Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: 2022 - Present

(29-03-2023, 02:05 PM)oscillon Wrote:  
(29-03-2023, 01:57 PM)interestednovice Wrote:  It could end up quite similar to Studio D, where they have kept the desk area very much as it was but added a monolith screen. This may replace the catwalk in E and be used for programmes such as World Business Report.

I’m quite intrigued in the design myself, as I really like the current E and struggle to see how it could be improved very much. I take the point that the set is probably wearing out, so has to be replaced with something; I just wonder how different that something might be!

In D the monolith replaced the smaller TV-like screen, like the ones to the sides of the presenter's desk in E.

If anything should be done with the catwalk area, it is to replace the three screens with those large black borders by a single curved videowall, like the one used in B.
Yes, I agree! The most dated thing about E now is the three separate screens. A single curved screen would look far better.

I wasn’t quite sure what the monolith had replaced in D, not being a regular viewer of BBC London, so thanks for the clarification on that.
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

(29-03-2023, 02:05 PM)oscillon Wrote:  In D the monolith replaced the smaller TV-like screen, like the ones to the sides of the presenter's desk in E.

If anything should be done with the catwalk area, it is to replace the three screens with those large black borders by a single curved videowall, like the one used in B.
Even if tweaking the set was particularly desirable, you couldn't do a Studio D-type job as the monoliths require too big a footprint - to install one where the right-hand screen is would require taking up (at least partially) the outside Furio track. Replacing the catwalk screens would come with similar issues - although there would no longer be gaps between the screens, there would be a clear gap around the edge of the whole videowall owing to the fact the original set wasn't designed with dimensions of the LED panels in mind.

I would be very surprised if Studio E did not return with a wholly new 2022-style set because a) it'd be odd to leave the News channel studio out of the wider set rollout and b) the 2013 set will have to be replaced somewhen so it'd be a wasted opportunity not to do it when you have the chance. Although it does look good for a ten-year-old set, as Studio C is showing, at a certain age technical faults become increasingly common and it is harder to find spare parts. Though replacing individual components piecemeal is the cheaper option, it is a false economy that runs the risk of being a waste if something major and irreplaceable fails.
[-] The following 7 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Kojak, Ma76, Newsroom, oscillon, UTVLifer

(29-03-2023, 02:38 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(29-03-2023, 02:05 PM)oscillon Wrote:  In D the monolith replaced the smaller TV-like screen, like the ones to the sides of the presenter's desk in E.

Even if tweaking the set was particularly desirable, you couldn't do a Studio D-type job as the monoliths require too big a footprint - to install one where the right-hand screen is would require taking up (at least partially) the outside Furio track. Replacing the catwalk screens would come with similar issues - although there would no longer be gaps between the screens, there would be a clear gap around the edge of the whole videowall owing to the fact the original set wasn't designed with dimensions of the LED panels in mind.

I would be very surprised if Studio E did not return with a wholly new 2022-style set because a) it'd be odd to leave the News channel studio out of the wider set rollout and b) the 2013 set will have to be replaced somewhen so it'd be a wasted opportunity not to do it when you have the chance. Although it does look good for a ten-year-old set, as Studio C is showing, at a certain age technical faults become increasingly common and it is harder to find spare parts. Though replacing individual components piecemeal is the cheaper option, it is a false economy that runs the risk of being a waste if something major and irreplaceable fails.

Agreed on this DTV. There is no sense to restructuring E outside of what's been rolled out already. These upgrades are going to be have to have a shelf life of at least a decade unless there is some miraculous funding thrown at the BBC. 

You did not some time back the height of Studio E? Could it technically house multiple Monoliths?
[-] The following 3 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, UTVLifer

Studio C is old but too me looks great except for that fake newsroom background which ruins it, and why dosent anyone clean up the coffee beans on the floor next to the presenter ?
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, LTNewslover

(29-03-2023, 02:44 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  You did not some time back the height of Studio E? Could it technically house multiple Monoliths?
E does have a fairly low ceiling compared to the other studios at NBH - with a grid height roughly comparable to N8 - so I don't think you'd be able to even fit the ones from the regional sets in E. However, they are, of course, made up of LED tiles and so shorter monoliths could easily be made for E.

(29-03-2023, 02:52 PM)harshy Wrote:  Studio C is old but too me looks great except for that fake newsroom background which ruins it, and why dosent anyone clean up the coffee beans on the floor next to the presenter ?
I think that's just scuff/wear marks from the presenters' shoes.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, interestednovice, Ma76

A mini-monolith is sort of a contradiction in terms, but I understand what you mean!

I’m also in agreement with DTV - yes, the whole thing will probably have to be replaced, especially given the age of the sets and the near-constant use they’ve had, but what we get may end up looking similar? A (completely new) catwalk with curved videowall, potentially a monolith or two (possibly of a mini variety) and a similar desk to now, even though the other desks are not round, is what I expect.

The studio lends itself to a round desk and it helps for bringing on guests or, in rare occasions, when double-headed presentation is called for.

The big question in my mind is will the Furios be replaced with electric friends cameras as in Studio B?

PS - about the scuff marks: yes, I think that’s what they are! You can also see “black dots” on the catwalks of both Studio E and Studio C, which I think is where the surface has just worn out!
[-] The following 5 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, Ma76, UTVLifer, xlalonce

For some random reason Shaun Ley took off his blazer in the middle of the bulletin... There were slight problems with his mic audio too...
[Image: 4107921b5b4b5faf8e2f82200a6c6e36.png]
Anyone feeling nostalgic? Early 1997 News 24 vibes...
[-] The following 14 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, ginnyfan, Ian, interestednovice, Kojak, Ma76, negredo, PatrZDZ, PWD, Rolling News, TVFan, watchingtv, Yorksman

(29-03-2023, 04:10 PM)ALV Wrote:  For some random reason Shaun Ley took off his blazer in the middle of the bulletin... There were slight problems with his mic audio too...
I remember reading somewhere they wanted to go back to this kind of style, maybe it's another trial!

(29-03-2023, 04:10 PM)ALV Wrote:  For some random reason Shaun Ley took off his blazer in the middle of the bulletin... There were slight problems with his mic audio too...
Might be his last regular rotated  shift? Hope not.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chud's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(29-03-2023, 04:37 PM)Chud Wrote:  Might be his last regular rotated  shift? Hope not.
Seems like so
twitter.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like ALV's post:
  • bkman1990, Chud, interestednovice, Ma76, Rolling News
Thread Closed