(14-03-2023, 02:44 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I wonder if they're just assuming most people don't notice. I rubbished the idea of getting an IPTV service that a family member swears by. When I tried to explain that the video streams are too choppy, I was met with a bemused reaction. I guess it's like when audiophiles try and show you how great FLAC is when you're content with just hearing the song.

The BT Sport app streams at 50fps too, come to think of it. You'd assume sport would be a big reason to push higher frame rates, but as far as I know, Sky Sports only streams at 25fps if you're using Sky Go or anything like that. Not sure if they boost it for Now TV.

You get 50fps on NOW for Sky Sports channels, plus VOD for entertainment and cinema with a £6 boost membership.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • interestednovice

(14-03-2023, 03:26 PM)London Lite Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 02:44 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I wonder if they're just assuming most people don't notice. I rubbished the idea of getting an IPTV service that a family member swears by. When I tried to explain that the video streams are too choppy, I was met with a bemused reaction. I guess it's like when audiophiles try and show you how great FLAC is when you're content with just hearing the song.

The BT Sport app streams at 50fps too, come to think of it. You'd assume sport would be a big reason to push higher frame rates, but as far as I know, Sky Sports only streams at 25fps if you're using Sky Go or anything like that. Not sure if they boost it for Now TV.

You get 50fps on NOW for Sky Sports channels, plus VOD for entertainment and cinema with a £6 boost membership.

Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if the Boost was just better resolution. Are the live entertainment channels still capped at 25fps then?

It is interesting when it'd often treated as if increasing resolution is the be all and end all, I'm sure I remember reading the BBC had a choice if increasing the iPlayer to either 1080p or 50p, and they went with the latter because the trials suggested it gave a bigger perceptible quality increase.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • interestednovice, Kojak, Larry the Loafer

(14-03-2023, 08:46 PM)James2001 Wrote:  It is interesting when it'd often treated as if increasing resolution is the be all and end all, I'm sure I remember reading the BBC had a choice if increasing the iPlayer to either 1080p or 50p, and they went with the latter because the trials suggested it gave a bigger perceptible quality increase.

I don't recall people complaining when Freeview HD started doing 1080p25, I do however remember complaints when they got new coders for BBC hd and dropped the bitrate. 

As seen with the BBC iPlayer app (my Samsung TV even shows the change from 60 to 50 onscreen), the app itself could technically force 50fps over 60fps, which would help apparent jerkiness too, most streaming devices are 60 by default and people seldom changes it. The colourspace of the device can also affect the perceived quality, my xbox seems to change the colours when ITVX loads for some reason - I don't get that on other devices. Netflix, Paramount+ and Disney+ on my Chromecast with Google TV look far superior to the native ITVX app (its certainly HD but the colours are off like the reds are boosted) but if I cast from the ITVX app on my S23 Ultra to the same device and the picture quality is far better (same input, same settings - 1080p SDR).

50fps as standard devices e.g. SkyQ/Sky Stream looks excellent.

Freeview HD only does 1080p25 when the content is natively 25p, though - it dynamically switches between 1080p25 and 1080i50. Whereas ITVX is actively filmising shows that should ideally be 50p video.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76

(14-03-2023, 05:35 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  Ah, okay. Wasn't sure if the Boost was just better resolution. Are the live entertainment channels still capped at 25fps then?

Yes, but for the majority of live streams it looks fine compared to ITVX's filmic look.

(14-03-2023, 11:41 PM)cable Wrote:  
(14-03-2023, 08:46 PM)James2001 Wrote:  It is interesting when it'd often treated as if increasing resolution is the be all and end all, I'm sure I remember reading the BBC had a choice if increasing the iPlayer to either 1080p or 50p, and they went with the latter because the trials suggested it gave a bigger perceptible quality increase.

I don't recall people complaining when Freeview HD started doing 1080p25, I do however remember complaints when they got new coders for BBC hd and dropped the bitrate.

Probably because it switches between 25p and 50i dynamically depending on content (I think it improves the quality of the encode doing it that way rather than treating it as interlaced), so it will only be 25p on content that was actually made that way, it won't be filmising 50i material, unlike the permanent 25p on most streaming services.

Admittedly interlacing is an arse to work with in this day and age, produces a lot of complications and will pretty much always need to find itself de-interlacing somewhere down the line (unless you're still watching on a CRT!), and the quality of deinterlacing can vary wildly (and I've seen terrible examples of deinterlacing to 50/60p as well as 25/30).

UHD is entirely progressive at least... but even that doesn't stop 50/60p content often being converted to 25/30p (though at least you aren't throwing away vertical resolution like with interlacing- which is another one of the major issues with converting 50/60i to 25/30p, no wonder SD content on streaming often looks so poor. Even HD is effectively cut to 540 lines unless you're using complicated algorithms to work out what is and isn't moving between fields and there isn't much motion).

Well, you CAN keep the full resolution when converting to 25/30p... but then you get the so-called "mouse teeth" artifacts- I've seen that happen.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • interestednovice, London Lite, Ma76

(06-03-2023, 10:17 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  It seems Loaded in Paradise is the first ITVX Exclusive to get a linear broadcast. Starts next week on ITV2.

SuperTV247 on Twitter are saying that Loaded In Paradise launched with just 80k on ITV2 yesterday evening.

The show has been up on ITVX since late December, and has been promoted constantly since then. But this does seem to prove once again that the Love Island audience come to ITV2 for Love Island and Love Island alone... means the 800k odd that Love Island was posting isn't "that bad" compared to other stuff ITV2 try.

I know ITV2 is a bit different to the main channel, but this doesn't really bode well for ITV1 airing other X exclusives!
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • London Lite, UTVLifer

Dominos has renewed its sponsorship of ITVX for a further 2 years.

www.lbbonline.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • UTVLifer

(10-03-2023, 03:00 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  There is something I still don't quite get about ITVX Kids, as we know ITVX has many live streaming channels, so I am wondering if ITVX Kids also going to have it's own live streaming channel on ITVX?

Also is there any regulation on providing a seperate portal for childrens content so that viewers looking for a kids FAST channel or content don't stumble on the Love Island or Ibiza Weekender Channel?