BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(31-05-2023, 10:12 PM)Moz Wrote:  Just loving this…

Such a clever representation of Africa.

[Image: IMG_7539.gif]

Ooh this has been played out just now but they made a mess of it, it had focus on Africa on the left, the bbc news red block bottom left as well as the bbc news chameleon style, it had an African looking at his mobile suspiciously and a businesswoman and a shot of a capital city.
[-] The following 11 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Juicy Joe, Michael 18, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, SlimyTrain, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(05-06-2023, 05:35 PM)harshy Wrote:  Ooh this has been played out just now but they made a mess of it, it had focus on Africa on the left, the bbc news red block bottom left as well as the bbc news chameleon style, it had an African looking at his mobile suspiciously and a businesswoman and a shot of a capital city.
And they have different BBC block animations in the titles and the stings…
I think this could be spotted during rehearsals.  Sad
[-] The following 3 users Like Frances's post:
  • chrisherald, harshy, Superman1986

(05-06-2023, 05:35 PM)harshy Wrote:  Ooh this has been played out just now but they made a mess of it, it had focus on Africa on the left, the bbc news red block bottom left as well as the bbc news chameleon style, it had an African looking at his mobile suspiciously and a businesswoman and a shot of a capital city.
twitter.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Quantum+83

God, they still can't get the basics right. Time that red box was locked away for good.
[-] The following 9 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, Jayesyn, LargelyALurker, LDN, Newsroom, Rolling News, UTVLifer

This new channel is going to fail. Inconsistencies everywhere you look at. A lot of bloopers like showing the same video in split screen, wrong graphics, branding inconsistencies. Also this PowerPoint intros that even people with limited resources can do a much better job than those. The split screen interviews have their background animations replaced with plain background. It looks so boring to watch now. And the shot facing with the presenter facing the screen during interviews are gone. The flipper is only showing 3, often not newsworthy headlines. And spending too much time on that tv presenter that even got first in in the order of the international feed. Spending too much times on interviews that they miss a lot of big news in other countries that i only find in other channels. Sometimes i just turn off this channel and switch to others as i often can't stand these amateurish errors. Are amateurs running this channel now?

This is even worse

twitter.com 
[-] The following 10 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, harshy, Juicy Joe, LDN, Michael 18, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

From a presentation point of view, its actually quite worrying how the sheer number of mistakes like this keep slipping through the net and making it to air. I hope this lack of attention to detail doesn't start dripping into editorial as well.

Hacked titles with dodgy frame rates, general issues with titles, newsroom DTL cameras which haven't been set up properly, the UK opt out feed with a presenter sitting in front of a very poorly rendered fake newsroom backdrop, you could go on.

Whatever anyone says, these types of issues have increased post the merger. Before, they had two channels which looked reasonably good presentation wise (albeit with titles which needed a refresh) but have merged them into something which, visually, is on a par with some BBC regional news operations.

On the branded segments, if you're going to have bespoke titles for slots, at least pimp up the studio with something that's vaguely visually relevant, such as changing the graphics on the OTS screens, catwalk screens, backdrop and add the show slug to the lower thirds - otherwise what's the point. Also, please get the presenters back standing up from time to time at the catwalk, it's like the News channel in N6 all over again.

Some have said this is a stop gap to a refreshed BBC News coming later along the line. If that's the case, why not wait a few months until that's completely ready? Why butcher the LN titles several times over, and twice in a matter of months? BBC News is now pretty much back to a pre-1999 and pre-2008 state where the brand visually meant different things to different audiences and Martin Lambie Nairn was brought in to fix it, twice.

It all smacks a bit of the left arm not knowing what the right arm's doing, silo working and possibly, people trying to drag the brand in one direction and others, a different way.

Why the heck would people working in the gallery have BBC News written on the same titles for Focus on Africa twice.

I sincerely hope that error with the titles was a one off. The execution of that presentation for that programme's first airing of it's new look is just comically bad.

The previous titles and music for it were much better.

(05-06-2023, 07:08 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Whatever anyone says, these types of issues have increased post the merger. Before, they had two channels which looked reasonably good presentation wise (albeit with titles which needed a refresh) but have merged them into something which, visually, is on a par with some BBC regional news operations.

You could probably also make the argument that the BBC regional productions are doing the best they can with very limited resources and hand me down kit (those that haven't yet been refreshed), and there's no excuse for that to be the case for what is meant to be the flagship operation!
[-] The following 1 user Likes i.h's post:
  • CATV

(05-06-2023, 08:54 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Why the heck would people working in the gallery have BBC News written on the same titles for Focus on Africa twice.

I sincerely hope that error with the titles was a one off. The execution of that presentation for that programme's first airing of it's new look is just comically bad.

The previous titles and music for it were much better.

The BBC News box is generated live via Viz through automation coding and isn't 'burnt in' to the intro like the Chameleon graphics and programme name.

I'd has it a guess that they swapped the title file out on server but forgot to remove a piece of automation code in the process.

Either way, you'd have hoped someone in the gallery would have spotted it in rehearsals?

(05-06-2023, 05:51 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  twitter.com 

The title card also doesn't match the graphics on the screen behind the presenter as the text alignment is different as is the position of the chicken graphic.
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83