BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(30-12-2023, 05:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  No, we just get on with it and judge the level of potential danger by the number of pictures of a wheelie bin on its side posted on Facebook. Wink

Generally we can tell if it's wet and windy by looking out the window. It really would infuriate viewers hunkered down at home if half the programme they were watching was obscured by a graphic telling them its raining.
Guess that’s different we have more severe weather. Additionally weather is considered the most important part of the newscast and breaking in for tornadoes is basically kind of mandatory if staffed (one time there wasn’t a meteorologist but a producer was there manipulating the maps as the meteorologist narrated on screen). Is kind of part of the stations public service.

Severe weather drive the news. That’s why you see top of the line radars or radar networks, sometimes a separate weather set and different types of software to present the weather.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rkolsen's post:
  • chrisherald

Looks like it’s out of use now and presumably getting a refurb:

x.com 

(30-12-2023, 08:51 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Looks like it’s out of use now and presumably getting a refurb:

x.com 

Really hoping that Studio E's refurb can get the the channel going again, start using all the camera angles they once could

I'm allowed to have one high hope per year I hope I've saved it well
[-] The following 12 users Like arbrax's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, ginnyfan, harshy, Jayesyn, Quantum+83, Reith85, Rolling News, Superman1986, thePineapple, Universal_r, UTVLifer

(30-12-2023, 08:51 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Looks like it’s out of use now and presumably getting a refurb:

x.com 

It’s been a great studio with a beautiful backdrop of the real newsroom I’m sure it will be back even better :-)
[-] The following 6 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Quantum+83, Rolling News, TJTSW, UTVLifer

(30-12-2023, 10:19 PM)arbrax Wrote:  Really hoping that Studio E's refurb can get the the channel going again, start using all the camera angles they once could

Studio C really does have the vibe of a temporary arrangement, everything crossed the NC moves to E once it's back in service to inject some dynamism into the presentation
[-] The following 4 users Like janewaysbun's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, chrisherald, Rolling News

(30-12-2023, 10:19 PM)arbrax Wrote:  Really hoping that Studio E's refurb can get the the channel going again, start using all the camera angles they once could

If the News Channel does end up moving into E I really hope they at least have the chief presenters doing some stand up presentation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • chrisherald

It doesn't even need that huge a revamp - replacing the catwalk screens with a single curved screen similar to Studio B/Breakfast and then a vertical screen positioned behind the desk (which I guess itself would be changed, but they don't necessarily need to) would somewhat tick the box along with toning down the red and going for more greys and whites I guess.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(30-12-2023, 11:34 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It doesn't even need that huge a revamp - replacing the catwalk screens with a single curved screen similar to Studio B/Breakfast and then a vertical screen positioned behind the desk (which I guess itself would be changed, but they don't necessarily need to) would somewhat tick the box along with toning down the red and going for more greys and whites I guess.
But, as I think was discussed previously, a 'half-revamp' doesn't really make any sense. Firstly, most of the cost of a modern news set is in the screens, so replacing the screens and nothing else is already a significant investment - might as well finish the job, especially considering every other BBC News set will now be in that style. Secondly, things like LED tiles only come in specific sizes, so there's no guarantee that a new videowall will fit exactly in the space of the old catwalk screens - creating either a gap or an overhang, which will look a bit bodged.

And, perhaps most crucially, not replacing 11-year-old fittings when you have the chance is a massive hostage to fortune. Finding replacement parts will get harder with each passing year, with certain features - like the curved LED panel on front of the desk rostrum - almost impossible to replace like-for-like. Installing new elements on top of a set that it already a decade old is just asking for trouble. Ultimately, given how long the new sets (primarily the LED elements) are expected to last, it makes more sense (including financially) to go for a completely new set than 'upgrade' one whose natural life has expired anyway.
[-] The following 8 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, LDN, SlimyTrain, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

The BBC NC is doing TOTH fireworks from Auckland & Sydney (so far).

Another new face presenting on the channel too, Meghan Owen, who is usually a reporter (both at the newsroom touchscreens and on location). It’s possible they are now appointing more presenter-reporter roles, or perhaps Meghan is just filling in?
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald

BBC News still counted down to the top of the hour and went live straight to Sydney for the New Year. I believe previously the presenter went live at :59 to introduce the hour before the fireworks started. Presented this hour by Meghan Owen - not seen this presenter before.

In other news, great to see Lauren Taylor again this time doing BBC One News at 1pm
[-] The following 3 users Like harryb's post:
  • chrisherald, Reith85, UTVLifer