BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(12-04-2023, 03:06 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  
(12-04-2023, 02:33 PM)whistlerpro Wrote:  Saying it’s too small for a smartphone is nonsense, most smartphones have a better resolution than most TVs and they are held a lot closer to the face.

It’s not the resolution, it’s the physical size. The ticker is tiny on a smart phone.

They might as well remove the clock and Live/Locator graphic as well? I'm sure I remember reading when they updated the graphics that they were designed to be more smartphone and social media friendly?

I do wonder if/when they go to refresh the graphics in the future if we'll end up with huge font sizes on lower thirds.

(12-04-2023, 03:10 PM)Worzel Wrote:  
(12-04-2023, 03:06 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  It’s not the resolution, it’s the physical size. The ticker is tiny on a smart phone.

They might as well remove the clock and Live/Locator graphic as well? I'm sure I remember reading when they updated the graphics that they were designed to be more smartphone and social media friendly?

I do wonder if/when they go to refresh the graphics in the future if we'll end up with huge font sizes on lower thirds.
Yes exactly, if the ticker is considered too small, virtually everything except the headlines is also too small, including the logo.
[-] The following 4 users Like whistlerpro's post:
  • chrisherald, freeaxe, Juicy Joe, TJTSW

(12-04-2023, 03:06 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  
(12-04-2023, 02:33 PM)whistlerpro Wrote:  Saying it’s too small for a smartphone is nonsense, most smartphones have a better resolution than most TVs and they are held a lot closer to the face.

It’s not the resolution, it’s the physical size. The ticker is tiny on a smart phone.

It's actually both, most smart phones have very tightly compact pixels, retina on iPhones etc. Its very readable. So much so the BBC guy on Twitter posted a screenshot of a perfectly readable ticker and said 'This isnt readable'.

Of all the things associated with this new modus operandi, the flipper and associated “reasoning” for it seemingly not being used are just perplexing.

If it’s apparently too small to read, why bother keeping the website address there? Surely by their own definition that’s too small as well?

It’s nonsense anyway because most people viewing the stream on their phone will be viewing in full screen, which is likely to be a similar sized screen to a TV from the viewers perspective as even though it’s smaller than a TV, you view it much closer to your face, as opposed to a larger TV screen across a room.

Size aside, people viewing the live streams on their mobile device will be doing so *via the website or app* and therefore surely don’t need pointing towards the website they are likely to be on?

The lack of active flipper, and the loss of the secondary line of story text just smack me as a result of cuts to behind the scenes staff (text editor?). See also the new “reporter hubs” in the newsroom or whatever they’re called along with the lack of anyone bar the presenter being in the studio, which I have a strong suspicion are a result of cuts to floor managers.

Call them inventive solutions to problems caused by cuts or imaginative thinking, but this doesn’t feel like the kind of innovation that would be happening were they not being forced to radically scale back operations in my view.

The newsroom angle seems to be a bit nicer now, although the main touchscreen still seems at a bit of an odd angle and the logo in the corner doesn't really add anything in my opinion.

But definitely far better than when it was first used.

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 2 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • AIB01WB, thePineapple

I think (hope!) that the ticker/flipper situation maybe something to do with them maybe adopting an automated solution but it not working up to a standard by launch so it was pulled hence it just showing the URL.

It shouldn't be too difficult to set up something that pulls headlines from the website, one for international viewers and one for UK. The few days when the word 'Headlines' kept appearing gives the indication that there is something more to it than just displaying the URL.
[-] The following 4 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AJB39, ilsondan15, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

With regards to the flipper being to small for smartphones is rubbish, i have been watching it on the iplayer on my phone with airpods in and could read the flipper fine when it was in use. its must be down to cuts and not having people to do it anymore? or whoever does it is on an easter break?
[-] The following 5 users Like TJTSW's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, thePineapple, Universal_r, whistlerpro

(12-04-2023, 05:00 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(12-04-2023, 03:06 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  It’s not the resolution, it’s the physical size. The ticker is tiny on a smart phone.

It's actually both, most smart phones have very tightly compact pixels, retina on iPhones etc. Its very readable. So much so the BBC guy on Twitter posted a screenshot of a perfectly readable ticker and said 'This isnt readable'.

This shouldn’t make a difference. Modern phone screens use scaling so it’s equivalent to a certain revolution (e.g. a modern iPhone will have a pixel resolution of 2x or 3x what it is actually rendering)
[-] The following 2 users Like agentsquash's post:
  • bkman1990, TJTSW

(12-04-2023, 07:56 PM)agentsquash Wrote:  
(12-04-2023, 05:00 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  It's actually both, most smart phones have very tightly compact pixels, retina on iPhones etc. Its very readable. So much so the BBC guy on Twitter posted a screenshot of a perfectly readable ticker and said 'This isnt readable'.

This shouldn’t make a difference. Modern phone screens use scaling so it’s equivalent to a certain revolution (e.g. a modern iPhone will have a pixel resolution of 2x or 3x what it is actually rendering)

What i mean is, old phones, the physical screen may have meant the resolution was only 320 pixels wide. But with iPhones now, its actually double or treble that like you say, which benefits the ticker, not makes it unreadable.

Fun little quiz about BBC News bloopers:

www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, Rolling News