BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Present (News Channel/BBC One)

(03-04-2023, 06:20 PM)AJB39 Wrote:  I see the flipper is back working properly on the UK feed but still not working properly on the World feed. Forgive me if I’m asking a question that’s been answered already but does anybody know if the flipper will return on the World feed as well?

Back to just the website address again.

Seems the ticker only works when showing the 1, 6 and 10
[-] The following 1 user Likes Daveuk's post:
  • AJB39

(03-04-2023, 06:32 PM)CG92 Wrote:  I haven’t seen the channel live as yet, but I’m so disappointed with the attempts, or lack of, to unify and update branding.

If that centralised globe exists for a sting, then it can be adapted as an end board! Understand costs as tight but come on…

This is what I don’t understand about the globe and Chameleon mashup. We’ve been told that it’s very much a stop gap and all-new pres is being worked on. OK I can see why we get the bodged 2008 titles. But then they’ve recreated the 2008 globe for use in the sting so it can be central and have Reith city names. 

If the current look is interim why spend the time recreating the globe? And if the answer to that is the globe will be around for a while why not use the recreated globe in the titles?

The whole thing is a mystery.
[-] The following 12 users Like thomalex's post:
  • AverageOrangeTurnip, bkman1990, chevron, chrisherald, freeaxe, ginnyfan, Ittr, Jeff, LDN, Reith85, SomeRandomStuff, UTVLifer

Makes sense Yalda is in European primetime now. Her hour has a lot more interviews and content (John Bolton interview, Former Swedish PM interview, Afghanistan addiction discussion), than previous hours which were mainly rolling/breaking news and repeated packages from earlier in the day.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • AIB01WB, bkman1990, Jeff, oscillon, UTVLifer

You can see the full extent of the space available at Daniel Sandford's post today in this tweet by the presenter of today's OS on the World Service.

twitter.com 

Find me on Twitter: @alfiejmulcahy
[-] The following 6 users Like alfiejmulcahy's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chrisherald, Kojak, matthieu1221, UTVLifer

(03-04-2023, 06:49 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Stepping back to look at editorial again for a moment, the UK optout this afternoon was excruciating - my understanding the 1400 start was to “prove a point” rather than for journalistic reasons, which is why you had poor old Sandford and Easton repeating themselves over and over again before anything actually happened at court.  There was other stuff going on domestically that could have been used as an opportunity to break away - I’m not sure we ever saw Rishi Sunak launching his grooming gang task force outside the 1, and the teacher strike announcement vanished by the time we passed lunchtime.  Clips and packages that had already run once could have been repeated to break up the monotony, but those choices weren’t made.
Starting at 2pm definitely wasn't 'to prove a point.' The sentencing hearing was due to start then, but was delayed because Cashman refused to attend the sentencing and so the whole thing got delayed.

If you had switched over to Sky you would have seen they were in a very similar position (though they only began at 2 after an advert break). I'm not sure they would have done anything different if they had been two split channels. It was painful to watch at times but that happens when covering live events which don't always go exactly as planned.
[-] The following 3 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, Reith85

(03-04-2023, 06:26 PM)Chud Wrote:  If this is the new schedule then we will get used to it, but it would be nice if they could increase the head count by 1 so we get the 9-12 shift filled with a presenter rather than the phone in. Or just air world feed.

But don't you realise - broadcasting a radio phone-in on a TV news channel constitutes 2 hours of "premium, UK facing programming" (Paul Royall, 31 March 2023)
[-] The following 9 users Like Radio_man's post:
  • ALV, AverageOrangeTurnip, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, Chud, ginnyfan, harshy, Josh, matthieu1221

I’ve not seen any of it live, but it’s everyone’s worst nightmares come true in what looks like an awful mish mash of old and new an absolute mess.

How many weeks have they been rehearsing again?
[-] The following 7 users Like harshy's post:
  • bkman1990, itsrobert, James, Juicy Joe, oscillon, SomeRandomStuff, Ste

"Live from London, you're live with BBC News"

In case we didn't know that's it's live, because it's definitely live!

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 14 users Like Josh's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, chevron, chrisherald, harshy, itsrobert, Jayesyn, Juicy Joe, matthieu1221, Rolling News, SomeRandomStuff, ste9, thePineapple, UTVLifer

So, having been at work all day and missing all the discussion on here, watching the 7pm TOTH just now, from what I can gather, not much has changed, other than the countdown. This is disappointing. I thought the plan was not to use Studio E whilst it was refurbished? Anyway, what a letdown!
[-] The following 5 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • bkman1990, freeaxe, SomeRandomStuff, Superman1986, UTVLifer

(03-04-2023, 07:01 PM)Josh Wrote:  "Live from London, you're live with BBC News"

In case we didn't know that's it's live, because it's definitely live!
It's also a little odd to have being 'Live', 'Live Reports', etc. as so much of selling point given that it's hardly a novelty to have live correspondents these days - hasn't been in years. Same with trying to make touchscreens seem like a new thing - it's a very late-2000s idea of what would be considered a radical new direction.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • chevron, chrisherald, Jeff, LargelyALurker, SirBiscuit45