BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

How long has the flipper been working again? I still think a ticket is so much more useful as with the flipper you’ve only got a small amount of space. That red lower thirds is so annoying. 

I apologise and the rest of this is a moan! 

The app does my head in. It used to be the first thing I’d use each morning. The other day I realised I hadn’t done this for some time. I cant believe that this GB News thing has got a live page. Absolutely ridiculous. 

It really does feel like they are going out of their way to destroy their reputation. 

Did BBC world go into rolling News mode or did it general style more in bulletin mode and mention breaking news? 

I only ask as the last few times I’ve turned on the channel because I want to find out about a breaking story, its either hardlunbeen mentioned or the coverage is awful. 

Maybe it rose tinted glasses but in the old news channel days it felt like those presenting were much smoother in rolling news mode. Yes not as polished as when in bulletin mode but it still flowed, there was none of this disjointed  rambling and stream of  consciousness. The last few times I’ve watched some breaking news its been painful. It honestly feels rambling and a stream of consciousness. I caught Matthew the other day and it awful. He spent more time saying “er” and “um”. I have to say when he was on news 24 I thought he was good but since the merger I struggle to watch him. 

Finally moan why on earth at then start of bbc news now do they say 3 hours of fast moving news. If this is fast I’d dread to see them go slow! 

Here endth the rant!

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 4 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy, what

(28-09-2023, 09:16 PM)NickyS Wrote:  And on the app notifications don't forget the new BBC News app let's you choose which ones you get now. So you maybe set up to get them all which not only includes Breaking News but also Top Stories and others. Check your settings

Or just turn them off completely.   Ultimately nobody needs them - choose when you consume the news rather than letting the news consume you.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, JamieD

For the second day in a row the BBC News at Six had a very odd camera adjustment at the top of the programme after the headlines. Sophie on both days was sat at the desk and the camera needed to adjust up awkwardly at the end of the move to frame Sophie correctly.
[-] The following 4 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • AndrewP, bax, chrisherald, oscillon

Given the supposed significance of the by-election in Rutherglen and Hamilton West next Thursday, you'd think there would be a special results program on network BBC One and the NC in the UK.

Currently listings are just showing a BBC Scotland News special on BBC 1 Scotland on Thursday night 23:40 - 02:00, Newscast and a NC simulcast on network BBC 1 and the usual schedule for the NC.
Surely the UK NC and network BBC 1 should be taking the Scotland results program? On the current schedule, viewers tuning into the NC expecting results coverage will end up getting Newsday, Asia Business Report & Sportsday. Another win for Sky News.

(29-09-2023, 07:53 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Given the supposed significance of the by-election in Rutherglen and Hamilton West next Thursday, you'd think there would be a special results program on network BBC One and the NC in the UK.
I tend to agree, as this is a Westminster seat and something of a litmus test on the new First Minister of Scotland.

Anyone with Sky/Freesat can view BBC Scotland, but DTT is limited to Scotland/Borders.

I would expect the schedule to change so that at least the UK feed of NC is broadcasting the BBC Scotland programme. After all, you've got a 'UK-opt' that you're already producing, so no extra cost.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Radio_man

I don't think it's unusual for variations to the normal schedule not to be added till late in the day so suspect they'll add the BBC Scotland programme next week. Nothing specific on Sky News yet either.

Ultimately however important the by-election is deemed to be the numbers watching live for a 5 minute vote announcement within a 2-3 hour programme airing overnight is going to be relatively small. It'll be coverage the following day where most viewers learn about it and it's for this sort of thing losing the UK feed in daytime hurts both versions of the channel.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, LargelyALurker

(29-09-2023, 09:27 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Ultimately however important the by-election is deemed to be the numbers watching live for a 5 minute vote announcement within a 2-3 hour programme airing overnight is going to be relatively small.  It'll be coverage the following day where most viewers learn about it and it's for this sort of thing losing the UK feed in daytime hurts both versions of the channel.
Yes, low viewer numbers overnight, but it racks up their UK contribution towards domestic news broadcasts.

However, I think I'd also prefer they give it prominence on BBC One/Two overnight.

(29-09-2023, 10:26 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Yes, low viewer numbers overnight, but it racks up their UK contribution towards domestic news broadcasts.

However, I think I'd also prefer they give it prominence on BBC One/Two overnight.
Network BBC 1 is in simulcast with the NC from 00:15 on that night anyway, so if the UK NC feed does take the BBC Scotland news special then it'll be going out on network BBC 1 as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

Katya Adler is doing the BBC One bulletins this evening.
[-] The following 7 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, interestednovice, oscillon, Reith85, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(30-09-2023, 05:17 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  Katya Adler is doing the BBC One bulletins this evening.

She needs to stop waving her hands around.
[-] The following 11 users Like Alf Stewart's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, chrisherald, denton, GMc, Gordonthegopher, interestednovice, MLehon, Rolling News, Superman1986, UTVLifer