BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(05-03-2024, 04:21 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Not to mention the extensive Phillip Schofield, Holly Willoughby and Gary Lineker coverage
I must admit that being on a plane over the summer from Seoul to Hong Kong watching BBC News basically rolling on the Huw Edwards story did leave me questioning the wisdom of the setup.
[-] The following 2 users Like sigma421's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald

Looks like there’s some kind of rehearsals going on in E. Nothing seems to have changed yet, catwalk screens still the same and same cameras moving around. Looked like the World Today branding on the screens.

Is it known where the UK service is coming from studiowise? Will UK service return to E and world return to C or will it be from the opt out studio? Like to think it would be E but frustrating that at a time when money is short they wasted money on creating them. I do wonder if it will end up not as temporary as they say it is. They’re never going to admit that they made a mistake in doing it. This feels like away of them correcting the mistake without having to admit it was and therefore they save face

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ViridianFan's post:
  • Nige

So bbc world news coming back ?

(05-03-2024, 06:49 PM)ViridianFan Wrote:  Is it known where the UK service is coming from studiowise? Will UK service return to E and world return to C or will it be from the opt out studio? Like to think it would be E but frustrating that at a time when money is short they wasted money on creating them.
I'd have thought the joint/world news service will likely use E when it comes back into use.

Studio C is overdue an upgrade. The question is whether they upgrade this studio, or alternatively build a new set in A which I gather is about the same size. If they opted for the latter then joint/world news would have the option of continuing to use C for the duration.

Either way it would be nice if UK opt-outs could either use a proper studio, or at least 'Britney mics' to cut out the background sound. I'd have thought that D would be available for at least some of the day.

(04-03-2024, 11:19 PM)Leigh Spence Wrote:  Weren’t the “temporary election plans” in the latest Private Eye out last week (No. 1618, page 18)?
Correct, just found the article in question.
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

One might suggest that someone at the Telegraph possibly got around to reading their copy of Private Eye at the weekend.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 16 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, bkman1990, chrisherald, Happy2001, LDN, Ma76, matthieu1221, Nige, Reith85, RhysJR, Rolling News, Rxtx, SlimyTrain, Stuart, thePineapple

(05-03-2024, 07:09 PM)harshy Wrote:  So bbc world news coming back ?
No.

And it makes much more sense this way. BBC World News was always an unhappy compromise between the 2008 rebrand's attempt to prioritise the BBC News brand and maintaining the then familiar and commercially useful BBC World name, but that doesn't matter much any more as BBC World is but a faded memory (if that) for ordinary viewers. Plus, you'd just be back to a situation pre-merger where - because the majority of programming is simulcast - BBC World News actually ends up hours without being namechecked. A single name obviously works better for two channels that share a lot of output.
[-] The following 9 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, harshy, Jayesyn, Jeff, LDN, Ma76, Rolling News

Even if these reports are true and there are plans to bring back a full UK daytime news service, does the BBC even have enough staff for it?

If Karin, Kasia & Martine are put back on air along with Annita & Geeta, that should give them enough experienced presenters, but everyone must remember the many tweets last March & April from staff and producers with decades of experience who were all let go when the final merger happened, most from the UK News Channel operation, but some from World as well.

The BBC can't suddenly replace that lost off air experience so quickly can it?

Btw for anyone keeping tabs on when an election might be, a 2 May election is still a real possibility. Parliament must be dissolved at the absolute latest on 26 March for a 2 May election, so realistically, a GE on 2 May must be called during w/c 18 March.
[-] The following 10 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, chrisherald, Ma76, News76, Quantum+83, Rolling News, Stockland Hillman, UTVLifer

The BBC would probably face a lot of criticism if it ran minimal coverage of the general election campaign during daytime hours on the combined channel.

Politicians are of course most concerned with the parts of BBC output they appear on.

As lot of coverage is of planned events, it should be relatively easy to plan resources in advance.

It was during previous campaigns that the likes of Laura Kuenssberg and Nick Robinson really cut their teeth on News 24.
[-] The following 4 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Ma76, UTVLifer

(05-03-2024, 08:49 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  Even if these reports are true and there are plans to bring back a full UK daytime news service, does the BBC even have enough staff for it?
[[Snip]]
The BBC can't suddenly replace that lost off air experience so quickly can it?
It's worth noting though that the News Channel has had several UK opt-outs with a presenter on the balcony in the past year. Presumably some skeleton crew have had to be available to provide this service. One assumes that these staff may be redeployed for the proper UK daytime service.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Ma76

I always expected that there would be increased daytime coverage during the election - the reporters will be out and about anyway and they'll be plenty of speeches to dip into, plus there are usually some non-leader debates in the day time schedule too. It's probably relatively cheap content of high PSB value at a time of likely increased viewing. It's a no-brainer really and was probably factors into the budget cuts. I suspect there is a budget for election coverage outside the annual budget to.
[-] The following 9 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Jeff, lookoutwales, Ma76, Quantum+83, thePineapple, TVFan, UTVLifer