Survivor

(09-02-2024, 11:15 PM)XIII Wrote:  There's no chance they'll do two series of The Traitors per year.
Why not? They can spend the Survivor money on it, it’s got momentum behind it at the moment. Some programmes just have a moment where broadcasters need to capitalise on the success of it. They would also be offering something to the producers to keep them onside.

The semi-stripped nature of the series will also help it not feel like overkill. It’s takes up fewer weeks of the year than something like The Apprentice so feels longer between series.

I think they’d probably do a Comic Relief tie in celeb version if anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie

(09-02-2024, 11:15 PM)XIII Wrote:  There's no chance they'll do two series of The Traitors per year.

Whyever not? It's a smash hit, it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things...

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Brekkie

(09-02-2024, 08:46 PM)WillPS Wrote:  I was very surprised to see it was heading towards a second series. I wonder if Gladiators and The Traitors recent triumphs have cemented Survivor as a failure?

It was already a flop because of it massively underperforming in its slot although I'm not sure an hour of a taxing reality ent format for those who had already watched through Strictly and possibly Picture Slam was the right thing to do. It also didn't scream Saturday night telly. Midweek would have been better but I don't think its numbers would have been enough for a second series anyhow and regardless of slot it was always going to be written off as an I'm A Celeb clone.

Regarding The Traitors, if there is going to be a celeb version then I don't see how there will not be two series per year whether that be two within 12 months or in the same calendar year. The only way would be giving one version a rest. To be honest, I don't think a celeb version is going to rate that well and with the show already having a winner who was a traitor, that aspect of the show has been ticked off as it were.

I agree Claudia quit her R2 show because of The Piano, Strictly, The Traitors and her C4 Quiz taking her away from her family too much. I doubt she'll want to do it.

Also 2 seasons a year clearly makes it less of an event. It certainly happening now with Love Island and when The Apprentice ran alongside the young version.

metro.co.uk 

I suspect Destination X will be ready by Autumn. From the same Executive producer as The Traitors

This is basically a rip off article from a well sourced piece in the Times.

I think they could get away with 2 civilian series a year tbh. It's 3 weeks of content, could be 2 if it needed to be.

We had 2 series of The Apprentice a year for a while and I don't think it was felt to be 'too much'.

chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko

(10-02-2024, 02:29 AM)WillPS Wrote:  I think they could get away with 2 civilian series a year tbh. It's 3 weeks of content, could be 2 if it needed to be.

We had 2 series of The Apprentice a year for a while and I don't think it was felt to be 'too much'.

The Apprentice was 1 series a year and a junior spin off that ran 8 weeks iirc. It clearly affected the ratings at the time. Which is why it was binned.

The same happened in 2004 when ITV ran 2 full runs of I'm Celebrity and even that had an 8/9 month gap.

Love Island is literally at half it's peak now including catch up.

(10-02-2024, 03:59 AM)cando Wrote:  The Apprentice was 1 series a year and a junior spin off that ran 8 weeks iirc. It clearly affected the ratings at the time. Which is why it was binned.

The same happened in 2004 when ITV ran 2 full runs of I'm Celebrity and even that had an 8/9 month gap.

Love Island is literally at half it's peak now including catch up.

I think there’s definitely an argument that the most recent I’m a Celeb’s ratings were damaged slightly by the South Africa series meaning it ran two versions in one year as well. Arguably The Masked Dancer shortened the honeymoon period of the Masked gimmick as well.

Certain shows get away with it more easily than others although they tend to be the ones that aren’t such an ‘event’ in the calendar, e.g. Race Across The World now seems to be doing it. The Voice Kids didn’t seem to hurt the adult Voice either but really The Voice had long stopped being any kind of event by then anyway. Celeb Bake Off is way less popular than the regular version.

I could well see them trying a celebrity version of The Traitors although I doubt it’ll be anywhere near as good as the regular one. It’ll either just be a weaker version or too heavily played for laughs (the latter if done for Comic Relief I expect).

Incidentally it sounds like Destination X isn’t filming until this Autumn, so probably won’t air until early 2025 at the earliest. I wonder if they were hoping to get series 3 of The Traitors on air this Autumn, as it’s filming earlier in the year than series 2? If they were I could see that changing as the January slot worked so well.
[-] The following 3 users Like Score's post:
  • cando, Happy2001, UTVLifer

(09-02-2024, 11:51 PM)WillPS Wrote:  Whyever not? It's a smash hit, it's not that expensive in the grand scheme of things...

I would have thought the main reason is the logistics of doing two series of UK Traitors a year as well as the US one.

Being filmed in Inverness I imagine there's a more limited timescale as to when they can usefully film at the castle. I don't know how long the production takes but could they fit all three into the summer?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • TJTSW

(10-02-2024, 10:51 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I would have thought the main reason is the logistics of doing two series of UK Traitors a year as well as the US one.

Being filmed in Inverness I imagine there's a more limited timescale as to when they can usefully film at the castle. I don't know how long the production takes but could they fit all three into the summer?
It doesn't have to be the summertime, presumably being Britain they have to have a load of contingency on the activities regardless. It doesn't even have to be the same location necessarily.

chatps.com

(10-02-2024, 01:21 PM)WillPS Wrote:  It doesn't have to be the summertime, presumably being Britain they have to have a load of contingency on the activities regardless. It doesn't even have to be the same location necessarily.
I imagine they'd rather film at times of the year when there's less likely to be 50MPH+ winds and/or heavy snow. Whilst I'm sure they have some contingencies as seen with this year's final being indoors, there's only so much that can be adapted or rescheduled.

Going back to the subject of Survivor sometimes programmes are still worth giving a second series, even if the first one wasn't a successful as hoped for Provided it has potential, and there's a willingness to alter parts of it that didn't seem to work.

According to interviews the first radio series of I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue was poorly received by audience, with Humphrey Lyttelton's chairmanship being the only praised aspect. Similarly the first series of Blackadder is notable for how different the roles of Blackadder and Baldrick were portrayed. I seem to recall the first series of Bullseye was a bit different from the subsequent ones.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.