BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(04-11-2023, 05:51 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  They seem to be determined to run that BBC News music to the ground and make absolutely everyone hate it. That's the only explanation for the fact it's used for everything, including weekend shows, now.
I expect there are monetary reasons. While I'm not sure of the arrangements that the BBC have with David Lowe, regardless of what they are, it'll be cheaper to use existing music than to commission new stuff. Though such costs aren't likely to be huge, I do wonder if the experimental nature of the new channel's budget has meant certain expenditures have been delayed until after the first year to see how much wriggle room there is in it.
[-] The following 6 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(04-11-2023, 07:01 PM)DTV Wrote:  I expect there are monetary reasons. While I'm not sure of the arrangements that the BBC have with David Lowe, regardless of what they are, it'll be cheaper to use existing music than to commission new stuff. Though such costs aren't likely to be huge, I do wonder if the experimental nature of the new channel's budget has meant certain expenditures have been delayed until after the first year to see how much wriggle room there is in it.
There have been so many variations of the standard David Lowe theme over the past 24 years. I’m sure they could re-use themes from strands that are no longer running for current programmes. Very few would notice, and it’d provide a bit of much needed variety.

(04-11-2023, 03:49 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  www.youtube.com 

David Lowe's music doesn't even correspond with the visuals in the slightest in this. I'm nit-picking but the alignment of the 'Future' and 'Earth' could have sat better with where the split circle comes to rest. And it's already been said but the way they didn't remove the lower thirds, hence masking the 'News' bit of the title card was sloppy - but very, very typical of the merged channel's lowered standards.
[-] The following 6 users Like Reith85's post:
  • AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, ilsondan15, interestednovice, Spencer

Since they are so desperate, why not just bring back the amazing red/cream era. Now that would be one awesome cost cutting measure.
[-] The following 8 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, News76, Reith85, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(04-11-2023, 11:01 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Since they are so desperate, why not just bring back the amazing red/cream era. Now that would be one awesome cost cutting measure.
They’d have to go back as far as the Chinese lantern era if they were to find anything more basic looking than most of the current title sequences.
[-] The following 6 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, JamesWorldNews, Reith85, woodnorton

(04-11-2023, 10:11 PM)Reith85 Wrote:  David Lowe's music doesn't even correspond with the visuals in the slightest in this. I'm nit-picking but the alignment of the 'Future' and 'Earth' could have sat better with where the split circle comes to rest. And it's already been said but the way they didn't remove the lower thirds, hence masking the 'News' bit of the title card was sloppy - but very, very typical of the merged channel's lowered standards.

True, the intro went slightly wrong too as the presenter’s mic was left up during the sting and we heard some quite loud paper shuffling. Quite often now, UK NC and global feed NC get the same back half hour programmes at weekends, I think (although sometimes different edits with sponsorships removed) so why do they persist with global feed viewers having continuity and UK viewers getting the strange *goodbye, hello again* sting with the presenter you’ve just left saying “Now on BBC News, X programme”. They don’t even bother to say anything like “I’ll be back with more news in half an hour, but first here’s X programme”. It feels really staid and totally low-energy. Why not have the presenter introduce items across both feeds if they are the same and drop the continuity announcement and sting? Or give everyone the same continuity announcement (I realise they can’t because Red Bee don’t do the UK feed, but that’s almost a separate technical point).

Anyway, the Washington studio looks nice and it is a bit of a reminder of the old days when back-half hours sometimes came from other places around the world (like Talking Business in Singapore). I actually like the titles compared to other recent efforts, but as others have said that is not saying too much. At least they aren’t a block of red.

Carl has also dressed a bit less formally than usual, on-theme with the dark green trousers and a casual but still neutral shirt. I like it!
[-] The following 6 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, LDN, Reith85, thePineapple, UTVLifer

They went to the effort of using AR for the broken hoop in the "World's Newsroom" shots, but forgot to insert some AR staff into what now looks like an abandoned Call Centre. Confused

[-] The following 8 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bax, chrisherald, interestednovice, LDN, Rolling News, UTVLifer

(05-11-2023, 02:38 AM)Stuart Wrote:  They went to the effort of using AR for the broken hoop in the "World's Newsroom" shots, but forgot to insert some AR staff into what now looks like an abandoned Call Centre. Confused

Don’t think they will ever fix that hoop, it’s been broken for years now.
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • Reith85, Stuart, UTVLifer

(05-11-2023, 03:03 AM)harshy Wrote:  Don’t think they will ever fix that hoop, it’s been broken for years now.

They are going to fix it when the newsroom is refreshed. For some reason to fix it apparently it has to be taken down to the ground and it’s a major work as half of the newsroom will need to be cleared, all of the staff and equipment would have to be moved. So you can understand why they want to do it all at once. But yeah it is the subject of ridicule. I wouldn’t be surprised if they just threw it in a skip!
[-] The following 4 users Like Former Member 237's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

Would look less dire if they just switched it off. Such a sorry state of affairs.
[-] The following 7 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AIB01WB, AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, Former Member 237, Stuart, UTVLifer