The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Not sure if there is a more relevant thread for this.

Reports in the Italian media that Serie A (the football league) is considering to buy Sky Italia from current owners Comcast. Additional reports in recent months have said that Sky Germany could also be up for sale.

www.broadbandtvnews.com 

www.reuters.com 

I wonder who will buy the rights to the 2025 club World Cup which will have 32 teams. Chelsea are set to be confirmed as a qualifier later today so they will be British Interest.

I think what FIFA and perhaps the regulators can't quite grasp is actually the broadcasters can't afford to do a World Cup of some sort every year. I suspect the Womens Euros will take priority over this, and the rights be far less.

ITV renews horse racing deal until end of 2026

www.itv.com 

Three more years of click-hungry news websites telling us Loose Women has been cancelled.
[-] The following 10 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Alx321, benzj, bkman1990, eyeTV, GMc, Happy2001, Jeff, Scratch_Perry, UTVLifer, Yorksman

(14-03-2023, 02:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I think what FIFA and perhaps the regulators can't quite grasp is actually the broadcasters can't afford to do a World Cup of some sort every year.  I suspect the Womens Euros will take priority over this, and the rights be far less.

I could see Fifa trying to stream it themselves via a PPV system they set up. Or do a global deal with the likes of Apple, Netflix or Amazon.

(14-03-2023, 02:45 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Three more years of click-hungry news websites telling us Loose Women has been cancelled.
Regurgitating the same article every year, did they do that when Channel 4 showed the Horse Racing and Countdown was cancelled?

(14-03-2023, 03:53 PM)NI92 Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 02:45 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Three more years of click-hungry news websites telling us Loose Women has been cancelled.
Regurgitating the same article every year, did they do that when Channel 4 showed the Horse Racing and Countdown was cancelled?

Clickbait articles were not as frequent back in 2015.

(14-03-2023, 02:43 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  ITV renews horse racing deal until end of 2026

www.itv.com 

Yet we still await "official confirmation" from them regarding the acquisition of the IPL cricket rights (jointly with DAZN) and the FIFA Women's World Cup (jointly with BBC).

(14-03-2023, 02:43 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  ITV renews horse racing deal until end of 2026

www.itv.com 

ITV have done such a good job with racing - C4 really stuffed it up when they got exclusivity.   I suspect had they retained High Flyer Productions and kept the signature C4 Racing style, which ITV Racing have certainly emulated, they may have retained them come 2017.

I'm guessing the Cheltenham deal though prevents ITV showing the last couple of races with them held back for Racing UK (I assume) - they seem to have to be off air by 4.30pm when at least going through to 5pm would make sense.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer