Sky News

EPG has both Red Carpet and the Awards Show on Sky News.

Would be interesting to see if the YouTube stream stays on during the show! (Probably not)

(04-03-2023, 02:48 AM)telleyhead Wrote:  
(28-02-2023, 07:20 PM)London Lite Wrote:  Controversially I'd like them to move the studio output all to Millbank, while closing the vanity project studio at Sky Central.

Not sure about Sky News, but I've heard changes to Sky Sports News are coming up so anything is possible.
They have the far nicer studio as it is.

Considering it's all over the breakfast shows the next morning I don't think it has much value being held back exclusively, so a few thousand watching overnight on Sky News isn't going to make much difference.

(07-03-2023, 08:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 02:48 AM)telleyhead Wrote:  Not sure about Sky News, but I've heard changes to Sky Sports News are coming up so anything is possible.
They have the far nicer studio as it is.

Considering it's all over the breakfast shows the next morning I don't think it has much value being held back exclusively, so a few thousand watching overnight on Sky News isn't going to make much difference.
I believe it's always been Sky's way to invest in Sports and give News the cast-offs. Apparently the 2005 centre was originally planned for Sky Sports, until some News Corp execs visited Osterley and were appalled by the state of what were then Sky News' digs.

(07-03-2023, 09:18 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I believe it's always been Sky's way to invest in Sports and give News the cast-offs. Apparently the 2005 centre was originally planned for Sky Sports, until some News Corp execs visited Osterley and were appalled by the state of what were then Sky News' digs.
I thought it was generally the opposite. SSN often ended up in whatever studio facility was previously used by Sky News.

(08-03-2023, 12:30 AM)Stuart Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 09:18 PM)Kojak Wrote:  I believe it's always been Sky's way to invest in Sports and give News the cast-offs. Apparently the 2005 centre was originally planned for Sky Sports, until some News Corp execs visited Osterley and were appalled by the state of what were then Sky News' digs.
I thought it was generally the opposite. SSN often ended up in whatever studio facility was previously used by Sky News.

You saying that reminded that that there was talk around the time of the 2005 move that SSN were to move in to Sky News' old building. I don't know if that happened, but there is a really interesting post on the old forum that talked about what I outlined:

globaltraffic24 Wrote:A few posters have compared Sky Sports with Sky News. I worked at Sky during the previous move and can confirm that the soon-to-be-demolished Sky News building was originally commissioned for Sky Sports. The only reason Sky News took ownership of it was because of an infamous site tour by some senior execs from the US. Upon seeing how appalling conditions were at the old Sky News studio, a top-level decision was made to give the new facilities to Sky News. It gives you some sense of where we are right now. Much of the investment and big thinking comes from those people not on the ground at Sky. The middle management based in Isleworth then tends to over-ride it and play safe by investing in the divisions that return big bucks - like Sky Sports.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • TVFan

SSN is in the Sky Studios building, the box is in Central. Tweaks coming for SSN.

(08-03-2023, 12:53 AM)Kojak Wrote:  
(08-03-2023, 12:30 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I thought it was generally the opposite. SSN often ended up in whatever studio facility was previously used by Sky News.

You saying that reminded that that there was talk around the time of the 2005 move that SSN were to move in to Sky News' old building. I don't know if that happened, but there is a really interesting post on the old forum that talked about what I outlined:

globaltraffic24 Wrote:A few posters have compared Sky Sports with Sky News. I worked at Sky during the previous move and can confirm that the soon-to-be-demolished Sky News building was originally commissioned for Sky Sports. The only reason Sky News took ownership of it was because of an infamous site tour by some senior execs from the US. Upon seeing how appalling conditions were at the old Sky News studio, a top-level decision was made to give the new facilities to Sky News. It gives you some sense of where we are right now. Much of the investment and big thinking comes from those people not on the ground at Sky. The middle management based in Isleworth then tends to over-ride it and play safe by investing in the divisions that return big bucks - like Sky Sports.

It was weird seeing an old post of mine referenced from so long ago! This was indeed the case. Sky News and Sky Sports were both housed in completely unsuitable buildings. The silver building (home to the large turning set and flashy era of graphics) was constructed for Sky Sports but around a year or two before the building was complete it was suddenly decided to use it for Sky News. Partly due to size issues (Sports had a huge team) and partly because the Sky News studio was such a terribly built facility that you actually could bounce on the floors! 

Obviously the situation is very different now that the Sky Campus has been largely rebuilt.

I stand by that original post though. I don’t believe the glass box will survive for much longer as it adds zero value. The NBC News International small set in the Sky newsroom was mothballed at an early stage. I still think we’ll see something happen there with the new SN boss but we’ll see!
[-] The following 2 users Like Globaltraffic24's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak

I kinda wish that they could revive the international news channel at some capacity, maybe both Sky News and NBC News sharing the resources for NBC News Now.
[-] The following 2 users Like bakamann's post:
  • bkman1990, matthieu1221

(08-03-2023, 11:05 AM)bakamann Wrote:  I kinda wish that they could revive the international news channel at some capacity, maybe both Sky News and NBC News sharing the resources for NBC News Now.

In theory they could do a cheap FAST channel pulling international coverage from both news orgs and put them on one service. (Sky would naturally do the heavy lifting). It would sorta be a like a Euronews-style channel, meaning no presenter.
[-] The following 2 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • bakamann, bkman1990