BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(02-06-2023, 07:05 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  What will be most problematic for the news channel next year is if both the UK General Election and the US Presidential Election are within weeks of each other next autumn. 
Hopefully the UK GE will be in May or June, but Sunak could delay it until October or November.
Then you'll get UK viewers tuning in during the evening for example, expecting a round up of UK election campaign news, but instead will get US election news & discussion on The Context.
You’d assume such a circumstance would be seen as a special case and they’d come up with an elegant solution. To be honest, it would be an issue even without the merged channel in getting the balance between coverage of the US and UK elections.
[-] The following 8 users Like Jon's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, DTV, Quantum+83, Studio7, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Jon Wrote:You’d assume such a circumstance would be seen as a special case and they’d come up with an elegant solution. To be honest, it would be an issue even without the merged channel in getting the balance between coverage of the US and UK elections.

Even if the UK election doesn’t clash with the US election, would they have extensive UK election coverage on The Context? Seems to be very American news skewed whenever I see it.
[-] The following 5 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Independent, Quantum+83

(02-06-2023, 08:13 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Even if the UK election doesn’t clash with the US election, would they have extensive UK election coverage on The Context? Seems to be very American news skewed whenever I see it.
Nah, they pretty much always have at least one UK story on, even if towards the end, and have never shied away from UK political stories, aided by their frequent bookings from the UK pundit circuit. Much like its predecessors in the 100 Days family, it very much has a US first, UK second, Rest of the World last sense of priorities. The problem is, and I know I'm a bit of a broken drum on this, that the pace is so glacial that, unless you're watching the whole thing, it's hard to really know the different stories they're covering.
[-] The following 8 users Like DTV's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Quantum+83, Studio7, UTVLifer

(02-06-2023, 08:38 PM)DTV Wrote:  The problem is, and I know I'm a bit of a broken drum on this, that the pace is so glacial that, unless you're watching the whole thing, it's hard to really know the different stories they're covering.
There’s a point: weren’t we told by the resident BBC shills and spokespeople that the merger would lead to a much faster paced channel than what we had on either of the old channels? Yet what we have is deathly slow-paced and lethargic. There’s analysis and then there’s just rambling on. The emphasis seems to be very much on the latter currently.
[-] The following 9 users Like Studio7's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, thePineapple, UTVLifer

We had the first presenting appearance this evening on the UK Feed of producer Sergi Forcada.
Seems like he never thought this would be possible due to his Spanish accent, but he achieved it today!

twitter.com 
[-] The following 8 users Like RDJ's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 406, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

An unusual move by the Beeb to run live at 1am UKT "a special program on the artificial intelligence" (from DC, with Sumi anchoring) instead of a regular news bulletin.

Given that the previous hour's bulletin was all Biden, and at 23:30 there was a Biden pre-show in the form of Americast repeat, this leaves an uncomfortable 2,5 hour gap without any non-Biden news (and it's not like there ain't any)
[-] The following 5 users Like oscillon's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Independent, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

(02-06-2023, 11:34 PM)RDJ Wrote:  We had the first presenting appearance this evening on the UK Feed of producer Sergi Forcada.
Seems like he never thought this would be possible due to his Spanish accent, but he achieved it today!

twitter.com 
He has a cute accent and looks good on air. Nice one, hopefully we’ll see him again ☺️
[-] The following 2 users Like lobster's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

(02-06-2023, 11:34 PM)TRDJ Wrote:  We had the first presenting appearance this evening on the UK Feed of producer Sergi Forcada.

twitter.com 

I don’t want to make a boring comment about newsreader attire, but allowing such casual dress downgrades the feed even further.  It just looks bargain basement in every single way
[-] The following 5 users Like Pips2022's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Jayesyn, JJJJ, leewilliams

(03-06-2023, 06:19 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  I don’t want to make a boring comment about newsreader attire, but allowing such casual dress downgrades the feed even further.  It just looks bargain basement in every single way

A bit like what this guy was wearing from a couple of weeks ago who popped up on a Wednesday afternoon.
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, leewilliams, Quantum+83

The informality of the dress code doesn't bother me on the whole but it's clear this is less about the BBC being more inclusive in deciding who they put on air and more about the BBC having got rid of their newsreaders (though reportedly many of the UK faces are still on the payroll, just not being used) and instead having to use reporters and producers to do their job instead.

There has long been a joke about the 1.30pm Newsbeat bulletin on Radio 1 being read by the last person in the office after everyone else has gone to lunch, and when random reporters now turn up in a newsreading roll on the news channel it has somewhat of a similar feeling.