BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

To partly defend the BBC here, the alert went out a minute or two early which startled me and I'd imagine would have caught them off guard. I really don't know why they didn't just have a device in the studio to demonstrate it though.
[-] The following 7 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • AndrewP, BBI45, bkman1990, chaose, chrisherald, Jeff, Quantum+83

(23-04-2023, 09:32 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I really don't know why they didn't just have a device in the studio to demonstrate it though.

To be honest, if they did that, they'd have managed to find a phone which received no alert at all.  Big Grin

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 3 users Like BBI45's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

Even Christian Fraser's phone didn't go off! You'd think someone with Christians experience in foreign reporting and who is now a chief presenter on BBC NEWS would have a smartphone that enables him to be alerted to an emergency. Big Grin

(23-04-2023, 09:32 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  To partly defend the BBC here, the alert went out a minute or two early which startled me and I'd imagine would have caught them off guard. I really don't know why they didn't just have a device in the studio to demonstrate it though.

Could you guarantee a decent 4G or 5G signal in their studio?

(23-04-2023, 09:59 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Could you guarantee a decent 4G or 5G signal in their studio?
Were they in Studio C? If so, absolutely not. It's 3 floors underground (same level as the Tube) so I'd highly doubt there's cellular service there.
[-] The following 6 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, Brekkie, cando, Quantum+83

(23-04-2023, 09:58 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Even Christian Fraser's phone didn't go off! You'd think someone with Christians experience in foreign reporting and who is now a chief presenter on BBC NEWS would have a smartphone that enables him to be alerted to an emergency. Big Grin

Lots of people’s phones didn’t go off.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

BBC employees were sent an email shortly before the alert saying not to bring devices into the studio between 2:45 and 3:15. That might be why.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.

(23-04-2023, 09:58 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Even Christian Fraser's phone didn't go off! You'd think someone with Christians experience in foreign reporting and who is now a chief presenter on BBC NEWS would have a smartphone that enables him to be alerted to an emergency. Big Grin
He must be on Three! Either that or he had it turned off. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Kojak's post:
  • Quantum+83, Rolling News

(23-04-2023, 10:01 PM)MFTJA Wrote:  
(23-04-2023, 09:59 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Could you guarantee a decent 4G or 5G signal in their studio?
Were they in Studio C? If so, absolutely not. It's 3 floors underground (same level as the Tube) so I'd highly doubt there's cellular service there.

Not sure of the technical term but wouldn't they have repeaters down there (or whatever they are installing in the tube to gradually get cell service underground)? Seems a bit odd to me that everyone down there is reliant on WiFi or wired internet and landlines?

(23-04-2023, 10:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
He must be on Three! Either that or he had it turned off. Tongue

Again, lots of people’s phones didn’t go off. My other half is on O2 and had the notifications turned on but it still didn’t go off.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 3 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Kojak