Sky News

(24-05-2023, 01:52 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  
Rob Francis Wrote:Sky News have launched an audio feed on TuneIn...

rxtvinfo.com 
I noticed that on my TuneIn Home Screen this morning. It’s a nice addition if you’re out and about.
Sky used to have an audio feed of Sky News on their own website about 15 years ago - so it's kind of back to the future, in a way. Always was a good idea, especially then, when video streaming quality was nowhere near what it is now.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kojak's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Hellsloot, robxu9, Roger Darthwell, TVenthusiasm

It's a good addition, but it would be nice if there was a easy to copy stream link. I don't really want to have to download TuneIn just to listen to Sky News in the car.

I kissed a gull and I liked it!

Regarding the car crashing into the gates of Downing Street off Whitehall. Im watching SkyNews and whilst the news is breaking.... They are simply showing a shot of the Palace of Westminster. There are 50 cameras pointed at the WhiteHouse live all day everyday. Im shocked there are no cameras showing at least the gates or even WhiteHall itself. Ive seen more from social media than they have been able to put on screen. Why does UK have a lack of live cameras?

(25-05-2023, 04:55 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Regarding the car crashing into the gates of Downing Street off Whitehall. Im watching SkyNews and whilst the news is breaking.... They are simply showing a shot of the Palace of Westminster. There are 50 cameras pointed at the WhiteHouse live all day everyday. Im shocked there are no cameras showing at least the gates or even WhiteHall itself. Ive seen more from social media than they have been able to put on screen. Why does UK have a lack of live cameras?
Live shots on now

(25-05-2023, 04:55 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Regarding the car crashing into the gates of Downing Street off Whitehall. Im watching SkyNews and whilst the news is breaking.... They are simply showing a shot of the Palace of Westminster. There are 50 cameras pointed at the WhiteHouse live all day everyday. Im shocked there are no cameras showing at least the gates or even WhiteHall itself. Ive seen more from social media than they have been able to put on screen. Why does UK have a lack of live cameras?

The BBC's camera was in a more useful position for this incident, looking down Whitehall while Sky's was looking towards Westminster Bridge, and they were able to wind back to show a replay of the (not particularly high-speed) crash.

While I do agree it's a bit of a shame we no longer have things like LNN's skyline cameras, they're not useful all that frequently. Certainly I can see why there isn't a permanent Downing Street camera - it's a very easy site for crews to set up at short notice, it's only incredibly rare incidents like this where they wouldn't be allowed access for security reasons where it might have been useful.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • scottishtv

Took waaay to long. Thats should be one of the fastest shots to get. Simply a touch of a button. Im sorry waiting for someone to run down the road from their Whitehall Office with a camera is crazy. The BBC interrupted Talking Movies and had live pictures seeming of the Cenotaph, which of course its near Downing Street to immediately take. Could have just been a traffic camera they took. It just seems that a shot of or near Downing Street should just be a given as this is the official residence of the PM. And you cant use security as an excuse as the White House is constantly under surveillance by the worlds media.

The BBC News logo slots rather neatly above the Sky News Breaking News graphics

[Image: b7onsn1.png]

(You can spot a sliver of the text transitioning on the BBC News graphics, but still!)
[-] The following 11 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, cando, DeMarkay, Happy2001, Nobby, scottishtv, ste9, Stuart, thePineapple, Transmission

I think this is the first time on the Sky News website that I've seen them put a livestream on the front page for breaking news, instead of just a link to their live updates:

[-] The following 1 user Likes robxu9's post:
  • watchingtv

(25-05-2023, 05:38 PM)robxu9 Wrote:  I think this is the first time on the Sky News website that I've seen them put a livestream on the front page for breaking news, instead of just a link to their live updates:

It was last done on the weekend of the coronation.
[-] The following 2 users Like Skygeek's post:
  • bkman1990, watchingtv

There is one at the top of Millbank Tower which is what the BBC had pointing at Westminster Bridge when the terror attack happened there a few years ago. 

Having permanent live cameras in front of certain buildings would be a pointless expense 99.9999% of the time. Even when it does you couldn't guarantee it could get a good shot of what's happening, you'd have to be very lucky. Cameras on top of tall buildings are of limited use too, ok for something where there's smoke to be seen but normally there'd be buildings in the way of something on the ground. 

I remember hearing that during one of the London bombings someone had the bright idea of getting BBC London's roof top camera to try and film events, they didn't seem to understand that a 6 storey high camera couldn't zoom in on a bus 3 miles away! 

The other answer is in your question... why would they be needed these days - everyone's got cameras in their pockets