Discussion of Continuity Announcement Style and Delivery

This was the anno into last nights programme
tvhome.co.uk 

(19-09-2022, 08:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  This was the anno into last nights programme
tvhome.co.uk 

He sounds embarrasingly terrible! Toe curling! Surely the main prerequisite for the announcing role is to actually sound good and to know how to deliver naturally?
[-] The following 2 users Like Lester's post:
  • Rijowhi, thomash79

My God, I heard that mess last night too. Combined with the embarrassing intro today, one has to wonder who exactly are these people and were they really dragged in from street, just because they tick certain boxes?

Properly spoken English should be BBC's priority No1 when choosing on air announcers. It's plain and simple. Especially in these circumstances.
[-] The following 3 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • BeebBoy, Rijowhi, thomash79

(19-09-2022, 09:03 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  My God, I heard that mess last night too. Combined with the embarrassing intro today, one has to wonder who exactly are these people and were they really dragged in from street, just because they tick certain boxes?

Properly spoken English should be BBC's priority No1 when choosing on air announcers. It's plain and simple. Especially in these circumstances.
I don't expect to hear the Queen's English anymore (but how pleasingly appropriate would that have been today of all days?), but standards in the art of announcing have dropped to an alarming and embarrassing degree in a desperate attempt to 'tick certain boxes', as you say. "Positive discrimination" (as it used to be called) is still discrimination, whichever way you look at it. Appointing someone to a certain role should be done on merit and nothing else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BeebBoy's post:
  • ginnyfan

If that's his accent, he can't help it. I feel like you guys are being questionably judgemental. The role of a continuity announcer is to inform the viewer of the next programme clearly, which he did.

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • all new phil, Critique

(19-09-2022, 09:47 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  If that's his accent, he can't help it. I feel like you guys are being questionably judgemental. The role of a continuity announcer is to inform the viewer of the next programme clearly, which he did.
It's not the accent it's the delivery. There's a man on ITV that sounds like he has a London black/ethnic accent and he sounds really good, great delivery etc. This guy sounds stilted and just not very good at his job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lester's post:
  • thomash79

I thought the junction in question (after the funeral) wasn't that bad, personally. Whilst I did notice it at the time - I thought it wasn't the greatest, and didn't quite hit the right tone, but not the abject embarrassment that's possibly being described on here. Just a mild mis-step.

But I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the BBC Complaints page since it does seem to have registered with a minority on social media - and it's perhaps noteworthy that the announcer only covered that one junction.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IanJRedman's post:
  • thomash79

(19-09-2022, 08:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  This was the anno into last nights programme
tvhome.co.uk 

If I'm being honest, I kind of feel bad for this announcer, given he's not prepared to announce something on this magnitude and it genuinely did remind me of this bit Newsnight did back in 2013:
youtu.be 

I imagine he's still a decent continuity announcer in any other scenario.
[-] The following 2 users Like Allanbuzzy's post:
  • Lester, Roger Darthwell

(19-09-2022, 09:45 PM)BeebBoy Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 09:03 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  My God, I heard that mess last night too. Combined with the embarrassing intro today, one has to wonder who exactly are these people and were they really dragged in from street, just because they tick certain boxes?

I don't expect to hear the Queen's English anymore (but how pleasingly appropriate would that have been today of all days?), but standards in the art of announcing have dropped to an alarming and embarrassing degree in a desperate attempt to 'tick certain boxes', as you say. "Positive discrimination" (as it used to be called) is still discrimination, whichever way you look at it. Appointing someone to a certain role should be done on merit and nothing else.

How long do you reckon before we get to something like "Yo yo yo, let's give It up for the E20 Crew up now on the Beeb."?

You'd have to throw your telly away.
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • Rijowhi, thomash79

(19-09-2022, 10:06 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  
tvhome.co.uk 

If I'm being honest, I kind of feel bad for this announcer, given he's not prepared to announce something on this magnitude and it genuinely did remind me of this bit Newsnight did back in 2013:
youtu.be 

I imagine he's still a decent continuity announcer in any other scenario.
I don't necessarily blame him either - he's only doing his job, however badly... but I do blame the misguided idiots who put him and others in that position in the first place. You really want your very best and most experienced voices at such a momentous time in broadcasting history. Sadly, common sense plays an all too small part in the way that decisions are made at the BBC these days.

(19-09-2022, 10:27 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  
(19-09-2022, 09:45 PM)BeebBoy Wrote:  

How long do you reckon before we get to something like "Yo yo yo, let's give It up for the E20 Crew up now on the Beeb."?

You'd have to throw your telly away.
I'd give it a week at this rate
[-] The following 1 user Likes BeebBoy's post:
  • thomash79