BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(26-04-2023, 09:09 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  
(26-04-2023, 07:55 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  twitter.com 
He says that every day at 5 though because the back half hour is UK only due to Focus On Africa been on the World feed at 5.30 pm.

Oddly enough I only noticed that for the first time today too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald

“This programme continues on bbc1” sting in the middle of weather on the overrunning 10 tonight to hit the start of newsnight.

Rather it handed over cleanly, but another new development!
[-] The following 4 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, xlalonce

BBC News Channel again had to cut short the end of News at Ten to join Newsnight on time tonight. As a result, we missed the end of the weather & Huw's regular saunter over to the Celebrity Squares board.
[-] The following 6 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, xlalonce

(26-04-2023, 09:12 PM)harshy Wrote:  
(26-04-2023, 03:45 PM)Chud Wrote:  Yes agree. What id like to see an improvement on is the studio j sound. I find it really hard to listen with all the background noise. Today with Samantha Simmonds at 13.45 was particularly loud.

That’s the Uk feed though world viewers don’t get a presenter in front of a telly screen that’s reserved for the license fee payers.

Have seen a few people on here make the same mistake. It's licence not license.  Smile
[-] The following 11 users Like bai4943's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bbcworld24, bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, harshy, Independent, lulzyboy, Quantum+83

(26-04-2023, 03:45 PM)Chud Wrote:  
(26-04-2023, 03:18 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Moving on...

As much as I have criticised the new channel in recent weeks, I must say I am impressed with today's Sudan coverage. Multiple correspondents doing multiple lives from multiple locations, and lots of interviews with bystanders - this is what BBC (World) News does best, and what rolling news should be.

Yes agree. What id like to see an improvement on is the studio j sound. I find it really hard to listen with all the background noise. Today with Samantha Simmonds at 13.45 was particularly loud.
I honestly can’t hear any difference between the sound in Studio J and that in any other studio.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

(26-04-2023, 10:37 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  BBC News Channel again had to cut short the end of News at Ten to join Newsnight on time tonight. As a result, we missed the end of the weather & Huw's regular saunter over to the Celebrity Squares board.

Did you turn over to BBC One where the programme continued? Big Grin

(26-04-2023, 09:09 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  
(26-04-2023, 07:55 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  twitter.com 
He says that every day at 5 though because the back half hour is UK only due to Focus On Africa been on the World feed at 5.30 pm.

That really doesn’t make sense - the ‘in the next 60 minutes’ part doesn’t work for the non-U.K. audience that only get the first half hour of the programme (unless a different intro is somehow not going out on the world feed?). 

It’s also just really clunky and unnecessary in general. Why not ‘Live from London, this is BBC News’ as I thought it was to be?
[-] The following 2 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

(26-04-2023, 10:37 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  BBC News Channel again had to cut short the end of News at Ten to join Newsnight on time tonight. As a result, we missed the end of the weather & Huw's regular saunter over to the Celebrity Squares board.

God. Who is this actually serving? It's oft mentioned, but after a couple weeks where 0 improvements have been made to how the hand-off arrangement works, this really does seem like a blatant and lazy way to satisfy the hours of "premium" UK content. Why would you watch News at Ten on the NC if there's a pretty good chance it gets cut off?

There's far more utility in just calling it BBC World News, shovelling it off to world news, and at least having a differentiated product on-air for the hour. If a UK story breaks, then hopefully the opt-out system can still do it's thing.

BBC1 simulcasts started prior to when most people got their news off the internet and N24 was seen to be a minute-to-minute rolling service that people could dip into at anytime for a quick taste of the news. At this point, most people get their rolling coverage off the web and the existing dual world/UK news agenda fails to serve the former purpose well regardless.
[-] The following 7 users Like justinh's post:
  • bkman1990, Juicy Joe, Kojak, LDN, London Lite, Telefunken, thomalex

(26-04-2023, 03:18 PM)Kojak Wrote:  Moving on...

As much as I have criticised the new channel in recent weeks, I must say I am impressed with today's Sudan coverage. Multiple correspondents doing multiple lives from multiple locations, and lots of interviews with bystanders - this is what BBC (World) News does best, and what rolling news should be.
Further to this, I happened to be up to catch the 2am BST bulletin from Washington, and was very impressed. Short sharp headlines - only three and no thunderclaps/restarting the bed each time - and generally much better produced than the London or Singapore bulletins. If all hours were produced in the same way, it would be a big improvement. And Sumi Somaskanda is excellent. She’ll be a really big name in 5-10 years, mark my words.
[-] The following 10 users Like Kojak's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bbcworld24, bkman1990, Jeff, London Lite, oscillon, Quantum+83, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(26-04-2023, 11:01 PM)Moz Wrote:  
(26-04-2023, 03:45 PM)Chud Wrote:  Yes agree. What id like to see an improvement on is the studio j sound. I find it really hard to listen with all the background noise. Today with Samantha Simmonds at 13.45 was particularly loud.
I honestly can’t hear any difference between the sound in Studio J and that in any other studio.
I can hear it and I don’t even have a surround sound setup, why can’t they just use studio E?
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • whistlerpro