BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(21-08-2023, 12:50 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I'm guessing there's a delay on the video feed so they can keep cutting it out when the judge says something personally identifiable. We're barely hearing any of it as a result.

Quite surprised they're broadcasting the sentencing live considering they have to keep cutting away due to privacy injunctions in place. Would make more sense just to release the footage after. That said I don't think the sentencing being filmed adds anything to the process.

I get why in theory they're showing live what they can but it just highlights how in practice a reporter summing up the sentence after makes for a smoother broadcast.

And we talked about audio on OBs the other day and going from the quiet of the court to the noise, possibly from nearby roadworks, of outside the court, is really jarring for such a sensitive story.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald

That is the downside of showing live sentencing in cases where the sentencing involves victims whose identities are protected.

Also CNN have given it the push notification treatment on their app so it’s being seen as world news but unlike all British news sources it’s headline British Nurse is sentenced rather than Lucy Letby is sentenced so it’s not seen as if readers will know the case by name.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newshound47's post:
  • AndrewP, thePineapple

(21-08-2023, 01:01 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  That is the downside of showing live sentencing in cases where the sentencing involves victims whose identities are protected.
Of course, and we would expect no different.

However, the pres was varied on different channels. I switched to GBNews because it had fewer pop-ups referring people to online sources. It just appeared better on screen.

I want to say that I still found the whole thing very upsetting to watch because of some details.

Very much disagree about sentencing being televised not adding anything.

I thought the judge's sentencing remarks, delivered so matter of factly and starkly following what sound like the most horrendous victims' statements, were incredibly powerful - and much more powerful for being seen than just read.
[-] The following 4 users Like steve's post:
  • AndrewP, Bungo Bill, scottishtv, Spencer

(21-08-2023, 12:52 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  We know how CC operates - gimmicks like the studio B droid cameras and VR newsroom hoops over thoughtful, considered design.

It's actually quite interesting how on France 2 they are actually moving away from their cathedral size studio into something more cozy. Studio B looks quite clinical to me, whereas E feels a lot warmer.

I wouldn't mind if they redid studio E in the same style as it is now, but with all new tech.

Add in a Studio B style catwalk and change the desk, but keep the Furious instead of the Daleks.
[-] The following 4 users Like Marcell's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Roger Darthwell, xlalonce

(21-08-2023, 02:29 PM)steve Wrote:  Very much disagree about sentencing being televised not adding anything.

I thought the judge's sentencing remarks, delivered so matter of factly and starkly following what sound like the most horrendous victims' statements, were incredibly powerful - and much more powerful for being seen than just read.

I think judges remarks are fine to show but it is risky airing it live if protected information is going to be mentioned as part of their statement as someday an error is bound to made and protected information accidentally broadcast.

(21-08-2023, 12:52 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  We know how CC operates - gimmicks like the studio B droid cameras and VR newsroom hoops over thoughtful, considered design.
To be fair to him, I'm not sure what choice he really had over having to have the VR hoop.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lepeterrr's post:
  • chrisherald

(20-08-2023, 11:31 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Ludicrous decision - bad enough on the UK feed but World is just dumb. 

Ditching Outside Source was a real mistake - it was a show that sat comfortably on World and UK and was really building momentum.  Ros Atkins may have a new role but it seems to be now largely off screen just creating the clips that were previously lifted from the live broadcast.

I really don't get why they scrapped it. I don't see a single Ros Atkins explainer on my feed whilst in the latter years of OS, I'd see it being shared and eventually get retweeted to my feed despite not following anyone at BBC News or BBC News itself. What a massive shame.
[-] The following 9 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, Marcell, Quantum+83, Stuart, UTVLifer

(21-08-2023, 03:57 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I really don't get why they scrapped it. I don't see a single Ros Atkins explainer on my feed whilst in the latter years of OS, I'd see it being shared and eventually get retweeted to my feed despite not following anyone at BBC News or BBC News itself. What a massive shame.

Yes, seemed bizarre from the start that a format and presenter (OS/Ros) that was known to both domestic and world audiences would be scrapped when merging the services. 

You’re absolutely right about the explainers - I haven’t seen one in ages, despite them popping up frequently not too long ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LargelyALurker's post:
  • chrisherald

Nothing really makes sense. They axe the popular formats and things that worked well for years, if not decades and bring in stuff no one asked for.
[-] The following 5 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, ilsondan15, Quantum+83