BBC/ITV Yorkshire and Lincolnshire News

Christine Talbot covered the funeral of YTV chevron designer Rex Ripley for The Yorkshire Post this week.

www.yorkshirepost.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • harshy, Spencer, TVHead

No Look North this morning as apparently the director is unwell - instead we're getting Look North (NE and Cumbria).

Random thought but, thinking back to the days of the Peter ‘Clunk’ Levy self-op in Leeds, with new playout systems would it not be easier today to do. Build the bulletin in Mosart (I know the regions don’t have Mosart, but for example!), simply press F12 to transition through the bulletin, etc. Probably a host of reasons why not, but I’ve wondered for a while!

(25-03-2024, 09:00 AM)steve Wrote:  Random thought but, thinking back to the days of the Peter ‘Clunk’ Levy self-op in Leeds, with new playout systems would it not be easier today to do. Build the bulletin in Mosart (I know the regions don’t have Mosart, but for example!), simply press F12 to transition through the bulletin, etc. Probably a host of reasons why not, but I’ve wondered for a while!

It's fairly common practise in Europe to have off-peak local bullitens self-op or editorial-op, where a non technical producer steps through the automation while the presenter reads.

With Ross Overdrive in BBC regions its possible to run that way, perhaps with simplified opt endings of a weather map hold to the rejoin point to cover timing slips.

Most presenter and producer journalists would have come from local radio self driven news bulletins with a hard end time, so have those skills in timing.

It's outside sources, lives, studio guests and new material to insert in running order that a director is very much needed for -
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stockland Hillman's post:
  • steve

Also it’s really showing up the quality of having proper HD output - such a difference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • harshy

(25-03-2024, 10:21 AM)steve Wrote:  Also it’s really showing up the quality of having proper HD output - such a difference.

Looks really good, benefits from a proper studio setup, nice high ceiling so the lighting is proper, huge amount of space to play with for the cameras, makes quite a difference.

I have to say I think the Leeds studio looks better than it ever has - the lighting and picture quality is much, much better than before and doesn't look a massive step away from HD. Some of the cameras used to look very blurry.

I also prefer the new regional studio design with the lower height - it looks better proportioned, especially when the presenter is seated. With the standard height the screens really do look massive!

How much of the issues before were caused by the Thomson cameras though, Leeds' actually moved with them from Woodhouse Lane having been installed in 2002 to replace their 1645s (which dated from around 1987).

I think they were a particularly ropey camera even when new, but the technology they replaced was so poor or antiquated nobody noticed at the time, it's only as HD stuff has come into circulation, along with upscaling SD images that the issue became a lot worse.

Obviously the new sets necessitated a relight, but well racked newer cameras have probably helped no end. The Thomsons all seemed to be washed out and grainy, and TWs look like they're about to die...

I've not seen any of the PTZ shots from Leeds, but I know Birmingham's seems to output a smushyvision picture now (it used to show a very green tinged filmic framerate and looked decent).

(25-03-2024, 12:06 PM)DrewF Wrote:  I have to say I think the Leeds studio looks better than it ever has - the lighting and picture quality is much, much better than before and doesn't look a massive step away from HD. Some of the cameras used to look very blurry.

I also prefer the new regional studio design with the lower height - it looks better proportioned, especially when the presenter is seated. With the standard height the screens really do look massive!

Hopefully Leeds will be in HD by the end of the year. The Look North from Newcastle has answered my question as to what will happen when Leeds get the refit (ie the bulletins coming from Newcastle whilst the work is being done)

(25-03-2024, 12:06 PM)DrewF Wrote:  I have to say I think the Leeds studio looks better than it ever has - the lighting and picture quality is much, much better than before and doesn't look a massive step away from HD. Some of the cameras used to look very blurry.

The weather map seems to fit the lower height screens better too. I noticed the Newcastle one is quite oddly proportioned with a lot of southern Scotland showing at the top, where it’s out of the presenter’s reach, but places like York not visible at the bottom.

I do agree that Leeds looks the best it ever has in its current studio, although I wish they’d sort out the blue tint to the screens. Maybe when they upgrade to HD there’ll be some recalibration.