BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

The reason for the LIVE alignment anomaly is that the LIVE text is created in the Vision Mixer and the location text is created in the graphics system. I believe this is to enable the location to be recorded into the editing system from a different vision mixer output without the LIVE portion allow future playback in later bulletins.
[-] The following 9 users Like kobuta's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Quantum+83, scottishtv, Stuart, whistlerpro

For perhaps the first time since the merger, between 9am and 1pm there was a proper four hours of UK-only, non-simulcast content on the news channel in the UK. Despite being presented from the single locked off position on the balcony and lacking some of the finesse that the old news channel had, it was a far superior product to what the new, combined channel frequently offers.

There was good rolling coverage of events in Nottingham, with a reporter on the ground anchoring much of the coverage of that story, plus excerpts from two separate Select Committees, PMQs (without taking a single second of Politics Live’s coverage!) and some statements in the House of Commons after too. It wasn’t perfect - apart from a brief sting at the 9am TOTH there were no headlines, titles, breaks for the weather etc, and it felt like they lingered on some of the select committee coverage for a bit too long. But it did feel much more like the news channel of old, and it’s shame that that’s such a rarity.
[-] The following 8 users Like Critique's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, chrisherald, London Lite, Quantum+83, Rolling News, thePineapple, xlalonce

What’s the difference in head count between this morning’s UK opt and what we have been used to with a full news channel team? Would be great if we could have the news channel back at least 9am-10pm Monday to Friday.

(14-06-2023, 01:40 PM)Chud Wrote:  What’s the difference in head count between this morning’s UK opt and what we have been used to with a full news channel team? Would be great if we could have the news channel back at least 9am-10pm Monday to Friday.
I think a 9am to 10pm weekday UK opt is unlikely to happen, given that prior to the merger 7pm onwards was shared programming.

If Breakfast is potentially getting extended that may give from 6am until either 9.30 or 10am as a UK-opt. Additionally, if the News at 1 is extended to an hour that would give 1-2pm as a UK-opt. This would then just require 9.30/10am to 1pm and 2-6pm for staffing shift(s) to provide a UK-opt service for weekday daytimes. I can't see this happening in the near future though, due to budgets and internal politics.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Chud, Quantum+83

Just thought it worth mentioning that Tim Davie appeared before the DCMS Committee yesterday.

Sadly, the mergers of the news channels weren't discussed.
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • chrisherald, Newsroom, Quantum+83

(14-06-2023, 03:59 PM)Worzel Wrote:  Just thought it worth mentioning that Tim Davie appeared before the DCMS Committee yesterday.

Sadly, the mergers of the news channels weren't discussed.

That surprised me also. Was John Nicolson even there? Having skipped through, I can't say I heard him participate?

The was an interesting discussion over the 'interview process' presenters where asked to complete. Apparently some weren't even considered which Tim Davie brushed off as not his department.
[-] The following 4 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Worzel

(14-06-2023, 04:06 PM)Newsroom Wrote:  That surprised me also. Was John Nicolson even there? Having skipped through, I can't say I heard him participate?

The was an interesting discussion over the 'interview process' presenters where asked to complete. Apparently some weren't even considered which Tim Davie brushed off as not his department.
John Nicolson was there, as was Julie Elliot who raised it at their last meeting. They just asked about different things.

The 60 second demos was referring to presenters on BBC Local Radio apparently having to produce them as part of reapplying for their jobs. Most of the session was about the cuts and strikes there.
[-] The following 4 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Newsroom, Quantum+83

In another bizarro editorial decision, the BBC News front page currently has some 'exclusive' North Korea feature given the full-width top-spot major news formatting usually reserved for things like major UK political stories or terrorist attacks. I suppose it is just the logical conclusion of using the app's alert function as a promotional tool and the new channel's obsession with interviews equalling news, but just feels very out of place - it's not even really topical.
[-] The following 4 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, Independent, oscillon, Quantum+83

(14-06-2023, 05:30 PM)DTV Wrote:  In another bizzarro editorial decision, the BBC News front page currently has some 'exclusive' North Korea feature given the full-width major news formatting usually reserved for things like major UK political stories or terrorist attacks. I suppose it is just the logical conclusion of using the app's alert function as a promotional tool, but very odd.
That might be quite interesting. A few days ago I randomly came across a very good documentary about Korea (both parts) on either YouTube or AJE. This is the sort of thing the news channel should be covering as we live on a globe, not just an island.
[-] The following 4 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(14-06-2023, 05:46 PM)Stuart Wrote:  That might be quite interesting. A few days ago I randomly came across a very good documentary about Korea (both parts) on either YouTube or AJE. This is the sort of thing the news channel should be covering as we live on a globe, not just an island.
It doesn't matter if it's interesting - it's not a news story and certainly not the most important thing happening, so it shouldn't be given this kind of billing. While I agree that there is a real place for this kind of original global reporting on the BBC, it isn't here, it's in one of their several current affairs outlets.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, ilsondan15, Independent, LDN, Quantum+83