BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(27-05-2023, 12:45 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  I thought gradually they would go back to the usual presentation, with the side shot of screen, main close up shot and occasional catwalk usage. But NO, it looks like we are stuck with this one close-up shot forever. The studio wide intro shot is also somehow slower and less urgent than before.

It must be because of this terrible change with the self-operated autocue. Presenters have to focus on kicking that peddle or switching that button on the device on the desk. It must make the whole thing much more complicated for them. There's no freedom to change camera shots, turn around, move freely. They are all like frozen robots, having to focus on that device.

Was this change really necessary? Surely someone who used to do it in the gallery, can do it again. Are they that desperate to save a few bucks? I have also noticed more presenters now have their small or big bags under the desk, or next to their chair, something that never happened before. I wonder if they have to do their own make up now, perhaps? The desk area has become a dressing room as well, for some.

[Image: 12-05-2023-5.jpg]

[Image: 21-05-2023-2.jpg]

[Image: 24-04-2023-1.jpg]

[Image: 22-05-2023-5.jpg]

What's next? Presenters operating the whole gallery? Being the floor managers? Do they even have them anymore?
Presenters have had their bags in the studio for some time. There was a blooper several years ago (certainly pre covid) where Carole Walker was caught out with her bag on the desk when the cameras went to the studio too early.
[-] The following 3 users Like qwerty123's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice

The French news channels also use manual autocues and BFMTV in particular manages to keep things lively (they can also present away from a desk with hand held autocues). Hopefully it's just a case of presenters still getting used to it.

(27-05-2023, 12:45 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  What's next? Presenters operating the whole gallery? Being the floor managers? Do they even have them anymore?

My understanding is that the news channel no longer has any floor managers.

(27-05-2023, 01:13 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  Presenters have had their bags in the studio for some time. There was a blooper several years ago (certainly pre covid) where Carole Walker was caught out with her bag on the desk when the cameras went to the studio too early.
I think Fiona Bruce fell foul of that on at least one occasion, too.
[-] The following 3 users Like Studio7's post:
  • AndrewP, interestednovice, watchingtv

(27-05-2023, 02:04 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 12:45 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  What's next? Presenters operating the whole gallery? Being the floor managers? Do they even have them anymore?

My understanding is that the news channel no longer has any floor managers. 

My understanding is different. Although I've now left, there were certainly floor managers during the pilots. Also without an operational person in the studio, there are massive impacts on fire protocols, working alone guidance, and of course the actual operation of the programme.
[-] The following 12 users Like bbctvtechop's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, Independent, interestednovice, oscillon, Reith85, Stuart, Studio7, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

If you want to watch an example of how bad someone on a "news" channel operates their own autocue, watch GB "News" at the weekend with Mark Dolan's show, and you will see the epitome of ineptitude in operating the autocue with his remote clicker. Mark's delivery is appalling, even after all these months he has been on air, he still looks like he has no idea what he is reading.

(27-05-2023, 02:04 PM)qwerty123 Wrote:  Presenters have had their bags in the studio for some time. There was a blooper several years ago (certainly pre covid) where Carole Walker was caught out with her bag on the desk when the cameras went to the studio too early.

I think Fiona Bruce fell foul of that on at least one occasion, too.
Here is the capture I did of Ms Bruce in rather a hurry to get away quickly with just her lanyard in this botched ending to the 10 in 2018 . . .  Tongue

youtu.be 
[-] The following 7 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, MLehon, Studio7

(22-05-2023, 02:28 PM)Andrew Wrote:  They look to me like something that might have been designed in the mocks gallery over on the old blue place

Those descriptions of each show in the press release above are pure W1A and in terms of the 1st and 3rd show basically describe what the News Channel should be all the time
Indeed!

Sorry for the late reply to your post (I’m only just catching up with the thread here) but I absolutely agree with you.

“news-making interviews” and “analysis” are supposed to be what a rolling news channel is all about.

It’s worrying that the modern BBC News strategy appears to be all gimmic, no strategy over branding or appearance (which erodes the brand’s authority and credibility) and a disjointed approach to rolling things out which leaves the loyal viewer with an “asleep at the wheel” feeling. The channel is certainly undervalued at the BBC.

(27-05-2023, 06:21 PM)bbctvtechop Wrote:  
(27-05-2023, 02:04 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  My understanding is that the news channel no longer has any floor managers. 

My understanding is different. Although I've now left, there were certainly floor managers during the pilots. Also without an operational person in the studio, there are massive impacts on fire protocols, working alone guidance, and of course the actual operation of the programme.
Ah, right! I will happily admit to being wrong. Think I must have put 2 and 2 together and got 5. There are definitely fewer people overseeing operations, are there not?
[-] The following 2 users Like Studio7's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

And the news channel is STILL leading with Schofield (8:30 headlines), which is now day-old news. “Holly Willoughby is upset” - WOW! No kidding! Makes a mockery of this alleged global focus.

(27-05-2023, 08:33 PM)Studio7 Wrote:  And the news channel is STILL leading with Schofield (8:30 headlines), which is now day-old news. “Holly Willoughby is upset” - WOW! No kidding! Makes a mockery of this alleged global focus.

I noticed the first 3 headlines at 8pm was all UK related with Schofield, E-Gates and Post Office stories.
[-] The following 10 users Like harryb's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, JamesWorldNews, LargelyALurker, Renap, Rolling News, Studio7, UTVLifer