BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

So here’re presentation elements each gallery is using…

B: Chameleon bulletin titles with location names in grey
C: Chameleon generic titles with location names in black; Chameleon blip
E: Chameleon bulletin titles with grey location names, trundle cam and long domestic theme; old World titles; old sting
Unknown (Probably A?): Chameleon blip with some errors

And outside the bulletins, the flipper only had headlines during 09:00–09:03, 10:00–10:03 and 11:45-11:55, all generated by Studio E gallery. What the hell is going on there?
[-] The following 4 users Like Frances's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Reith85, SomeRandomStuff

Paul Royall said there may be some "imperfections" on Friday's Newswatch. He wasn't lying...
[-] The following 5 users Like Reith85's post:
  • bakamann, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, Frances, Rolling News

Well the context seems a bit more polished but two hours is a stretch as well, not feeling this bbc news channel this is terrible.
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer

(03-04-2023, 08:11 PM)DAL1189 Wrote:  This is my first time posting, and I want to express my sympathies with the staff working at BBC news today. I’m sure this isn’t the product they envisioned, or wanted to be putting out, and I hope over the next few months they can work to deliver a better quality product. Whilst I think the move to consolidate the channels was short sighted, I really do think they can eventually make this work in some form, even if it looks unpolished at the minute.

I just feel sad. Sad that it’s gotten to this point where the BBC is forced to output this compromise service that doesn’t serve either the UK or international audiences very well. 

To think, a few years ago we had Afternoon Live with Simon McCoy - we didn’t know how good we had it.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

We often hear that BBC News' graphics are 4:3 safe because World News is only broadcast in widescreen in some areas, so the UK and everyone else has to compromise...
 [Image: F37-DB654-AB62-4647-A7-DE-1-C3-C4579-EE6-B.jpg]

...yet they're quite happy to have boxes with people in them outside the 4:3 safe zone. In this case the presenter.

Literally all their branding contradicts itself... titles, lower thirds, boxes, Chameleon, screen graphics, the works.

I wonder what Martin Lambie Nairn would've made of it all!
[-] The following 10 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chevron, itsrobert, James, LargelyALurker, LDN, matthieu1221, Reith85, SomeRandomStuff, TVHead

(03-04-2023, 08:41 PM)Worzel Wrote:  We often hear that BBC News' graphics are 4:3 safe because World News is only broadcast in widescreen in some areas, so the UK and everyone else has to compromise...
 [Image: F37-DB654-AB62-4647-A7-DE-1-C3-C4579-EE6-B.jpg]

...yet they're quite happy to have boxes with people in them outside the 4:3 safe zone. In this case the presenter.

Literally all their branding contradicts itself... titles, lower thirds, boxes, Chameleon, screen graphics, the works.

I wonder what Martin Lambie Nairn would've made of it all!
BBC News graphics are in 14:9 safe, not 4:3 safe.
Those 4:3 SD feeds broadcast in 14:9 letterbox.

So: I’ve held back all day on the basis of this is day one for colleagues and, y’know, nothing is ever perfect on day one.

I was intrigued, let’s call it that, at how report ‘lite’ various different hours were. It certainly added a punchy-ness and felt more of a rolling type of operation. That said, I do wonder how long this can be kept up and not impact the overall output.

Presentationally, it’s a bit of a dog’s dinner. It feels like various titles were being trialled. Not exactly a finished product. I have to say as well, those Chief Presenter promos — whilst maybe going for the informal, chuckles approach — were repeatedly described as ‘smug’ today. The context, of course, is that various people didn’t get the role and hearing the first one talk about the importance of Prince Philip’s funeral felt a little close to the bone given the sensitivities.

That said, I see no problem with the balance of global and local (although those regional reports need properly slicing). The UK News opt (albeit with lots of advance warning) worked well.
[-] The following 8 users Like Matrix's post:
  • bkman1990, DTV, GalxiSprout, Kojak, LDN, Reith85, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I wonder if they realise they're working on a television channel - a visual medium that needs aesthetically appealing design elements - and not a radio station, Nicky Campbell's televised phone-in radio show notwithstanding.

Doh! After being fixed on the Trump plane for an hour waiting for him to emerge, the gallery had a bit of a meltdown or finger trouble with the graphics and video/camera feeds so we missed the Donald leaving the plane...
[-] The following 4 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, itsrobert, oscillon, UTVLifer

Lambie-Nairn would have probably hated everything the BBC has done to his news graphics in the last decade. Certainly the parts of the 2008 rebrand that are left are significantly better than anything that has come since.
[-] The following 2 users Like SomeRandomStuff's post:
  • bkman1990, Reith85