Apologies for the brief outages recently. We are aware of an issue and it is being investigated. x

Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

(22-05-2024, 08:11 AM)W. Knight Wrote:  I believe it has been posted pages ago, but this supposably is the designer for Verify, Behind the News and the loathed News Now:
dribbble.com 

In searching this I also found the designer for the updated countdown and chameleon blip:
richsutton.myportfolio.com 

And another for the Instagram layouts:
www.joyroxas.design 

It's a shame they didn't use Rich Sutton for the programme titles. His work is head and shoulders above the basic circles stuff in terms of creativity and professionalism.
[-] The following 5 users Like Spencer's post:
  • AndrewP, chris, chrisherald, Moz, W. Knight

(22-05-2024, 09:49 AM)Spencer Wrote:  It's a shame they didn't use Rich Sutton for the programme titles. His work is head and shoulders above the basic circles stuff in terms of creativity and professionalism.

Agreed - the surrounding channel presentation is quite slick, and you could imagine a set of titles with pictures of the day using his templates.
[-] The following 4 users Like chris's post:
  • AndrewP, Moz, Spencer, W. Knight

(22-05-2024, 09:49 AM)Spencer Wrote:  It's a shame they didn't use Rich Sutton for the programme titles. His work is head and shoulders above the basic circles stuff in terms of creativity and professionalism.

Really hope this comes. Just makes sense. The circle titles don’t fit the channel.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 4 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Spencer

From what I can gather, Rend is in-house in BBC News, whereas Rich Sutton is external and freelance, so there'll be an extra cost if they use Rich.

(22-05-2024, 10:37 AM)Spencer Wrote:  From what I can gather, Rend is in-house in BBC News, whereas Rich Sutton is external and freelance, so there'll be an extra cost if they use Rich.

But why use him for all the other stuff and not the titles.

Martin Lambie-Nairn was freelance. As is David Lowe.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 3 users Like Moz's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, oscillon

Is it fair to say that all their work is just pure Dribbble?

(22-05-2024, 10:55 AM)Moz Wrote:  But why use him for all the other stuff and not the titles.

Martin Lambie-Nairn was freelance. As is David Lowe.

Who knows? Maybe there was money available under the Chamelon rebranding budget for those bits of continuity, but not to update the programme titles.

Sadly it's not 2008 anymore, and the politics of spending lots of money on external designers and branding experts for a wholesale revamp of BBC News' branding probably doesn't sit well when everything else is being cut back.

Whatever the details of the decision, it's almost certainly down to money.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • chrisherald

I probably shouldn’t even say this, but when it comes to the BBC: one minute we are being told there supposedly isn’t money for anything, the next we are seeing a fortune being spent on seemingly-unnecessary things and the justification is that the amounts involved, even if circa ~1 million pounds, are supposedly “small”.

For example, the whole time the famous five were off-air, they were suspended and paid. At the same time, freelancers and reporters were paid overtime or locum pay to keep the wheels rolling on the 24 hour channel. Yet we were told it “wasn’t a lot of money”. Obviously, in the context of every penny counting, it absolutely was, and they should have just had the 5 on air from the very beginning. Launching a new channel has meant some money had been set aside. Personally, I’d rather it had been spent on (for example) a professional graphics package rather than pointless touchscreens in the newsroom; and if money had been really, really tight they could have kept the old BBC NC package. There was no need to launch a messy hybrid look - either do a refresh, or don’t.

BBC budgets are seemingly extremely inflexible and often appear, to the viewer, to make no sense.

Things like this are why people get frustrated with the BBC.

I can't remember what happened with Theresa May in 2017 but seemingly everyone is now reporting on Twitter that Sunak is to step out into Downing Street and call the election today after the Cabinet meeting, presumably they'd interrupt BBC One for it right?
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • chrisherald

The Post Office Inquiry coverage was very quickly cut away from, to Matthew Amroliwala mid-sentence (and some awkwardly overlapping graphics)

Reeta Chakrabarti is fronting a special from Downing Street, replacing The Finish Line.
[-] The following 4 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • chrisherald, Rolling News, TIGHazard, UTVLifer
Thread Closed