BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

In a measure that goes beyond even the most exhaustive of cost cutting measures that could have been expected we now have the guy from the NBH canteen on air talking about mince packaging.
[-] The following 3 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice

12 minutes on mince packaging. Bizarre when they've practically ignored the rest of the UK news agenda for the last hour.
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent

(06-04-2023, 07:54 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  12 minutes on mince packaging. Bizarre when they've practically ignored the rest of the UK news agenda for the last hour.

I actually enjoyed that item and I think Maryam did too, it was handled brilliantly, even the opt out where she wasn't afraid to say "goodbye to our international viewers, bon apetit" rather than the stone cold opt that most of the presenters do.

Hopefully the other presenters will get used to the opt points and start handling them more naturally with time.
[-] The following 7 users Like dvboy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, Kojak, oscillon, Reith85

(06-04-2023, 08:02 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(06-04-2023, 07:47 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  In a measure that goes beyond even the most exhaustive of cost cutting measures that could have been expected we now have the guy from the NBH canteen on air talking about mince packaging.
What...?! 'The guy from the NBH canteen' is actually our very own Nicky Schiller. TV Forum royalty, I'll have you know!

No. Nicky may have led the report but the guy in the canteen was most certainly interviewed as part of it (and was introduced as such).
[-] The following 3 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, JamesWorldNews

(06-04-2023, 08:04 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  
(06-04-2023, 08:02 PM)Kojak Wrote:  What...?! 'The guy from the NBH canteen' is actually our very own Nicky Schiller. TV Forum royalty, I'll have you know!

No. Nicky may have led the report but the guy in the canteen was most certainly interviewed as part of it.
My apologies. To be fair the canteen guy was only on air for about a minute. It wasn't a bad item at all. I agree that Maryam handled the opt point very well - and with good humour, too! Can tell she's a foodie.

Did the World feed have a break at 20:16 BST? Christian name checked the channel before and after what he described as "some of the other stories making the headlines today", and there was this odd several seconds pause before he introduced this segment. Given that those headlines were Sturgeon, Sainsbury's beef(!) and Berlusconi, it leads me to suggest that we might just have had a proper UK opt out during the World ad break.
[-] The following 6 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, dvboy, Frances, freeaxe, Quantum+83

(06-04-2023, 08:23 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Did the World feed have a break at 20:16 BST? Christian name checked the channel before and after what he described as "some of the other stories making the headlines today", and there was this odd several seconds pause before he introduced this segment. Given that those headlines were Sturgeon, Sainsbury's beef(!) and Berlusconi, it leads me to suggest that we might just have had a proper UK opt out during the World ad break.

If only they could do that every hour.
[-] The following 3 users Like dvboy's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(06-04-2023, 08:27 PM)dvboy Wrote:  
(06-04-2023, 08:23 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Did the World feed have a break at 20:16 BST?  Christian name checked the channel before and after what he described as "some of the other stories making the headlines today", and there was this odd several seconds pause before he introduced this segment. Given that those headlines were Sturgeon, Sainsbury's beef(!) and Berlusconi, it leads me to suggest that we might just have had a proper UK opt out during the World ad break.

If only they could do that every hour.
Maybe they will... perhaps they've been reading this forum! Cool
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

Positives...
There’s still a news channel from the bbc available in the uk.
To Joe public, it doesn’t feel massively different, looks much the same, some different people presenting at different times.

Negatives...
All the opts and cuts are a bit clunky, and the graphics are disjointed.

These can be fixed (I mean they might not) but they CAN.

I really don’t get the emotion about running order and focus on uk v world different in differing hours. I think that’s all ok. I don’t want a half hour identical bulletin every half hour just going through motions and headlines.

I don’t think they whole to big is that bad.

Sorry!
[-] The following 2 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • chrisherald, Moz

Hello Smile This is my first time posting here.

I'm an international (french) viewer of the new BBC News channel and almost a week after the launch I have some thoughts:

When it comes to content :
They are some issues, but overall it is very decent, I'm sure that the odd technical glitch and hosts staring into oblivion between opt-ins will be ironed out very soon. Maybe I'm the only one, but seeing some UK related stuff is not a problem: the BBC is a British corporation after all...

When it comes to the presentation :
Oh boy... Where do I even begin?

-Lower Thirds:
The one line is a waste of space. So much unused space... And why is the font never the same size?!? I was never a fan of these lower thirds anyway, the animation is too slow.
And it lacks the immediacy of the 2013-2019 ones in my opinion. And why are the BBC News' graphics still presented in a 4:3 format?!? It's 2023!

-The ticker:
Well it was already useless on BBC World News, so the permanent bbc.com/news changes nothing for me.

-The red globe:
I am over it. it is dated and should've been replaced in 2019 anyway.

-The countdown:
The concept is tired! The basic idea has been the same for like 20 years now?!?
And who thought a white text on a white background was a good idea?!?

The "chameleon logo" in the intros, teasers and countdown:
In theory it was a good idea, reinforcing your brand "This is the BBC" on top and the name of the channel on the bottom.
But it's just scattering elements on screen, I would not be surprised if the Beeb ends up abandoning that idea and coming back to what Lambie-Nern did in 1997.

The music:
There's no debate, it is amazing. But like some, I would love to see some evolution. Something a bit more authoritative for exemple. And be brave and have some variation of the music without the pips for exemple!

In conclusion :
I've been watching BBC World News for over 10 years. I think the BBC is one of the best public broadcasters in the world.
But I would love for BBC News to be less 'cool' and more autoritative. And when I see people's reactions to Ros Atkins' and his no non-sense approach, I think I'm not the only one thinking that.
I hope they will be bold and interesting when they fully rebrand, the BBC needs to be ahead of the competition and needs to be respected again. I'm sure that new channel will be just fine.
[-] The following 14 users Like Tsigriwa's post:
  • bakamann, bbcworld24, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, freeaxe, ginnyfan, JamieD, Kojak, padraig, SlimyTrain, Spencer, SunburntRock89, thevaran