BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(05-07-2023, 07:46 AM)Transmission Wrote:  It seems so, I thought I'd accidentally got rid of it somehow but when I went into the widget menu to put it back, it's not there. Very odd.

Looking at the reviews on the google play store, it's full of complaints about them getting rid of it (mixed in with people complaining about the BBC's "left wing bias", and others saying it's a "Tory mouthpiece" 😋). Makes you wonder why they got rid of it when so many people make use of it, having the widget there is so much easier than having to open the app to see the top headlines.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, Quantum+83, thePineapple, Transmission

(05-07-2023, 09:11 AM)Transmission Wrote:  The signed times are 06:45 to 07:30 and 07:45 to 08:15.

That's utterly stupid. Do they think deaf people are uninterested in sport?
[-] The following 4 users Like what's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, GMc, Quantum+83

(05-07-2023, 09:47 AM)what Wrote:  That's utterly stupid. Do they think deaf people are uninterested in sport?
I understand your point, but I suspect the BBC's counter-argument would be that 100% of their programming also carries subtitles.

I appreciate that the 'live subtitling' has produced many comedy errors in the past (which you obviously wouldn't get from a BSL signer), but I think that's just the nature of the beast.

(05-07-2023, 09:47 AM)what Wrote:  That's utterly stupid. Do they think deaf people are uninterested in sport?
Is there just one signer? They possibly need a break - signing is intensive work and needing regular breaks is normal. The current schedule might be to maximise the signed output with one signer?
[-] The following 5 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • AndrewP, Jayesyn, oscillon, Quantum+83, Stuart

Statement from the Board of Deputies.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 6 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Roger Darthwell, Stuart, thomash79

(05-07-2023, 11:20 AM)Newshound47 Wrote:  Statement from the Board of Deputies.
For context it relates to this exchange earlier today...

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Worzel's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(05-07-2023, 12:26 AM)simon Wrote:  Agreed. It would be interesting to have a daily BBC Verify programme (maybe one hour long) where they go into the main stories of the day, explaining how they know what they know and the analysis that has been carried out. It could potentially have a place on BBC Two.

It would be an interesting watch, help build trust, and be a great resource for journalism students or those who want to get into journalism. It'd also be a pretty unique programme that would fit the BBC's remit perfectly.

Segments from the programme could be used through the day in regular programming or in the national bulletins if they were particularly interesting.
I’ve only just noticed that the “Reality Check” tab has been replaced with BBC Verify. 

The more I see it used the less sense it makes. On the app there are a few stories which have the blue and green BBC verified logo on them and whilst most others don’t. It gives the impression that only those stories with the logo are verified whilst the others aren’t. In the same vein you don’t want BBC verified logos on every story. 

I think they’d have been better building on the “Reality Check” branding. It sums up much better what it’s purpose is, it’s a phrase people often use when they’re wanting to shift through all the noise and get a realistic picture plus it gave the impression that these things were fact checked. Verify feels too much like youre agreeing/confirming without interrogation. Checking givens more of an impression of a more robust process.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 13 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AaronLancs, AndrewP, bkman1990, chris, ilsondan15, James, Jeff, oscillon, Quantum+83, Roger Darthwell, Spencer, UTVLifer, Worzel

(05-07-2023, 04:34 PM)Worzel Wrote:  For context it relates to this exchange earlier today...

twitter.com 

I notice Anjana Gadgil (who is a prominent presenter/reporter on South Today, as well as appearing on the News Channel) seems to have deleted, or hidden, her Twitter page. I hope she's OK.
[-] The following 5 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, Hadrien, House, Quantum+83, thePineapple

Why all the background noise on the News Channel? Is this real or canned chatter? Is this just the UK feed? I get that it might be the sound of a busy newsroom but it threatens to distract from the presentation. It’s mysteriously disappeared now we are back in the main studio with Ben Thompson at 2pm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound's post:
  • harshy

There is a BBC News Special on the night of Thursday 20 July to cover the Uxbridge and South Ruislip and Selby and Ainsty by-election results, from 12:05am to 4am.
[-] The following 8 users Like dvboy's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, RhysJR, UTVLifer