BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(28-07-2023, 08:32 PM)Chud Wrote:  What does the autocue operator do when they aren’t operating it for the nationals?

One would suggest they operate it during the rehearsals of the nationals.

Then there is WBR which is still done by the catwalk and apparently the business presenters do not operate the autocue themselves. UPD. No, WBR presenters seem to operate it with a remote, by themselves as well. Makes you wonder if News Channel presenters could do that on the catwalk as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • Chud, Quantum+83

(28-07-2023, 08:37 PM)oscillon Wrote:  One would suggest they operate it during the rehearsals of the nationals.

Then there is WBR which is still done by the catwalk and apparently the business presenters do not operate the autocue themselves. UPD. No, WBR presenters seem to operate it with a remote, by themselves as well. Makes you wonder if News Channel presenters could do that on the catwalk as well.

Samantha Simmonds did it on the catwalk this week when she did a 5:30am edition of WBR and seemed comfortable enough. 

I guess it also depends if they can afford to pay someone to put graphics up on the catwalk screens these days, which probably explains why they stay the same generic graphics during the opening shot of News Now, Verified Live and The Daily Global.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald, Quantum+83

I've seen Victoria Valentine use a remote to operate the autocue. Sometimes you'll see it on the desk.

Sportsday now uses an autocue remote too~ They're using the Autoscript WSC-A Handheld Scroll Controller which has a very long antenna sticking out at the tail, like a walkie talkie:
[Image: 3a77ed6d394e7dea19d53914cb282095.png]
[Image: d205819c050ade2b4b6514129352d399.png]
[-] The following 7 users Like ALV's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, London Lite, oscillon, Quantum+83, Stuart

As much as AI taking jobs isn't a good thing although it would undoubtedly go wrong from time to time surely there is a way of the autocue keeping up with the newsreader rather than vice versa.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

(29-07-2023, 08:38 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  As much as AI taking jobs isn't a good thing although it would undoubtedly go wrong from time to time surely there is a way of the autocue keeping up with the newsreader rather than vice versa.

Indeed there is voice controlled prompting available 

www.autoscript.tv 

A few others as well where the software provides the "speed" in place of a controller to third party prompting kit
[-] The following 8 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, oscillon, Quantum+83, SlimyTrain, UTVLifer

(29-07-2023, 02:17 AM)ALV Wrote:  Sportsday now uses an autocue remote too~ They're using the Autoscript WSC-A Handheld Scroll Controller which has a very long antenna sticking out at the tail, like a walkie talkie:
[Image: 3a77ed6d394e7dea19d53914cb282095.png]
[Image: d205819c050ade2b4b6514129352d399.png]

Quite weird for her to hold what is essentially a walkie talkie to control the autocue - people may be thinking "what is she holding?". I'd prefer her use Autoscript Voice.

(29-07-2023, 03:33 PM)TVenthusiasm Wrote:  Quite weird for her to hold what is essentially a walkie talkie to control the autocue - people may be thinking "what is she holding?". I'd prefer her use Autoscript Voice.

They've used this type of control at the BBC Sport Centre for a very long time. Not sure if they implemented it from day one of launching in Salford or later on but its use is certainly not new.
[-] The following 3 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83

Given how small a lot of wireless technology is these days, they strike me as surprisingly large and bulky. Having an aerial on it like that seems very like a 90s mobile phone.
[-] The following 6 users Like Spencer's post:
  • andres, AndrewP, bkman1990, chaose, Quantum+83, Steve in Pudsey

(29-07-2023, 09:41 PM)m_in_m Wrote:  They've used this type of control at the BBC Sport Centre for a very long time. Not sure if they implemented it from day one of launching in Salford or later on but its use is certainly not new.

I can remember when I started seeing BBC Sport using this on Sportsday, it was around about the rebrand in 2016/2017 [yellow, blue and white colours]. They might've been using it earlier than that though, but thats definitely when I saw the remotes myself.
[-] The following 5 users Like SuperSajuuk's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Quantum+83, UTVLifer