BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(02-06-2023, 06:57 AM)Stuart Wrote:  When I looked for it on iPlayer, I just got a repeating loop of the BBC News Sting, which is actually rather nice.

[Image: fast-show-which-was-nice.gif]
[-] The following 6 users Like James2001's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, Former Member 406, Jon, Quantum+83, Stuart

twitter.com 

Twitter has pointed out that Gareth Barlow looks like a young David Sillito
[-] The following 12 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, itsrobert, oscillon, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, Studio7, Telefunken, thevaran, UTVLifer

World viewers must not have a clue who Schofield is it’s even on world only bulletins what a joke.
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, BlightyExPat, Independent, Pips2022

(02-06-2023, 02:08 PM)harshy Wrote:  World viewers must not have a clue who Schofield is it’s even on world only bulletins what a joke.

I absolutely agree. What's more, the little UK only time there is (eg at 13:45) they focused on this story instead of news about the Covid inquiry. It's understandable that they want to push their exclusive interview, but it's on iPlayer and across social media and also it hasn't brought much to the story.

Since this new channel I think there's been a political void - you might find analysis from the BBC on Newsnight or Radio 4, but I think there is a need for something to replace the News Channel to provide rolling coverage of UK politics more than a Twitter thread (which also levels the playing field for competitors).
[-] The following 8 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, harshy, ilsondan15, Independent, Roger Darthwell

(02-06-2023, 02:17 PM)thePineapple Wrote:  Since this new channel I think there's been a political void - you might find analysis from the BBC on Newsnight or Radio 4, but I think there is a need for something to replace the News Channel to provide rolling coverage of UK politics more than a Twitter thread (which also levels the playing field for competitors).

Some would say job done then.   Will be interesting to see how any election is covered - World viewers aren't going to be interested in the day to day campaigning of an election campaign.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, thePineapple

(02-06-2023, 02:22 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Will be interesting to see how any election is covered - World viewers aren't going to be interested in the day to day campaigning of an election campaign.

I'd hope they break out of coverage regularly; we have seen them do that for UK stories a fair amount, for court cases etc. Hopefully the predictable nature means they can plan something that makes sense.

At the same time, they can't have fully separate coverage and also it relies on the good judgement of editors etc, whose bad judgement I was just complaining about, so as you say, there are questions that we'll have to wait to be answered.
[-] The following 3 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent

(02-06-2023, 02:22 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Some would say job done then.   Will be interesting to see how any election is covered - World viewers aren't going to be interested in the day to day campaigning of an election campaign.
I have a feeling they will just televise Electioncast (as they did in the last election period) and call it a day. If things carry on the way they are, though, I can see there being much more election stuff on World than there should be. 

That brings me on to a broader point, as it happens: this new channel has turned out to be such a fudge. Can't imagine anyone is that happy with it, be it UK viewers wanting more UK news, or World viewers wanting world news. There seems to be a really unhappy medium that editors have settled on. The presentation is basic enough to put GB News to shame. Surely if it carries on like this, the all-important world viewers will start to switch off in their droves? I can't for one minute fathom your average BBC World viewer in New York or Nairobi giving a hoot about P. Schofield, or the intricacies of the upcoming Labour manifesto. Fewer viewers = less ad revenue = even less money for BBC News = further cutbacks. Not what anyone here wants to see, I'm sure. 

I won't go over old ground because it's been done to death. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. If this move of the One to Salford really happens then there's even less chance of any reversal, partial or otherwise. What the BBC News head honchos need to do now is make these new arrangements work. They don't seem to be doing that at the moment.
[-] The following 9 users Like Studio7's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, Brekkie, chrisherald, harshy, Independent, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

*BALLOON ALERT * BALLOON ALERT * BALLOON ALERT*

twitter.com 
[-] The following 12 users Like JamesWorldNews's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Deejay, Frances, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, Studio7, UTVLifer, xlalonce

This caught my eye from the Atlantic article posted in the CNN thread:

Quote:“I want more movement. Lots of movement,” [CNN boss Chris Licht] told Eric Hall, [CNN This Morning]’s executive producer, who sat in the center of the first row. “What do I hate the most?”

Hall and a younger producer named Zachary Slater responded in unison: “Boxes.”

Licht nodded. “Boxes,” he said, referring to the Brady Bunch look on cable-news screens. “I don’t want it to be frenetic, but please make sure there’s movement. We need to see these people.”

He'd HATE the new BBC News channel...
[-] The following 7 users Like Studio7's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Frances, harshy, Ittr, UTVLifer

(02-06-2023, 02:30 PM)thePineapple Wrote:  I'd hope they break out of coverage regularly; we have seen them do that for UK stories a fair amount, for court cases etc. Hopefully the predictable nature means they can plan something that makes sense.

At the same time, they can't have fully separate coverage and also it relies on the good judgement of editors etc, whose bad judgement I was just complaining about, so as you say, there are questions that we'll have to wait to be answered.

What will be most problematic for the news channel next year is if both the UK General Election and the US Presidential Election are within weeks of each other next autumn. 
Hopefully the UK GE will be in May or June, but Sunak could delay it until October or November (or even January 2025 if he's desperate and just wants to run down the clock, but that's unlikely).
Then you'll get UK viewers tuning in during the evening for example, expecting a round up of UK election campaign news, but instead will get US election news & discussion on The Context.
[-] The following 4 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Quantum+83