BBC One Pres: 2021 - Present

(09-01-2024, 07:49 PM)SteveRW Wrote:  It's no different to avoiding people shaking charity collection boxes in your face and instead choosing to give a charity that doesn't. Over egging something often is counter productive. So, I do choose to watch what I want. Mainly Netflix and Britbox these days.

Nothing is being over-egged. Don’t be silly.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • IanJRedman, steve

Indeed, nothing is being over-egged - you just need to get to grips that we are in the streaming age. People can watch the programme live on linear, iPlayer or catch up/demand. It's just stating the service.

(09-01-2024, 12:21 PM)SteveRW Wrote:  Your thoughts are echoed by mine. I am watching BBC1 less these days - and deliberately avoiding iPlayer because I don't like being force fed thimgs - because I get the impression that BBC1 doesnt want me to watch it. I know iPlayer exists, as do pretty much everyone now, I'll use it when I miss things I wanted to watch since PVR boxes are less relied on. I don't want to be told what's on iPlayer when I'm tuning in to watch something live.

I get what you mean, but also at the same time I'm afraid you're going to have to suck it up. Streaming is the future of television, and the BBC aren't the only company that is heavily pushing streaming. Have you seen the way ITV promote ITVX?

Generally though for series on ITV1 that us promoted alongside ITVX. I don't think it's a huge ask for series on linear to mention the channel and time (as the current Bad Education promo does) - it takes two seconds.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AJB39, bilky asko, Nige, Nobby

I think anyone who doesn't want to embrace streaming is stuck in the past.
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • London Lite, Rex

(10-01-2024, 02:39 PM)XIII Wrote:  I think anyone who doesn't want to embrace streaming is stuck in the past.

Well some things seem worse on iplayer like world business report it’s got a hard baked flipper at the bottom and a bbc logo on top left.
[-] The following 3 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, ethanjbrady, interestednovice

(10-01-2024, 02:39 PM)XIII Wrote:  I think anyone who doesn't want to embrace streaming is stuck in the past.

I never said that I don't want to embrace streaming. My point is, if I was streaming something, I wouldn't actually be watching BBC1 would I? I'd already have made the choice to stream. So when I watch BBC1, I would like to see BBC1 promoted and not something that I'm not currently watching. It is iPlayer overkill.

(10-01-2024, 04:38 PM)SteveRW Wrote:  I never said that I don't want to embrace streaming. My point is, if I was streaming something, I wouldn't actually be watching BBC1 would I? I'd already have made the choice to stream. So when I watch BBC1, I would like to see BBC1 promoted and not something that I'm not currently watching. It is iPlayer overkill.

Not every ad or promotion can be aimed at you. That's good you use streaming services, but the ads aren't aimed at you then.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stu's post:
  • strollfan

(10-01-2024, 04:23 PM)harshy Wrote:  Well some things seem worse on iplayer like world business report it’s got a hard baked flipper at the bottom and a bbc logo on top left.

This is the most ‘pres cafe’ post ever.
[-] The following 10 users Like chris's post:
  • AJB39, arbrax, BBI45, Cavan, interestednovice, Kunst, Spencer, strollfan, SunburntRock89, turbolazer

As a viewer, I no more embrace streaming than I embrace DTT. It's just a method of delivering programmes.

If someone thinks the iPlayer mentions are overkill, they presumably think they are overkill whether they see them via streaming or via DSAT.

Streaming has it's place, there are upsides and downsides. It will be a sad day if the television industry 100% embraces streaming at the expense of other methods of delivering programmes but that's outside of my control as a viewer.
[-] The following 6 users Like Nobby's post:
  • bilky asko, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, ethanjbrady, TVFan, WillPS