BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(09-06-2023, 10:49 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Apparently a consequence of having to reassemble the whole bulletin in less than two hours.

On the News Channel, a funny Zoom gaffe also happened

twitter.com 

I thought the BBC had SkypeTX equipment which means they wouldn’t need to rely on zoom.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

I haven't watched much outside of the 6 and 10 since the restructure, but today I managed to watch about an hours coverage. Editorially, yes it is a compromise, but needs must etc. However, the biggest problem I had with it was the amount of technical problems and silly mistakes even in the short time I watched. It really was like amateur hour. I know that Sky News runs with what is still a much smaller on-air technical team than the BBC, and their output is pretty much spotless 99% of the time. A real shame to see what the BBC News channel has become.

(10-06-2023, 02:01 AM)southern_boy Wrote:  I haven't watched much outside of the 6 and 10 since the restructure, but today I managed to watch about an hours coverage. Editorially, yes it is a compromise, but needs must etc. However, the biggest problem I had with it was the amount of technical problems and silly mistakes even in the short time I watched. It really was like amateur hour. I know that Sky News runs with what is still a much smaller on-air technical team than the BBC, and their output is pretty much spotless 99% of the time. A real shame to see what the BBC News channel has become.
This is why I find it difficult to watch the merged BBC News channel now - any hour you tune in, you're guaranteed to see a gaffe of some sort, whether it's typos on the lower thirds; the redundant static ticker; long, long embarrassing and awkward presenter pauses; presenters and reporters fluffing their lines / not knowing what's happening; wrong title sequences being played out; weird UK opt-outs that, months after launch, they still haven't got right. The list goes on and on. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable for a viewer to watch (unless you take pleasure in seeing BBC News going to ruins).

Any hour you watch Sky News, it's slick, it's professional, you know what you're getting. You know you'll be in safe news hands.

(09-06-2023, 11:33 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  I thought the BBC had SkypeTX equipment which means they wouldn’t need to rely on zoom.

Possibly a consequence of Skype's decline in usage?
[-] The following 4 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Quantum+83

(10-06-2023, 07:23 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  Possibly a consequence of Skype's decline in usage?
Beeb still uses Skype. I was a guest on the channel a few weeks back!
[-] The following 6 users Like Connews's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Michael Wotton, Quantum+83, Reith85, Roger Darthwell

(10-06-2023, 08:07 AM)Boozehound Wrote:  We still have Skype TX, but there are fewer of them left now, so we tend to use Zoom.

And presumably, a benefit of Zoom is that they can get any guest for interview very easily, because people don't need accounts to join Zoom Meeting rooms, alongside it being much simpler to use and less bandwidth-intensive for people who may not have the best internet speed in the world.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SuperSajuuk's post:
  • chrisherald

(10-06-2023, 07:23 AM)bilky asko Wrote:  Possibly a consequence of Skype's decline in usage?

Perhaps, but I'm sure they can politely ask a regular contributor like John Curtis to use Skype in preference to other software. It's not like it's an unknown app/service

[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • chrisherald

(10-06-2023, 04:38 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Perhaps, but I'm sure they can politely ask a regular contributor like John Curtis to use Skype in preference to other software. It's not like it's an unknown app/service

CNN is very good at forcing most/all of their guests, at least on Domestic, to use Cisco Webex for instance.

(10-06-2023, 04:52 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  CNN is very good at forcing most/all of their guests, at least on Domestic, to use Cisco Webex for instance.

And that's something that most people outside of the corporate world wouldn't even have heard of.

A hiccup in cutting in the Travel Show, live broadcasting Trump in Georgia: the BBC News symbol appears twice in the lower thirds (above and below the Breaking headline). Am watching in a German hotel and possibly on the WN feed.

Also, does the BBC need to show his address live, when domestic platforms like CNN didn't?

[Update] Now back to normal Breaking tag, after changing to the usual BBC news black strap.

Another cockup: The Georgia live tag appeared briefly in showing footage of Manchester City fans, acknowledged by the presenter.

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt
[-] The following 5 users Like W. Knight's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Roger Darthwell, xlalonce