BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(02-01-2024, 11:58 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  I personally always thought it looked a bit funky, but the concept does seem quite interesting (to me)
Although at its core it's essentially a glorified version of the old graphics over the shoulder before 2003.

What's stopping them from using the screens? It could be like a mini Barco

I think the over the shoulder graphic idea came from the old bbc world news branded programmes and has still stuck around for Newsday and I think the Context as well. I remember when Impact tried it for tweets I think it was quickly dropped.
[-] The following 4 users Like harshy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, interestednovice, LDN

(03-01-2024, 11:21 AM)Moz Wrote:  It would be better if they installed a tower instead of the circle graphic to match with the rest of BBC News.

And they should fix the lower thirds!! Having such an unprofessional-looking bodge front and centre doesn't help programs from Singapore at all in my opinion.
I understand that there are technical constraints but it can't be *that* hard.
[-] The following 6 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, LDN, Quantum+83, Rolling News

(03-01-2024, 07:39 PM)thePineapple Wrote:  And they should fix the lower thirds!! Having such an unprofessional-looking bodge front and centre doesn't help programs from Singapore at all in my opinion.

There was nothing wrong with the L3s before the merger (they were nice and transparent, and more importantly, informative) and I don’t get what they were trying to achieve with the changes they made other than the Gen Z’s working behind the scenes being able to say “Look what we can do!!”.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • interestednovice, LDN

(03-01-2024, 07:58 PM)Rolling News Wrote:  There was nothing wrong with the L3s before the merger (they were nice and transparent, and more importantly, informative) and I don’t get what they were trying to achieve with the changes they made other than the Gen Z’s working behind the scenes being able to say “Look what we can do!!”.

We all know C Cook isn’t gen z…
[-] The following 5 users Like kookaburra's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Quantum+83, Rolling News

(03-01-2024, 07:39 PM)thePineapple Wrote:  And they should fix the lower thirds!! Having such an unprofessional-looking bodge front and centre doesn't help programs from Singapore at all in my opinion.

99.999% of viewers won’t think there’s anything different to normal…
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • London Lite

(03-01-2024, 08:31 PM)kookaburra Wrote:  We all know C Cook isn’t gen z…

I kind of used to those big red graphics Big Grin I think they just need to put the contextual line back so the only difference is that it’s red.

(03-01-2024, 08:46 PM)harshy Wrote:  I kind of used to those big red graphics Big Grin I think they just need to put the contextual line back so the only difference is that it’s red.

Can't say I have yet - still every time I walk past a screen showing the channel I whip my head around thinking there's important breaking news...

(03-01-2024, 09:08 PM)Transmission Wrote:  Can't say I have yet - still every time I walk past a screen showing the channel I whip my head around thinking there's important breaking news...

I think they do need to redesign the lower thirds to suit the chameleon branding not sure how they would do it though and if there’s even a budget.
[-] The following 2 users Like harshy's post:
  • chrisherald, what

A look back on a year's worth of mishaps on BBC News in 2023 Big Grin

m.youtube.com 
[-] The following 8 users Like Rolling News's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy, interestednovice, matthieu1221, Michael Wotton, Reith85, Roger Darthwell

The Newsday one was interesting, showing that Newsday London “still exists” in the automation (even using the older “swirls” graphics variation that Newsday used to use).

It prompts a question in my mind: what is the procedure for if Washington or Singapore face serious technical issues? In the past, there was always at least a standby presenter (and studio) in London for programmes from elsewhere, and the feed does seem to always run through NBH before delivery to Red Bee (global feeds) or output to the UK NC. But do Washington and Singapore now cover for each other, and there is no standby presenter in NBH?
[-] The following 3 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald, Rolling News, UTVLifer