BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(29-06-2023, 12:33 PM)Affogato Wrote:  Bit late on this one but a reminder that

"Mock-ups/recreations of logos, idents, programme titles/graphics and set designs are not permitted - and that includes discussion of mocks/recreations and posting links to mock/recreation content hosted elsewhere."

A number of posts discussing mocks have been removed from recent pages.

The irony being that actual screen caps of the channel look like a mock someone did in MS Paint in 5 minutes…

I do understand that the ‘new’ channel is designed with mobiles, tablets and browsers in mind over traditional televisions, but their graphics are actually very oppressive on smaller devices. The huge block of red permanently on screen is hugely distracting for no reason, and not particularly user friendly. Sadly this feels like a continuation of what’s happened over the last few years, as more and more graphics in reports and used on screens are designed by journalists based loosely on templates, where a decade ago professionals trained in design would have been involved.

I suspect it shall only get worse - it’s a pretty intrenched, philosophical issue within the corporation now.
[-] The following 10 users Like House's post:
  • AaronLancs, AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jayesyn, Ma76, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(29-06-2023, 12:46 PM)Worzel Wrote:  The problem is sometimes they're in the bizarre situation whereby they're broadcasting Nicky Campbell on the UK feed, which is already an opt out of the Global feed in itself, only to opt out of the already opted-out feed (Nicky Campbell) to go to someone in the clip studio to cover Breaking News or a presser.

Are they trying to break a record for the most opt outs of a channel going on at once? It must be a bit of a headache for those in the various galleries trying to coordinate things.

Does anyone know which gallery handles the Nicky Campbell show?

It's almost as if having a 'core' 9am - 6pm weekday UK News Channel was a good idea!

I imagine for most of next year in the run up to the General Election, the UK feed will be presented from the balcony opt-out position by producers or freelance presenters. So why not just have a core UK daytime output from E and a World simulcast the rest of the time? (Eg. The situation we had in January & February this year) But the BBC being the BBC they had to go full W1A on us and come up with what we have now.
[-] The following 12 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, GMc, ilsondan15, Jayesyn, Ma76, PatrZDZ, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, SlimyTrain, UTVLifer

(29-06-2023, 03:33 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Does the Nicky Campbell feed go out online regardless of if it's on BBC News?

No, from what I can see only the bits of the Nicky Campbell programme that actually air on the news channel end up on iPlayer both live and on demand. The whole programme is of course available in audio form on BBC Sounds.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald

The Nicky Campbell slug has returned today.

[Image: IMG-6304.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users Like Worzel's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, oscillon, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Awful colour scheme, it’s ridiculous, viewers will just turn over to other news outlets.
[-] The following 8 users Like harshy's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, oscillon, Quantum+83, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(30-06-2023, 10:51 AM)Worzel Wrote:  The Nicky Campbell slug has returned today.

[Image: IMG-6304.jpg]

Am I the only one that thinks with this it would be better if the aston in its entirety was in the same colour as the slug?
[-] The following 2 users Like AaronLancs's post:
  • chrisherald, ilsondan15

Unlikely to happen given they are offering minimum info on screen via the graphics nowadays but if they're filling hours with a webcam stream or opt-out based on one story, or even primarily BBC World content, I think introducing an RTE News/Sky Sports News style L-bar offering more detailed summarises of the days top stories.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(30-06-2023, 03:06 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Unlikely to happen given they are offering minimum info on screen via the graphics nowadays but if they're filling hours with a webcam stream or opt-out based on one story, or even primarily BBC World content, I think introducing an RTE News/Sky Sports News style L-bar offering more detailed summarises of the days top stories.

If only they had a website that had…

[*]a headline
[*]A summary 
[*]A relevant image

All they would need to add is a QR code that would take you directly to the full story and just like that you would have a detailed summary that could run on the UK feed.

if they wanted to be fancy they could loop the top story from each region
[-] The following 2 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • chrisherald, ilsondan15

Is it still the rule that the first four paragraphs of BBC News Online articles should be in the Ceefax standard?

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald

Focus on Africa usually the same odd one out has also got these red opaque graphics with the programme strap in bright red.
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • chrisherald