Elections 2023

(06-05-2023, 09:56 AM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(05-05-2023, 07:02 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  twitter.com 
Oooh, is that a News Channel (UK opt) display of the Red Bee HUD (aka Presfax) I spot?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who found that more interesting that the screen he was talking about. Tongue
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

Yeah I am always looking at the screen of the 9 feeds much more interesting

(06-05-2023, 06:38 PM)Kojak Wrote:  What gets me are the (ex?) GB News people whom the BBC constantly book. Anyone would think they didn't have their own channel to pontificate on!
Unfortunately, there is a relatively strong inverse correlation between a pundit's quality and their bookability. On election night, in particular, the people who know what they are talking about are the ones drilling down into the results, not the ones sat by the phone waiting for it to ring.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, Jeff, Kojak, msim, Omnipresent, Quantum+83

I appreciate it's an easy & inexpensive means of filling airtime, but the BBC really should drop the panel of pundits format. There's just the same cast of pundits rotating across the broadcasters.
[-] The following 4 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • chrisherald, Kojak, msim, Quantum+83

(06-05-2023, 08:38 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  I appreciate it's an easy & inexpensive means of filling airtime, but the BBC really should drop the panel of pundits format.  There's just the same cast of pundits rotating across the broadcasters.
Completely agree with you. Sadly it seems the aim now is to get the most incendiary pundits together in order to start a row, and thus get a buzz on social media.
[-] The following 4 users Like Kojak's post:
  • cando, Omnipresent, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

And that is generally what viewers are tired of. Ed Balls and George Osborne have worked for ITV in recent years because you know they are ideologically opposed to each other, in a political sense at least, but work well together.
[-] The following 6 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, Kojak, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(06-05-2023, 09:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And that is generally what viewers are tired of.  Ed Balls and George Osborne have worked for ITV in recent years because you know they are ideologically opposed to each other, in a political sense at least, but work well together.
Speaking of - and yes, you’re all going to groan - I’m surprised they’ve never tried George out for GMB. Ed is obviously a regular host, and Alastair Campbell has hosted in the past, both of whom are Labour people - so I’m surprised no one from the right has made an appearance.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kojak's post:
  • Brekkie

(06-05-2023, 09:28 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(06-05-2023, 09:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And that is generally what viewers are tired of.  Ed Balls and George Osborne have worked for ITV in recent years because you know they are ideologically opposed to each other, in a political sense at least, but work well together.
Speaking of - and yes, you’re all going to groan - I’m surprised they’ve never tried George out for GMB. Ed is obviously a regular host, and Alastair Campbell has hosted in the past, both of whom are Labour people - so I’m surprised no one from the right has made an appearance.

Is there really anyone available on the right who isn't on another news show though? I would've said Esther McVey, but she and her husband are on GB News?

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]

I think Laura would work quite well on the interviews next year, slotting in to replace Andrew Neil on the overnights for a GE
[-] The following 6 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AJB39, Apples, bkman1990, cando, Jeff, Quantum+83

Agree with all discussing the overuse of the pundit format on BBC coverage. The 2019 General Election programme also simply gave up on actually providing an actual results and analysis service after a few hours and instead became a talking head format. The same nobodies and client journalists/columnists on rotation. Naturally this was also interspersed with far too many news bulletins ruining what flow they did have which the BBC also seem fixated on doing.

We can however be thankful that it appears the god awful Jeremy Vine has at long last been binned.
[-] The following 1 user Likes msim's post:
  • UTVLifer