The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(06-03-2023, 02:44 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I don't usually watch the sport news on the News Channel but this caught my eye. Which Studio is this in Salford? Sport usually comes from the make shift space while the ground floor is developed?
That's the same VR set they were using for the week between leaving their old set and moving to their current (temporary set-up). I believe that I was supposed to be in the area of the old secondary sport set (i.e., the one that was used for Sport Today if it clashed with UK sport and which sometimes appeared on some network BBC Sport programmes).
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, Newsroom

(04-03-2023, 09:25 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 09:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The Daily Mail complaining about the BBC not sending enough people to cover a World Cup?

I think it is probably actually a mistake to put all matches of the Womens World Cup and Euros on the Crown Jewels list.   Home nations games and semi finals/final for sure should be on there along with a number of key games but in this case I think having to cover the whole thing might be somewhat offputting to the BBC and ITV given the resources required.   Whilst no doubt the interest has signficantly increased I think it's not really a case that group games not featuring the home nations or biggest teams are really of signficant importance.

And of course in the wider discussion about what should and shouldn't be on that list it's a joke that Six Nations and Rugby World Cup means games featuring the home nations are not on that list (only the RWC Final is protected), and of course even though on paper the Olympics is as we've seen with the Discovery deal live coverage of Britons in medal events are no longer guaranteed to be free to air.
Would be good if the crown jewel list was reviewed in the near future - I suspect it is a distinct possibility post-election. In particular, I'd like to see the Cricket World Cup final and the final F1 race of the year on the list. I don't know about the women's World Cup/Euros, though - I don't think moving their group matches to pay TV would go down at all well, particularly when the men's cups are all protected for free TV. I suppose it is a moveable feast, though - sporting events come on and off free TV all the time.
According to the article in the link below, the women's World Cup has now been upgraded to the Crown Jewels list ("Category A", as in live coverage on a free-to-air channel(s).

FIFA set to end uncertainty over Women's World Cup TV coverage weeks before tournament - John Cross - Mirror Online
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Kojak

This is behind a paywall but it seems like the BBC is ending Today At Wimbledon as we know it. Not a surprising given the amount of overunning matches these days.

www.thetimes.co.uk 

(06-03-2023, 02:51 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(06-03-2023, 02:44 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  I don't usually watch the sport news on the News Channel but this caught my eye. Which Studio is this in Salford? Sport usually comes from the make shift space while the ground floor is developed?
That's the same VR set they were using for the week between leaving their old set and moving to their current (temporary set-up). I believe that I was supposed to be in the area of the old secondary sport set (i.e., the one that was used for Sport Today if it clashed with UK sport and which sometimes appeared on some network BBC Sport programmes).
Hm, so they left their temporary set-up for a VR set for some reason, while their main studio is not yet ready? Can this indicate that they will move into their new permanent set within a couple of weeks?
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • Newsroom, thePineapple

(07-03-2023, 10:44 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  This is behind a paywall but it seems like the BBC is ending Today At Wimbledon as we know it. Not a surprising given the amount of overunning matches these days.

www.thetimes.co.uk 

I do think it's the right call given Today at Wimbledon only made it on air in its entirely for a handful of the days during Wimbledon last year

And presumably, although we've not heard anything official yet, it'll most likely be Clare and Isa Guha presenting this year now that Sue has retired

(07-03-2023, 10:53 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Hm, so they left their temporary set-up for a VR set for some reason, while their main studio is not yet ready? Can this indicate that they will move into their new permanent set within a couple of weeks?
Possibly, though it could be that the temporary studio needs a bit of repair work or that they were forced out of the temporary set-up for other reasons. If the new set is launching soon, it could also be the case that they are readying the former Sport temporary set-up for NWT ahead of a regional studio refurb (regions north of the Watford Gap are clearly going first). All speculation, of course.
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon, thePineapple

(07-03-2023, 11:05 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  
(07-03-2023, 10:44 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  This is behind a paywall but it seems like the BBC is ending Today At Wimbledon as we know it. Not a surprising given the amount of overunning matches these days.

www.thetimes.co.uk 

I do think it's the right call given Today at Wimbledon only made it on air in its entirely for a handful of the days during Wimbledon last year

And presumably, although we've not heard anything official yet, it'll most likely be Clare and Isa Guha presenting this year now that Sue has retired
This has been denied by the BBC.

Confirmation that Clare Balding will take over from Sue Barker, heading up Wimbledon coverage from this year

twitter.com 

(09-03-2023, 02:03 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Confirmation that Clare Balding will take over from Sue Barker, heading up Wimbledon coverage from this year

twitter.com 

Also confirmed by the BBC, also Isa Guha will be part of the presentation team again this year
Clare Balding confirmed as lead presenter of BBC Wimbledon coverage from 2023 - Media Centre
[-] The following 3 users Like NI92's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR, UTVLifer

(09-03-2023, 02:30 PM)NI92 Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 02:03 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Confirmation that Clare Balding will take over from Sue Barker, heading up Wimbledon coverage from this year

twitter.com 

Also confirmed by the BBC, also Isa Guha will be part of the presentation team again this year
Clare Balding confirmed as lead presenter of BBC Wimbledon coverage from 2023 - Media Centre

Isa Guha's involvement will have implications regarding BBC's TV and radio coverage of the Ashes series in the summer; she will definitely miss the Third Test (starting 6th July) and may miss the Second Test a week earlier.  Similarly, Alison Mitchell will also miss the Third Test if she is required for Wimbledon commentary duties.  With the greatest respect, I wouldn't have Aatif Nawaz commentating on the Ashes series, either on Test Match Special on the radio or the BBC2 highlights (which will probably be aired initially on BBC4 during Wimbledon), but the person I would like to see the BBC recruit for their Ashes coverage, even if it's for 2 tests to cover various absences, is a 4-time Ashes winner and an Ashes-winning captain to boot and being a former Ashes-winning captain, it gives the BBC coverage credence and gravitas it deserves for a series of its magnitude and it will earn the BBC some brownie points with the cricket-loving public.

Step forward one David Ivon Gower...