BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(23-08-2023, 08:16 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Yet another new presenter on BBC News right now……….I’m honestly struggling to keep up!

Especially since I’m the BBC News RosterDoctor. I have no clue what’s going on.

And that’s not a good thing, BBC News.

I know it's been discussed on here but can someone explain why it isn't apparently possible for them to bring back the likes of Martine Croxall to do a shift now and again, and are making use of all these unfamiliar faces instead? Is it a contractual dispute?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reith85's post:
  • AJB39

(23-08-2023, 08:16 AM)JamesWorldNews Wrote:  Yet another new presenter on BBC News right now……….I’m honestly struggling to keep up!

As long as the presenter is capable, I honestly don't care who they are.
[-] The following 3 users Like Marcell's post:
  • Boozehound, Joe, Stuart

The trouble is not all of them are - only one new face has really stood out to me in recent months as someone who meets the threshold.

And talking of poor presenters I see The Catch Up on BBC3 is still absolutely dire. Caught it before the athletics on Monday and it's somehow got even worse. I just don't get the purpose of it.
[-] The following 11 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, GMc, Jayesyn, Pips2022, Quantum+83, Rolling News, SlimyTrain, SuperSajuuk, UTVLifer

(23-08-2023, 09:43 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  The trouble is not all of them are - only one new face has really stood out to me in recent months as someone who meets the threshold.

And talking of poor presenters I see The Catch Up on BBC3 is still absolutely dire.  Caught it before the athletics on Monday and it's somehow got even worse.  I just don't get the purpose of it.

I do absolutely agree that if they are not up to scratch then they shouldn't be there.

Especially when there are presenters on the payroll who have been sent on "extended gardening leave"

Not sure if they're running it on TV but see online the obsession of BBC News with Andrew Tate continues - very questionably splashed as their top story even though they admit in their own article they can't verify the claims they're making. And of course if such a trial was happening in the UK they'd likely not report such detail at all.

Is really sad though they're basically publishing tabloid trash because they're so desperate to appeal to the TikTok generation.
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Gary Baldy, ginnyfan, Marcell, msim, Quantum+83

I still think having a familiar, trusted face delivering the news is important and helps build a news service’s reputation.

Anecdotally, my husband, who isn’t a pres geek at all, the other day commented that he’d ‘given up’ on the BBC News Channel. One of the reasons being every time he switched on there’d be someone he’d never seen before reading the news.

I appreciate we’re all different, and some might not care who’s presenting, but the current ‘any Tom, Dick or Harry’ approach doesn’t suggest the BBC is putting its best presenters on air to front the channel. It just makes it feel like they don’t care, and anyone will do.
[-] The following 11 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, Brekkie, GMc, Marcell, Nige, Quantum+83, SuperSajuuk, TJTSW

(23-08-2023, 09:43 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  The trouble is not all of them are - only one new face has really stood out to me in recent months as someone who meets the threshold.

And talking of poor presenters I see The Catch Up on BBC3 is still absolutely dire.  Caught it before the athletics on Monday and it's somehow got even worse.  I just don't get the purpose of it.

The Catch Up feels like a poor watered down version of Newsround, which I actually think has more effort put into it and has a longer runtime at 8 minutes than The Catch Up's mere two. 60 Seconds on an average night by comparison often rounded up to about 6 minutes counting all the hourly editions.

I despite how it treats only one story as main and sidelines the rest as "other news".
[-] The following 5 users Like ACTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, GeeTeeKay474, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

The "other news" the other night was 10 seconds of cats roaming around a house. Leave that sort of thing to YouTube.

60 Seconds was much more informative.
[-] The following 7 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, bkman1990, GeeTeeKay474, Marcell, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

Not really “new” - it was Tanya Beckett, although she may not have been on the channel in its current incarnation.

As for The Catch Up, that seemingly is rota’d with just about anyone who wants to have a go - and it speaks to a much wider trend through the broadcast industry at the moment, particularly content aimed at young people. There is seemingly this accepted idea that to appeal to Gen Z, this content should be hosted by people whose style is “rough round the edges” as it’s more authentic. The problem is, it’s also sh*t.
[-] The following 10 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, chrisherald, Marcell, Nige, PWD, Quantum+83, UTVLifer

It was Middle East correspondent Anna Foster on the 7-9 shift this morning.
[-] The following 4 users Like michaelb's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, JamesWorldNews, oscillon