, when Max and Bianca took the first half of the hour, and  CNN This Morning picked it up half-an-hour earlier than usual, after the funeral finished.

===============================================================================

On a separate note, there is another addition to this week's CNN Primetime lineup - on Friday at 9pm Erin Burnett will anchor 9pm hour show about Navalny.
cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com 
You're definitely AI @ocillion - I mean / what else could you be? It's almost unreal. ;-)